dutchshaw
Newly Registered

Something is wrong with my Bonfire Peach Tree

Hi, hope someone can help me. Two years ago I bought a Bonfire Peach Tree and thought it was the dwarf variety that only grows to 5' X 5'. Something very wierd has happened since then. A couple of new shoots grew from the base toward the end of summer last year and I simply thought that the tree was expanding. Cool, right? We'll, fast forward to today and these new shoots are now about 8'-9' tall. While the leaves on this new part of the tree appear to be the same as the original tree in terms of shape (thin, spikey), they are green and not the red color as the original. There are no peaches on this portion either. I dug into the dirt to make sure that this was not another tree that was growing tightly to the Bonfire but it is in fact the same. So apparently I did not buy the "dwarf" variety, but I am confused by the color change and lack of fruit. Do the leaves become red as it matures? Has anyone else experienced this before? I don't know what is going on with this Bonfire. Thanks for any insight that you can give me.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You proably bought the dwarf however the stock tree is sending up suckers so you best prune them off underground because they will sap strength from your dwarf.

dutchshaw
Newly Registered

Interesting. So this "stock tree" will never change color and become like the original peach tree that I thought I purchased?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

No but if you have the time you could probably research the dwarf to see what stock it was grafted to so you know what it is.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”