cbar

Straighten me out on watering...

After reading a bunch of posts here I think I'm going to stick with a full morning watering of my carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli, zucchini and various tomatoes. I'll follow up in the late afternoon with a more gentle misting of the soil.

My question is should I be getting the leaves wet when I water? Or leave that up to when it rains? I've read mixed opinions and would like to have some clarity (if possible!).

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really enjoying this site!

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Chris, you don't want to get the leaves wet when watering. Doing so increases the possiblity of foliage diseases.

EG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Absolutely keep the leaves as dry as possible. On rare occasions and for *very specific* reasons, it can be desireable to get them wet, but not on a regular basis.

Water beneath the plants so that the roots get all the water they need. Transpiration will carry the water up to the leaves via the plant's vascular system.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Vergil's sutures and staples came out today and he's putting weight on the operated leg. The surgeon said V. "looks good." *whew* :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, it's best to keep the leaves dry as much as you can. If it's very humid, introducing more moisture can cause disease to form more rapidly.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

How things vary from place to place. Here it doesn't seem to matter one whit about getting the leaves wet. I am gardening in a field and water once every 7 to 10 days. I turn on the rainbirds and they run for 12 hours. Of course the leaves get wet, its raining.

My rule: Give it a good deep drink then wait a week or more to do it again.

I realize that the relative humidity here is very low compared to you low landers. I think many of the problems you may have are due more to the high relative humidity than getting the leaves wet when watering.

Timlin

I agree with jal_ut. If things are planted too thickly it might make a difference but I water once a week with a sprinkler system and don't worry about wetting the leaves UNLESS I have to water in the late afternoon.

Watering in the morning seems to make no difference at all as the water dries off during the day's sunshine. If it were all cloudy and raining I wouldn't be watering anyway so that bit of worry that the water wouldn't evaporate is irrelevant.

Water once a week or so if there has been no rain and water deeply.......test for yourself to see how the plants react in your area. I think that we are often told these tips as beginner gardeners and we never test it so we pass on the gems and they may not be true.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

cbar wrote:After reading a bunch of posts here I think I'm going to stick with a full morning watering of my carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli, zucchini and various tomatoes. I'll follow up in the late afternoon with a more gentle misting of the soil.
Daily?
Every garden is different, and that may be best for your planting.

But, where practical, I think it's best to water "deeply", less frequently... about once a week or so (as Jal_ut and others have suggested).
I am a big believer in mulch, too; that really helps to retain soil moisture.

mansgirl

We only water about once a week also. Even less if we've had good rain. The only thing I water daily are my flowers. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All good advice... water less frequently but more deeply, so the plants develop good deep roots and put the water on the roots/ soil, not on the leaves.

Jal said "I realize that the relative humidity here is very low compared to you low landers. I think many of the problems you may have are due more to the high relative humidity than getting the leaves wet when watering."

Some of both. The constant high humidity is a problem and it contributes to making it not a good idea to water the plant leaves, because the water does not evaporate off them, the way it does in low humidity areas, just sits there.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Despite my previous post and my crowded garden, I, too, water from the top. Aside from the septoria on the tomatoes towards the end of the season, I really don't have any trouble from it. If you have a bigger garden (and mine's not that big) it's kind of hard to water the whole thing from the bottom unless you make a sizable in some soaker hose.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”