tedln
Super Green Thumb

What did you eat from the garden for dinner today.

Everything in my garden is beginning to trickle in now. I've been harvesting a lot of yellow squash for a couple of weeks. Harvested my garlic about three weeks ago. My cucumbers are producing heavy with some really nice, 14" cukes. I'm starting to pick a few tomatoes. My yard long beans have enough on the trellis to make a good pot of beans. We are having a family dinner Saturday, so I will wait until Saturday to harvest the beans and I will have enough for everyone to eat. I really like those yard long beans.

This evening, I grilled some Talapia fillets and yellow squash on the grill. We had some of the ice cold cucumber spears and tomatoes for dinner. Everything but the fish came from the garden and it was very, very good. What did you have from your garden?

Ted

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Nothing at all, I am still planting, I don't even have squash in the ground yet!
Lettuce and radishes were a bust, and nothing is ready, not even blooming, except the pak choi, and I don't think it should be doing that, so it likely bolted too! :(
Poke Sallet is looking good!

applestar
Mod

Cilantro, lemon balm, green onion, and jalapeno chopped up, went into last summer's jar of tomatoes for a quick salsa.

I've been snacking on strawberries and sugarsnap and snow peas all day. Oh, and a lone raspberry :D

Lettuce and more green onions in the chicken salad, but yesterday was the big salad day with 4 kinds of lettuce, Kale, lambs quarters, Japanese parsley, carrot thinnings, and radish, snap peas and snowpeas.

badata2d

BLTs with fresh lettuce !! Sigh, no tomatoes yet...

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Lettuce, green onions, spaghetti sauce from tomato sauce frozen last year, a couple of strawberries.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

A small salad and a bunch of peas with onion and a pinch of cinnamon basil with the peas.

By the way if you haven't grown the cinnamon basil you need to, it's so good.

Oh the main course was chicken marinated in a almond sauce all of this not from the garden.

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

Last night I had a salad with cucumber, tomato and basil. I also had a hand full of raw green beens.

The damn squirrels had a buffet of half ripe tomatoes. I was rather pissed off this morning. : :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :x :x :x

Zapatay

I had some lettuce :) but the dogs ate 5 broccoli plants - my house guests (family from the city) left the garden gate open.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

elementfiftyfour wrote:Last night I had a salad with cucumber, tomato and basil. I also had a hand full of raw green beens.

The damn squirrels had a buffet of half ripe tomatoes. I was rather pissed off this morning. : :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :x :x :x
I built a nice planter box for my herbs this year. I planted sweet basil, lemon thyme, lavender, and sage. They are doing great. For some reason I can't seem to remember that I have some really nice herbs growing when I cook. That thyme would have been great on the fish fillets and the basil would have been great on the squash and with the fresh tomatoes.

Ted

Garden Gal
Cool Member

I built a nice planter box for my herbs this year. I planted sweet basil, lemon thyme, lavender, and sage. They are doing great. For some reason I can't seem to remember that I have some really nice herbs growing when I cook. That thyme would have been great on the fish fillets and the basil would have been great on the squash and with the fresh tomatoes.
I have been really enjoying my mints. I have spearmint, peppermint and lemon balm. I cut some of each and chop it to use in all kinds of recipes. Last night for dinner I layered a one dish meal. I started with some chicken wings, added purchased mushrooms which I sliced, added baby red potatoe chunks (purchased) and red, yellow, and orange bell pepper slices (also purchased). I can't wait till mine are ready! But, I used my basil, tyme, rosemary and sage, and mints all chopped together with garlic and sprinkled over the top. Covered and baked. OMG it was sooooo delicious. Those fresh herbs really make a difference! the only other spice I added were some red pepper flakes and a dash of old bay spice for some heat. My hot peppers are finally showing so I can't wait to be able to add them for the heat.

So Ted, remember those herbs! They add so much to a meal.

petechapman

Bit early in the season for me to harvest much right now....although I am near to enjoying some new potatoes!

But I am enjoying fresh eggs from my three hens who are having a good life in their little ark. A great way to fertilise the garden and also to have fresh eggs each and every day.

jmoore

I pulled my first yard long beans this week. We steamed up a small batch and had them with lunch. They were good, although a little stringy. I'll have to pull them earlier on the next bunch, which is close behind. They are major producers. I use fresh basil and mint when I cook and it adds a lot.

Some of my tom's are almost ready. I think we'll be able to eat them this week sometime.

Nothing else is close, but the green beans are coming along. Black eyed peas, okra a cukes are growing like crazy. They are only maybe 3-4 weeks old but plants are healthy and strong.

My goal this summer is to have a meal using nothing but garden produce and venison or fish I've taken. If the veggies keep moving forward, that should be easy. I've still got venison left from this past season and there is always plenty of fish.

crobi13

Last night I had lentils & sausages and I added carrots, broccoli & green beans from my garden 8)

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Last night we had sauted zucchini and sugar snap peas and roasted red peppers (jarred from last years garden)with garlic and olive oil. Tossed in a jar of sundried tomato Alfredo sauce and served with linguini...

Uh... I've made myself drool ;) I have leftovers for lunch today at work!!! Awe, now I can't wait :D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I found a ripe blackberry!
And that is my harvest!
June is still planting time for me.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Lets see here...I'm surprised how much I have harvested already
  • I used up all my bok choy (pak choi) in April, which I used in salads and such and Pho' soup.

One of the first things I harvest were the carrots I over-wintered. They've made it in a few stir frys and soups.

Harvested Rocket and mixed lettuce greens for side salads

I have harvested and used Broccoli in a few dishes. Made a broccoli tagliatelle. I was lucky to get some average broccoli since it was so hot...thanks to Applestar about the shade cloth!

I've harvested onions throughout the late spring here.

Used a Fairy Tale pumpkin for squash soup (stored from last year)

Harvested 8 heads of napa cabbage and made Lion's Head Soup and a mean coleslaw ;) and a few stir frys.

Tuscan Kale and Curly kale is going bonkers (keeping it well watered) and shaded. I will be making a soup with some of it, just need a hamhock.

I have also harvested a ton of strawberries. In which I made a strawberry dessert. It consisted of rice pudding with a jam I made with the strawberries and crunchy meringue.

One of my favoirte things that I have harvest thus far would have to be the Cauliflower. It was a orange Cauliflower, I tossed that up in a stir fry with some left over broccoli and napa cabbage. still have a few growing out their that I can't wait to use.

I have a few chilies and peppers I could pick...but I think I'll wait.

I also overwintered some garlic that I have used in a ton of dishes. It is kinda small, but it formed some decent cloves. The garlic scapes were used in cooking as well. I love those things.

I have also been using some of the canned roasted peppers and pickled peppers from last year as well :).
I'm a bit of a foodie...
Last edited by BrianSkilton on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I have had 1 strawberry (before the dog ate the plant) peppers are almost ready, corn is but waist high... everything is coming just not quite yet, but everyone is making me sooo hungry with their talk of the fresh foods!!!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Green beans, squash, potatoes, pesto, lots of herbs, blackberries. Tomatoes are green, corn and okra is not ready. We will have beets tonight.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Here are a few pictures...
[img]https://www.phantom360.com/Gardening/Dish1.jpg[/img]
Nothing beats fresh veg from the garden
[img]https://www.phantom360.com/Gardening/Dish2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.phantom360.com/Gardening/Dish3.jpg[/img]
Stir fry with napa, orange cauliflower and broccoli from garden
[img]https://www.phantom360.com/Gardening/Dish4.jpg[/img]
Broccoli with homemade tagliatelle.
[img]https://www.phantom360.com/Gardening/Dish5.jpg[/img]
Rice pudding with strawberries from garden
[img]https://www.phantom360.com/Gardening/Dish6.jpg[/img]
Lions Head Stew with Napa from garden

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Oh that all looks absolutely delicious!!! Its almost lunch time here and I swear I can smell it!
I cant wait until next year when I can try some cabbage and broccoli and all those other wonderful veggies!

Thomas CA

stir fried some ground pork with garlic, ginger, eggplant, bell pepper, green onion, thai chiles, and thai basil.

Tasty! :lol:

applestar
Mod

The orange cauliflower -- is it Chedder? -- looks GREAT! Really brings out the colors. They're F1's though aren't they? I think that's why they didn't make the cut when I was buying seeds (I had to eliminate SOMEthing :roll: :wink:)

Overwintered carrots -- I let some of them go to flower. Try it! Well, basically Queen Ann's Lace, but they look beautiful. Why grow inedible wildflower when you can grow edible ones instead? :wink: I planted extra carrot seeds in my Sunny Meadow Garden for next years flowers. Same with parsley (chartreuse flowers).

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Yeah AppleStar, the variety is Cheddar I believe. Yeah think they are F1's. The one I have in that picture is the one that started to separate on me. I have a real humdinger out there that is HUGE. You should try it Apple, its growing the best here for me. My romanesco is already starting to separate. If I can grow Cheddar good here you won't have a problem. Here's a little info on it:

"80-100 days. First discovered in the Bradford Marsh in Canada in 1970, Cheddar was smaller and less tasty than white cauliflower, but the color was alluring. Over the years, using conventional breeding techniques, it was crossed with a white variety to create a delicious, high vitamin content cauliflower. The curds contain approximately 25 times more beta carotene than white cauliflower. Excellent flavor and color whether eaten raw or cooked. The orange color will brighten any relish tray for sure."

I also have purple cape cauliflower growing, however it is an heirloom from the 1800's, which is really cool.

"240 days. A colorful winter garden treat. Purple Cape brings in the new year with its sweet tasting, bright purple curds. This cold tolerant cauliflower develops a head inside the protection of tightly wrapped leaves. When fully mature the leaves gently unfold revealing the scrumptious 6–8 inch crown. Holds nicely on the plant for up to three weeks. Matures in February."
Thomas CA wrote:stir fried some ground pork with garlic, ginger, eggplant, bell pepper, green onion, thai chiles, and thai basil.

Tasty! :lol:
Sounds good Thomas! Man I love stir-fry...so simple but yet so dang good.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Well let's see......

Cabbage Looper

Hornworm

Fruitworm

mites

Oh wait....What did I eat from the garden as opposed to what is eating my garden.

hahaha...that changes things.

Nothing yet, but looking forward to the peppers and tomatoes in a few weeks!!!

:oops:

Garden Gal
Cool Member

purple and orange cauliflower! oh my! I can't wait to try that! where do I sign up? I want some seeds!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Got my first pickins of okra today. The weather is finally abusive enough for it ;) soooooooooo... I FRIED IT! :D and it was good, really good! Almost as good as my first "may-moe!"

Garden Gal
Cool Member

just how long DOES it take for Okra? I planted from seed for the first time May 8, and to date I have about a 4 inch tall seedling. Then two more finally came up and they are two and three inches respectively. I love okra, so I planted about 8 plants, THANK GOD. I'm not sure I'm going to get any!

bcallaha
Cool Member

We have a Luby's cookbook, and one of my favorite vegetable dishes is their Roasted Mixed Vegetables. The main ingredients, Onions, Zucchini, and Yellow Squash came from our garden. We're still a week away for any green peppers and probably 3 weeks away from tomatoes (other main ingredients).

Boy was it good!!!

We've been eating Brocolli, Brussel Sprouts, Peas, and Cabbage also.

Brad

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

just how long DOES it take for Okra?
I planted April 27. Late for my area. ( I think I was right on time :) ) I just got my first pickins! It was only maybe 20 pods and they were small and tender! I planted 2 45ft rows of it :D. You should DEF plant more! It likes hot humid weather too. My nanny always said, "You wouldn't be gettin any okree till you see the sweat drip off the end of ya nose."

it sure is worth the heat and sweaty face :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sjohnson9206

I've been chowing on my Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes each night.. usually 2-3, but last night a feast of 10. Cukes are going crazy, I've given away 9 already and used 3... 3 more in the fridge. Zucchini are not faring well... BER, I've given away 3 and have 3 in the fridge. Getting about 10 strawberries a week from my new beds.. trying to train runners at the moment too.

Lots of green tomatoes, and I have one whopper turning red.. maybe tonight is my lucky night?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Okay Brian, it is unfair to save up photos from your garden meals and then post all of them at the same time. :D You have photos and we only have memories.

I suppose we have eaten some of everything in my garden except carrots. I'm thinking about getting up a little early tomorrow and harvesting some carrots. You have to do the heavy work in the morning before the sun gets a chance to become a blast furnace. We have eaten a ton of straight neck and crook neck squash and I've given a bunch away. The netting I have used to protect the squash beds from vine borers has worked well. I haven't lost a single plant. So far, we have eaten squash grilled, baked, steamed, fried (without oil), and a few other ways. We haven't eaten it raw in a salad, but we probably will.

The cucumbers were really good this year and produced well, but the heat has caught up with them. They don't produce well when it is this hot. They continue growing, but not producing.

I still have a lot of large onions in the ground. The tops are gone, so I have to take a small garden spade and turn some dirt over to find them, but they are super sweet and worth the effort.

I'm harvesting two or three tomatoes per day, and they are great; but I didn't get the production I was was hoping for this year due to the early arrival of the high heat. I'm working on a way to get them in the ground a full month earlier next year and protect them from late frost. I also will need to start my tomato seedlings germinating in January when I plant my onions outside.

We have eaten and given away a lot of vegetables this year and it has been a good garden with a nice fall garden to look forward to.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Haha tedln, sorry about that man. I have more pics, but I will hold off a little to keep your sanity. :D Just made some strawberry jam, the strawberries are just going nuts. Your way ahead with the squash and the tomatoes, sounds like you have been full into the garden, especially if you had to give some squash away and such. I also recently made a kale and potato soup with broc, napa, orange cauliflower. Not sure how I have kept the Black Tuscan Kale and the Curly Kale from bolting, but its doing well. Keep us updated on what your using tedln, we would love to see some pictures! :)

Garden Gal
Cool Member

Ok, I can't compete with Brian, but for breakfast this morning I had stir fried tofu seasoned with herbs from my garden. It was scrumptious! I can't wait till I can use my OWN peppers, onions, and tomatoes though!

[img]https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad55/mphope/Welcome%20to%20My%20East%20Coast%20Garden/IMG_0615.jpg[/img]

YIPPIE!!!! I finally figured out how to add a PHOTO!!!!!!! :P :D :lol:

GardenJester

Chives... lots lots of chives... getting sick of it. snow peas, radishes, and carrots. peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, zukes are blooming but nothing eatible just yet.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

Well, this evening I went to check on my garden and discovered this beautiful purple eggplant whispering ever so softly to me. So I picked it. Washed it, and five minutes later (ok a few minutes longer than that) I ATE IT! Impromptu eggplant parmesean. OMG it was soooooo good. First one of the season. Here's the before and after! I'm having so much fun . . . :lol:

[img]https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad55/mphope/IMG_0616.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad55/mphope/IMG_0617.jpg[/img]

ya'll have created a monster! :P

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Strawberries for dessert. :D

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02321.jpg[/img]

Garden Gal
Cool Member

Beautiful Eric!

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

You've made two amazing dishes GardenGal! I would like to tuck into that egg plant parmesan :D. Its so much fun to create a dish based on what's growing in the garden.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

MY FIRST MELON!!!This is an Ambrosia melon. Planted on April 27. I documented it's progress from the moment I first saw it!!! Here's from start to finish! And I kept seeds cause it tasted so sweet and was so early. AND perfect looking :) I cut it up and ate it while it was still heated from the sun. It was my very first homegrown melon...I'm extremely proud :D

[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff051.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff148.jpg[/img]
Last week! It was still green.
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff155-1.jpg[/img]
It turned orange on the skin 3 days ago!!! Excitement and anticipation was mounting!
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff164.jpg[/img]

Today I could smell it!!! and it slipped right off the vine :D :D :D
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff165.jpg[/img]
The seeds to share :)
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff167.jpg[/img]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Okay Gardengal,

Now tell us how to grow that tofu. It looks great! :shock:

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”