supagirl277

who here has gardening fever? cause I'm going crazy!

What crazy things have you guys done or just burst your excitement! I feel like I just want to keep tending my little ones or plant more :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

There must be a program for us. 12 step or otherwise. PLEASE no offense to those IN programs for whatever reasons.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have a problem with wanting to plant something new everyday and sometimes do whether I need it or not or whether I will actually use it or not. Maybe just plant to watch it grow for the heck of it and something to do.

I also stroll through the gardens WAY too many times a day just to see if something grew a tiny little bit since ten minutes ago.

My name is Don and I'm a Gardeningalholic. :shock:

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

gixx - ha! Psst! If anyone sees a redneck in the garden at 2 am with flashlight and shotgun in hand - then that'd be me....hehe..It's how I find all of my bugs. It's a sickness, I tell ya....Well, gotta go check the garden again...hehe

EG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

engineeredgarden wrote:gixx - ha! Psst! If anyone sees a redneck in the garden at 2 am with flashlight and shotgun in hand - then that'd be me....hehe..It's how I find all of my bugs. It's a sickness, I tell ya....Well, gotta go check the garden again...hehe

EG
I can't believe you would bring a shotgun to the garden.

You could hit a beneficial insect, I prefer a .22. :lol:

Cerbiesmom

OMG, I thought it was just me bc it was new and exciting. So I'm gonna do this forever now? I've been checking several times a day, I haven't started going out at night yet with the flashlight.

albucsfan
Cool Member

Cerbiesmom wrote:OMG, I thought it was just me bc it was new and exciting. So I'm gonna do this forever now? I've been checking several times a day, I haven't started going out at night yet with the flashlight.
:lol: Since my day job starts @ 6am I have been known to head out @ 4am with flashlight in hand "just to check on things" :lol:

Of course, I also get to catch the "dawn patrol" spiders, centipedes etc. that I don't see later in the day :D

supagirl277

I went outside at night when it was pouring rain with my cellphone as a light to check out my potted herbs on the deck :) and to make sure cats weren't hiding out under the porch swing

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I think everyone hits the point where they wake up in the middle o the night to pee, peek outside, then throw on slippers and decide to go out for a quick slug hunting session :twisted:
My neighbors think I'm nuts but that's ok seeing as they are the biggest *COUGH* on the planet anyway...
I started thinking this morning I'd rather live in a complete dump of a trailer on several acres than this nice big house with Dr. Jekle/Mr. Hyde the drunk on one side, the jerk who thinks his property line comes right to my HOUSE and screams about my 2 year old and calls the city about anything he can think of on every neighbor on the block on the other side, and the single mom across the street who works second shift so her teenage son throws mass parties several nights a week with blaring music pot smoking on the porch and cars flying up the street 50 mph.
:( 2 and a half years will go by fast right?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Those neighbors really help you save those pennies up, huh?

Good incentive to not spend, spend, spend!

I must have "recovered", I have never went to garden by flashlight, unless a frost warning was issued late. And sometimes I don't see the garden for a day or two.

My plant growing shelf is within reach of my computer, so maybe I haven't recovered, I just have a "fix" close at hand? Hmmm? Maybe I do have issues... and when too wet to photograph the garden I take photos inside....

I used to take photos of my kids monthly, thought that was obcessive, now I take plant photos daily... uh oh... maybe I haven't recovered.

Well, I only photographed the violets today, to remember the color of the blooms, and the Rex Begonias to keep the bloom colors separate in my mind, there is a logical reason for..... -helpsos- Okay, what is the hotline number?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Ozark Lady wrote: My plant growing shelf is within reach of my computer
Isn't that a bit like the alcoholic who keeps the bottle in their desk drawer? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

No, no, I am good to go... I am recovered... see what I look at as I wash dishes...

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/000_0214_phixr.jpg[/img]

I don't have a problem.. -wall-

There is hope, see... you get over it! Uh well!

Okay, I am putting the newly arrived irises in the bathtub, until tomorrow, so I can check on them tonight...

I am fine, honest! :lol:

albucsfan
Cool Member

Ozark Lady wrote:
Okay, I am putting the newly arrived irises in the bathtub, until tomorrow, so I can check on them tonight...

I am fine, honest! :lol:
The only thing I know for sure about the people who used to live here is that they LOVED irises :lol: ....they are so thick on the ground here that I have found them growing out of the holes in cinder blocks, or packed together so tight they wont even bloom...now if someone would just come dig them up...... :)

Nick D

Basically the same as what gixxerific posted. :)

My garden started with two roma and two beefsteak tomato plants from lowe's, and a couple packets of bell and jalapeno seeds. I planted the tomatoes outside, and started the peppers from seed, and once those germinated and actually lived and I realized I COULD do this...I was hooked.

I now have 16 tomato plants, about that many pepper plants, five rows of corn, two rows of sunflowers, two or three hills each of yellow crookneck squash, cucumber and cantaloupe, two eggplant, at least three different types of radish (cherry belle, crimson giant and white icicle), and a couple heads of lettuce.

I feel like I've inadvertently grown myself a third full-time job (work and my daughter are the other two :P ), but the satisfaction of seeing it all sprout and grow is worth it, and I absolutely will be at it again next year. :D

Cerbiesmom

So I've been measuring my back yard to make a bigger garden this fall. I wanted to make sure I'd stick with it before I went all out, but I'm so sad that I don't' have any more room to plant things. I have a gardening problem.

Zapatay

It hot in Chicago - I'm pregnant so it's nearly a billion degrees outside.

So hot I waited until about 1030 to water my plants... No shotgun but I did have two dogs (150lb boy and 127lb girl) right next to me :)

This morning at 5am I went outside again just to make sure I did an ok job of watering.... noticing a few things I'd like to do tonight at 1030

SWMOgardens
Cool Member

I am really into garden photography now. Try it, it is a great way to enjoy your garden.

[img]https://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/swmogardens/100_3711.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

I'm trying to at least glance at every post in every thread, but it's a busy time of the year with everybody posting about all kinds of interesting topic. Sometimes I have trouble deciding which thread to reply to, and sometimes, my comments seem applicable to more than one thread! 8)
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137686#137686
don't forget to read the followup two posts down:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137744#137744

supagirl277

So your picture applestar looks like a tomato. What is it?

Liska

ME kinda :D I just finally got my last three plants into the ground yesterday, and I tend to go out and stare at the garden and talk to my plants. We got a major rain a few days ago, so I don't need to water them yet, and am going otherwise nuts just waiting for them to start growing!

One of my tomatoes got a mini flower on it today. I'm hopeful :)

But until then, all I can do is sit by my plants and talk to them and encourage them to grow lots! -_-

the greenest

I planted like a billion gourds I'm so stupid I don't have enough room lol :)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Think trellis, think vertical, you have more room than you think!

I did that one year, I planted lots of gourds. Hey did you know the really immature ones are edible, and taste like squash? Ask me how I know... :lol:

the greenest

how do you know?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I planted both squash and gourds, and got them mixed up.

So, I ate some off of both plantings, and later discovered, squash do not get the proper hard shell, but gourds taste pretty good....young.

I figured that by cooking some of each, we could tell, we couldnt'.

Zapatay

the greenest wrote:I planted like a billion gourds I'm so stupid I don't have enough room lol :)
lol lol

Liska

Hooray, my strawberries plants are flowering!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It has rained so much I can't get to my garden much.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I wish it would rain! I have been watering!
We got a dust settler, but not a real rain.

the greenest

ozark lady your lucky see we don't have dusty soil so it dosnt matter that much that we don't need a lot of rain but we are being soaked :( :!:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I will trade you a day of rain for one of sun shine Ozark Lady. :roll:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Deal!

How about tomorrow? I could use the rain, and you could use the sun.

My hubby keeps telling me... don't water the rain is coming... umm yes, someday!

I hope it isn't like last year, dry spring and wet during harvest!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the swap, I hope you get your sunny day!

About 10 minutes after midnight, the thunderstorm hit.
And this was great, since I had just fertilized the forest garden yesterday, but due to a tree being down (from a storm) I couldn't drive back there, so I was hand carrying and obviously they needed more water than I had energy to carry.

My fertilizer is: wood ashes, bone meal, fish meal, and cottonseed meal. I plan to top that with some good old compost from the barn, and then feed it with some chicken manure. That should get things cooking! And now the rain, watered it in well, so now it is just get the manure and I am good to go.

Great trade! And today is sunny and bright... cool.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

When a tree falls where I can get it it becomes fire wood, I am ashamed to say I must have 7 or more chain saws. :oops:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”