jmoore

Yard long beans and dead squash

I planted some yard long beans on a trellis and they are going crazy. I swear they went from nothing to 30 flowers overnight. And then from flowers to 3" long beans the next night. I was expecting these to be sparse producers, but if these keep going I'm gonna have a bumper crop, which is nice.

And the volunteer squash I was letting take it's course gave up the ghost yesterday. I never figured out what it was, but it was a vining variety. It started turning yellow at the plant base and then it moved up the plant. All the leaves were dying. The tips had nice green leaves but no flowers. I spoke to my neighbor and he was convinced it was a winter squash of some sort. So we figured it was just super heat stressed. I pulled it last night and put it in the compost bin. Now I gotta find something to put in the front of the center bed to take it's place. There is okra planted behind it so it will probably be big enough in a month or so to take the spot.

I should get some more pics up.

And lastly, I HATE LEAFMINERS!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

And lastly, I HATE LEAFMINERS!
I second that :evil:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jmoore,

We ate our first big mess of yard longs this evening and filled a quart sized zip log bag for the freezer. My vines are loaded with beans. They grow from 12" long to 24" long almost overnight. We really like eating them. They have a taste slightly similar to fresh asparagus. We also have a lot more summer squash than we can eat so we are giving a lot away. My tomatoes are also setting fruit again. Hopeing we get the rain tomorrow that is forecast.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'll bet that's why they're also called "asparagus beans." Man, I should have put some of those in this year, instead, I just threw in some pole beans. Hopefully I'll still get a good yield.

jmoore

I checked them yesterday and there were some that were over 6"! So doubled in size overnight. I watered them in and cut off a boat load of leafminer damage, but they seem to be doing well. I think I'll have some to eat in the next week or two.

Good suggestion on these Ted. I'm very happy with them so far. Everyone likes asparagus too!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Just so everyone can see how prolific the yard long beans are, here are a couple of photos of young beans. The truly amazing thing about them is the plants never look healthy because they only put a couple of leaves on the vine every eight or ten inches. They always have more beans than leaves.
Click the images to enlarge.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/06-09-10/IMG_2264.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/06-09-10/IMG_2266.jpg[/img]

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”