Piker
Newly Registered

Too late for strawberries in Michigan?

Hey all,

I'm in Michigan (zone 5) and I just expanded my garden to plant strawberries for next year. I saw some june bearing dormant plants at home depot (sequoia) and am thinking of planting tomorrow.

Going to plant them in 2 ft rows about 3 feet apart. Anyway, since it's usually recomended that strawberries be planted in early spring or fall, I'm wondering what to expect if I plant them now.

Should I expect any flowering? Should I let runners grow into plants as I would if I had planted in the spring or will it be too late for them to develop? Any other tips or reason I should absolutley not follow through with my plans to plant in the next few days?

Thanks in advance for any help.

applestar
Mod

You may or may not get flowers, depending on the vigor of the plants. As soon as the roots are established, they'll start sending out runners all through the season, so you don't need to worry about that. Just make sure they aren't stressed from drought or too much rain (if you tend to get a lot of rain, be sure to plant in well drained area and observe the optimum depth of crown to plant).

Piker
Newly Registered

Thanks for the feedback, I just planted them and I guess we'll see. The soil was really wet and a pain to work but wanted to get them in ASAP... considering we have rain the next few days it had to be done.

Anyway, not much to do now other than wait, some of the dormant plants looked pretty rough.

Return to “All Other Fruit”