Garden Gal
Cool Member

OK, SO HOW DO YOU STORE HOUSEHOLD FOOD FOR COMPOSTING?

We keep a small plastic container on the sink. Hold about 2 cups of household cooking garbage such as banana peels, orange peels, fresh herb stems, egg shells, etc. When that's full, we move it to a container on the patio that holds about two quarts. When that is full, we move it to a Styrofoam ice chest that is covered and kept on the back porch (it's getting closer to the compost pile now.) Once that is about 3/4 full (I toss in shredded paper, and other browns in between dumping the 2 qt container.) I take it to the compost pile and add it as a layer. It's usually very wet when I add it so I haven't worried about it being too dry.

I just started composting and hope this is ok to do this way. I didn't realize I needed to check my pile for moisture and heat so soon until I started reading the threads here. I just started it about two weeks ago. It's uncovered and we've had a lot of rain. It's about 3' diameter x 3' high. Made from very heavy black plastic that has holes all around it. Looks like the wire fencing cylinders I've seen in threads here, except made from a very heavy gauge plastic held by screws where the ends overlap. got it free from my county :P . I could probably get a second one to start a new transfer bin.

Any thoughts?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow, that's a lot of moving garbage, which is probably getting fairly nasty by the time it is getting moved from the 3rd to the 4th location!

I'm not sure why you are doing all that or why store your kitchen scraps.

I have a bucket that kitty litter came in, plastic with a tight fighting lid. It is maybe 2 gallon size. It just fits in the space under my kitchen sink (actually I have two, one on each side, the other one holds all the recyclable glass, aluminum, etc). All the kitchen scraps go in there. Once a week, I dump it from there directly in to the compost pile. Once on the pile it gets covered with a good layer of weeds/ leaves or whatever I have.

Lots of people have a two or three bin system, where they have a pile that is building and a pile that is settling (and maybe a pile that is finished). Sounds like what you need to avoid all that moving/storing.

The second pile wouldn't be transfer, in the sense that once it goes in there, it's not going anywhere else. But it would be your building pile, where you would be accumulating stuff until appropriately full. And you would put your scraps directly in it, without storing.

rkunsaw

We have a Vita-Mix on the counter.We grind all the waste,peels and eggshells in it then put that in a covered plastic trash bucket along with coffee grounds.When that is full it goes to the compost pile.

Halfway
Green Thumb

we have a few tall folgers plastic "cans" used for the kitchen waste. Usually gets emptied every other day. When one is emptied, we wash that out and let dry while another is in use. That way we avoid mold.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

Hi Rainbowgardner, the main reason for all the steps is that we don't have space for a big container inside the kitchen. The patio, outside the kitchen door is kind of a sitting area too, so we don't really want a big container sitting there, we have enough stuff out there. The main pile is not within easy distance, so it's easier to keep a small container on the sink, move it to the patio until someone heads for the back yard where the "holding" container is, as I have far more green than brown. Then to the pile when I have brown. to mix in. But if it's not a problem to add everything to the pile no matter what order as opposed to layering brown/green/brown/green, then I can eliminate the holding container on the back porch and use it instead for vermicomposting! Would styrofoam work for that?

rot
Greener Thumb

We have cookie jars. They hold about a weeks worth. Fill one, empty into bin, cover, wash out cookie jar, start on the second.

What works best is what works for you.

to sense

Garden Gal
Cool Member

OK after reading your reply to sense, I went in search of cookie jars. I liked the idea that they could be decorative, and user friendly. (One hand operation--lol) Went to Target but found nothing in that realm that was suitable, BUT a visit to the bathroom aisle led me to a small stanless steel trash can with attached lid that pops open when a lever is pressed with one's foot. It now has a home right next to the stainless dog bowls in my kitchen, right by the door, where we can all do hands free garbage tossing. It has a nice little pail inside with a handle that just lifts out for taking out the bin. It will hold enough for about a week, and it will save two steps (no pun intended) in my composting routine. THANKS TO SENSE! :P :P :P

rot
Greener Thumb

A pail in a bucket, a cookie jar, a cat litter bucket. What works best is what works for you. Look for solutions that answer your needs and don't try to adjust things to answer the needs of the compost process.

Thinking about it. I kind of like these open ended survey type questions just to get ideas. Sometimes I'll steal those ideas outright and sometimes I'll apply them with a twist for my circumstances.

Thanks to you all for sharing.

What's a vita-mix?

to sense

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Vita-mix is like a super powerful blender/grinder/processor.

It's another unnecessary step. Stuff will break down faster ground up, but to me it breaks down quite fast enough anyway. My kitchen scraps have all disappeared in about 8-10 weeks in warm weather; who needs faster than that? To me speed beyond that isn't worth having to do the processing and look at my kitchen garbage being poured out as garbage puree and clean the blender. Ugh!

But to each their own. As rot says, what ever works for you.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

How do I store mine. I use either an oblong Tupperware or a freezer bag in the fridge. That way it doesn't rot under the sink. when they are full I take them out. Pretty easy.

VeggieGrower

I'm cheap er.. frugal :roll: , I have a stack of about 5 of the gallon size ice cream buckets with lids. I keep one on the counter and it takes about a week to fill up, give or take. Once it's full it goes by the door to be taken out to the pile on my next trip. The only time I actually use all 5 is in the winter when I can't get to the pile, or during harvest time when I have all the scraps from canning to contend with.

Thomas CA

same as most above...

I have one of those cheap $2 Home Depot buckets with a lid sitting next to my trash bin in the kitchen. Anytime I take the trash out, I take the bucket with me to dump in the compost pile.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Line that metal garbage bin with a 2 ply brown paper bag and you can just take the whole thing out, bag, waste, and all! AND, you won't have to wash your trash can out as much! Woo hoo! Anything to keep from actually touching the slimy remnants of the slop bucket :)

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I use large (gallon size) glass pickle jars.
I use that because it's free (after we ate the pickles).

I keep the lid screwed on, so there is never any odor problem. I don't worry about the scraps getting air while in the jar, because it won't be long until it's dumped outside in the compost anyway.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

all great ideas! Love the brown bag liner idea, except I don't get them that size, only grocery store size. ANY WAY, great idea. As for anything with a screw on lid or anything requiring two-hand operation cuts down my chances of the "LAZY ONE" in my house actually using the container instead of the easier trash can. It's usually his meal in one hand, and the other hand for a beverage. Hence . . . the foot lever was the perfect solution. :P :P He can quickly toss into the container without much effort. :wink:

applestar
Mod

I was too lazy to compose and retype: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94855#94855

I can't stand the odor of spoiling scraps. If I have to wash a container while smelling that all the time I might not compost.... Gixx's idea is a good one but there's no room in the fridge or freezer. :roll:

bettyb
Newly Registered

Garden Gal wrote:We keep a small plastic container on the sink. Hold about 2 cups of household cooking garbage such as banana peels, orange peels, fresh herb stems, egg shells, etc. When that's full, we move it to a container on the patio that holds about two quarts. When that is full, we move it to a Styrofoam ice chest that is covered and kept on the back porch (it's getting closer to the compost pile now.) Once that is about 3/4 full (I toss in shredded paper, and other browns in between dumping the 2 qt container.) I take it to the compost pile and add it as a layer. It's usually very wet when I add it so I haven't worried about it being too dry.

I just started composting and hope this is ok to do this way. I didn't realize I needed to check my pile for moisture and heat so soon until I started reading the threads here. I just started it about two weeks ago. It's uncovered and we've had a lot of rain. It's about 3' diameter x 3' high. Made from very heavy black plastic that has holes all around it. Looks like the wire fencing cylinders I've seen in threads here, except made from a very heavy gauge plastic held by screws where the ends overlap. got it free from my county :P . I could probably get a second one to start a new transfer bin.

Any thoughts?
I use a large plastic coffee can. most cans now have a handle and easy to reach and pickup. the lids snap tight so no smell.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

that was going to be my next container had I not found the stainless steel container. I do like the new coffee "cans"

mrsgreenthumbs

I have an old rubbermaid trash bin just outside my kitchen door. I usually cook with the door open to keep my home cool any way's so as I chop and clean my food the scraps go directly into that bin, when the bin is getting full we toss it into the compost bin (a round tube like structure made out of welded wire and zip ties). In a couple weeks after a few mow's of the lawn I will slide the wire cage off the compost and turn the pile then return the product to the wire bin. Done and done! I tried having a bowl in the kitchen and just carting it off to the compost but that was WAY to inconvenient and knowing myself as I do I know that I must make a system that is easy and available. I try to make my work as simple and easy as possible so I can enjoy the task rather than begrudge it.

sweet thunder

I have a small step-on can in the kitchen with a bucket that lifts out. I line it with a piece of newspaper or paper bag so the scraps come out easily. Every few days it gets dumped into the compost bin where it gets covered with straw or wood chips or some other brown and I rinse out the container, adding the rinse water to the compost pile.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

Thanks MGT for the turning note in your post. I have a similar bin except mine is a very tough plastic, but open on both ends. I had been trying to turn the entire container upside down to turn the contents, but that is far to heavy now. So . . . now I will do the same as you, just slide it off, turn it with a shovel or pitchfork, then return to the bin. How often do you turn yours, and is it "cooking"?

mrsgreenthumbs

Garden Gal wrote:Thanks MGT for the turning note in your post. I have a similar bin except mine is a very tough plastic, but open on both ends. I had been trying to turn the entire container upside down to turn the contents, but that is far to heavy now. So . . . now I will do the same as you, just slide it off, turn it with a shovel or pitchfork, then return to the bin. How often do you turn yours, and is it "cooking"?
This will be my first batch in this compost structure and I am rethinking how I will even do that lol. Yesterday I was doing some brain storming over my little problem. I don't have any more space! YIKES! So I am going to make my chickens do my work for me! I plan on turning the floor of their pen into a compost bin of sorts. I will still collect all my scraps and clippings and grass in the small bin by my kitchen door and then simply toss it into the pen in the AM before I let my hen's out into their pen. Then they will dig and scratch and turn the compost constantly and eat (thus breaking down) the scraps and grass and the bug's including the fly's that the compost tend's to attract and add their own manure. Plus get lot's of treat's and keep them busy. Then after oh... IDK I'm expecting it to happen fast... maybe 6 months I should have wonderful and ready to harvest almost effortless compost.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know MrsGT-- seems like at some point you have to scrape it up off the chicken pen and pile it somewhere else to finish. Otherwise you constantly have more chicken manure added and other stuff and never have finished compost.

mrsgreenthumbs

rainbowgardener wrote:I don't know MrsGT-- seems like at some point you have to scrape it up off the chicken pen and pile it somewhere else to finish. Otherwise you constantly have more chicken manure added and other stuff and never have finished compost.
I was thinking the same thing, I think I'll take what is accumulated after the spring/summer season's are over and leave it be in a pile, and then start a new batch for the fall winter season's. Then I should have practically a continuous supply of compost (depending on how much I use) I wouldn't leave it in there for more than half a year, the hen's might not appreciate that lol. It's an experiment. If it works... It's a whole new option for even more convenient composting and one less reason for people to use natural option's. I mean hey... if they use fish to grow aqua ponics veggies why can't I put the chicken-ness of the chickens to work to make compost to grow my food with?

And if it doesn't work... oh well it was worth a try!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Is it a better idea to have 2 piles? 1 for layering and adding to and one that is finishing. I'm confused about at what point you should stop adding things to your pile, if you only have 1.

Thanks.

Return to “Composting Forum”