aucircle
Newly Registered

Help for Deer eating lanscaped Plants!

Hi my parents recently moved into a new home... had the landscape done and a couple of weeks later all are pretty much eaten to the ground. They have actually seen the shadows of the deer outside of their bedroom window so there is no doubt as to what has been feastiing. So far they have eaten the oak leaf hydrangeas, hibiscus, hostas, pretty much everything. And these plants are right beside the house. What can they do to deter this? Thank you in advance for any and all advice!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, the first option is a deer fence that is ten feet tall, the fencing can be bought from most nurseries and is relatively inexpensive. You can use rebar as posts or for a more aesthetically appealing post, you can use wood or stainless steel.

Another option is to plant a hedge of Helianthus maximillani (the maximillian sunflower) which, is a perennial sunflower that has protrusions that extend from the stalk that deer apparently won't cross.

garden_mom

You can also try planting things that deer don't like, although if they're desperate they'll eat just about anything. Also motion sensor lights or sprinklers might help.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

YES! I had forgotten about motion sprinklers, they are great. I went to a conference some years ago and the consensus was that the only plant that for sure, deer won't eat is Death Camus. I'm sure that you can figure out why!

But, experimentation will lead to some plants in your area that they seem to avoid.

Geekcore
Newly Registered

Depending on the size of the yard of course you can try a [url=https://www.aquaart.com/lwshishi.html]Shishi Odoshi[/url]. It's a type of.... water fountain I suppose you'd call it. It makes a rythmic sharp tap noise (about every minute or so depending on a few different things) that would startle and scare any deer out of the area. But some people I find don't care for the noise itself haha but it's all a matter of taste ya know? You could probably also make it cheaper than buying online and such... Just a suggestion. <(^.^)>

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”