Sengyan

Potassium bicarbonate

I am looking for a source for potasium bicarbonate as a fungal spray at a reasonable cost. My pharmacist quoted me a price of $20/ for 1 lb. which I think is too much. I am in the Edmonton, Alberta, area. Your information will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Sengyan

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Sengyan,

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener. Why not just use baking soda? Here's some home made recipes, including a baking soda fungicide.
https://www.ghorganics.com/page15.html

Newt

Sengyan

Newt. Thank you for your information. In my 'reseach' of the Cornell Formula literature, I learnt that potasium bicarbonate was the only thing that really worked. All others, including sodium bicarbonate, had very little or no effect. Potassium bicarbonate was found to be very effective. This is why I'm looking for it.

Sengyan

Newt
Greener Thumb

I'm wondering what fungal disease you are having problems with. Maybe powery mildew? Milk works for that too.
https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s948323.htm

I found this info when searching for info at Cornell which talks about using baking soda combined with Neem oil.
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/bakingsoda.html

Newt

JPIXI

Hello Sengyan,

Potasium bicarbonate is not easy to obtain, unless you know some whole saler of agricultural products. Potasium bicarbonate is mostly purchased by roots vegetable Bio-culturing farms to control pests.

Potasium bicarbonate works better than Sodium bicarbonate with roses because potasium strengthen the roses, giving longer flowering. Potasium assists roots growth and acts as a feuillage feed. Whereas sodium could dry out the moisture in the feuillage.

It depends on what diseases you are tackling. For roses, there are many ways to deal with their persistance fungal tendency. A good rose grower should learn how to adapt their accessiblity to treatment, to benefit the fulliest of joy.

Personally, I use Sodium bicarbonate, clematis leaf solution or horsetail solution or silver fern solution and Bordelais for fungus control, togather with some other feuillage feed like comfrey or nettles solutions to strengthen my roses. I believe that fungus control spray will injure my rose in some ways, therefore I always make an effort to replemish their lost by some beneficial elements.

There are a lot of beneficial wild herbs around you, and are totally free. If you wish you can do some researches on them like Comfrey, Nettles, and Silver Fern and Horsetail. They are natural feed and pest control that are extremely effective and of no side effects.

Hope it helps.

Amitié,
Pixi

anni
Newly Registered

I to have been looking for information on potassium bicarbonate as I have a problem with apple scab and have been told to use this.Any information to help with the problem would be great thanks,Anni :D :flower:

cjacks1
Newly Registered

I get it at Beers of the World . 5 ounces for a dollar and a few cents. I'm sure it's less if you buy larger quantities. It is sold in most home brewing locations.

dbang10

Sengyan if you are just trying to get rid of powdery mildew sodium bicarb will work if you add one ounce of milk per gallon of water with 1 tablespoon of sodium bicarb. The milk acts like a wetting agent and will spread the solution evenly across your foliage with minimal residue. I also spray seperately with "pure flower" a couple of weeks later. It is a phosphoric acid NPK 0-30-20. I also add one ounce of milk per galllon of water as a wetting agent. You can see my roses and foliage at helpmefind.com member Dave Bang.

Return to “Rose Forum”