TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Another year, another delay

Two days ago I was a happy gardener just finishing up soil prep on my new potato patch, today, after it stops raining I'll be a ditch digger diverting the flash flood running through the new potato patch, pumpkin patch, corn patch, and strawberry patch. Then I can get back to the other things that need to be finished before I can plant the zillions of things sitting in little pots all over the place. I always plan on planting on the last frost date and end up getting everything in sometime before mid June, a month later.

What about you?

applestar
Mod

Oh, me too. :roll: And there never seems to be enough garden space to plant everything either. :lol:

In a way, this forum is a way to balance things -- with the folks in the warmer southern states posting about how big they're plants are getting, the harvests they are gathering, I end up *TRYING* to do everything earlier than is strictly necessary... or even wise considering the weather patterns in my area.

So last year, I got things planted out way ahead of my usual timing, but the spring weather was great for the cool weather crops and tomatoes, and they did better than I had expected. Peppers and Eggplants, on the other hand, did not fare so well.

This year, in spite of myself, I was ready to plant at last average frost date. So far, the weather has not been cooperating. We're finally getting the tomato planting weather, almost two weeks after Mothers Day and nearly a month after the last average frost date. The trouble is, the cool weathers are at their peak or just starting their harvest cycle.

<sigh> *SOMEDAY* I'll get the succession planting right. On the bright side, I had a LOVELY assortment of salad greens for lunch today, along with the snap peas and carrot thinnings. :wink: :D

ronbre
Cool Member

we are bone dry and there are wildfires in central N lower peninsula of Michigan..so I guess I'd rather have your rain..oh well..we all have our little problems

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have tomatoes drowning outside, and plants stalling in the other mobile due to the temps below 60 degrees. Nope, no early start here, except the transplants, that are still inside and not drowning.

One good thing about gardening on a hillside, it drains, well, all but he pots that are level! There are drainage holes, but they just can't drain fast enough.

But, hey, the leggy cabbages, aren't vines anymore, they actually look like cabbage plants! The poke sallet is getting huge!
Weeds know what to do... I got to learn from them!

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Garden doing well so far ... "knock on wood".
Gonna' get out and sow some more seeds today, ahead of the rain that we have in the forecast for later today and tomorrow.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Thank the gods for huge blue tarps. I should be able to get some things in the ground as soon as the rain lets up.

Gerrie

:( It's still cool, overcast AND (ta-da), raining! I planted my tomatoes at least a week after our last frost date, then we had strong heavy winds and rain, covered them, got sunny, uncovered them, got cold one night, covered 'em. They are now uncovered and doing absolutely nothing. (At least they haven't died). If the poor things could think they'd be wondering why they're in the ground. The lettuce is still doing well, ditto parsley, snap peas and snow peas. Which brings me to my question: what does everyone do with the snap peas that got too big and tough while it rained and I didn't get out there enough to pick them in a timely fashion? I have lots of nice ones too, but about half are big. Also where should I post this question? Apple? Ozark Lady? ideas?

Liska

So far, everything is growing. One strawberry plant has decided to put out three blooms, so I'm hopeful maybe I'll get something from one of them :) My lettuces are ready for me to start cutting leaves off and munching!

Aside from that, I went to lots and lots of heat/100 degree days, so lots and lots of rain. Thank goodness I have my garden boxes where they are, or they would have gotten nailed by the 60mph gusts of wind.

And it's raining again- a huge downpour.

Knock on wood, I've been lucky with bugs so far. A couple problems with chipmunks digging holes beside my cantaloupe and strawberries, and in a potted pepper on my front porch, but that's been it.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I just got the last of the main plants in today between rains. YAY! [potatoes tomatoes, peppers, corn, melons, cucumbers, pumpkins now in]. The peppers and some tomatoes had to be planted in wet clay. Some deer fencing has to go up around the newly sprouted corn, and then I get to double dig two cruddy beds for late crops.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

If it makes anyone feel better, only 3 of my toms are in the ground and my snap peas. Everything else is still not planted due to the latest hunk of cement in my garden. -sigh- At least it will be in on monday.

gaberdeen

I am so glad to read this post. I'm in NJ and just finally got my tomatoes and peppers in the ground today. I'm hoping to get the string beans planted later today and I found an already started watermelon plant in walmart. Hope its not too late to get it going. :)

Liska

I couldn't resist, and went and picked up a couple more plants today, along with a giant pot to plant them in, and soil. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend! I really need to stop, though, and concentrate on keeping my plants safe and sound, as opposed to planting more!

Made an attempt to put the long-wanted fence around my garden boxes, though, and couldn't even get the posts more than two inches in the ground. Damn rocks. Lots of digging to do :cry: :? :(

On a more positive note, I have a friend coming over tonight to harvest some of the lettuce leaves with me! yay!

mansgirl

ronbre wrote:we are bone dry and there are wildfires in central N lower peninsula of Michigan..so I guess I'd rather have your rain..oh well..we all have our little problems
Ugh.. come a little further south.. like Grand Rapids area. Its been raining on and off all week. We had sun yesterday, thats it since Sunday. I didn't know there were wild fires up there! Stay safe and good luck staying wet!

gaberdeen

Well to add insult to injury after finally planting my garden today I let the dog out. Turned my back for one minute and yes the darn dog dug up about half in the blink of an eye. Anyone want a dog? :evil:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”