PrarieHey
Newly Registered

Watermelon Radish/Opinions please.

Hello,

This is the 1st time I have grown this variety of radish. It looks (size) and tastes more like a turnip. I was very impressed with it unique color inside. Anyone else tried it this year? 8)

Good gardening,

Prariehey

[img]https://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b474/prarie_hey/WatermelonRadish.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I tried that variety lasy year. It didn't do very well. You sure have some nice ones there.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I grew it last year for fun. It gets huge. We ate most of them roasted with potatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil and herbs.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Any taste difference between the large and smaller ones. :?:

tylianna

I pulled two out of my garden yesterday and they looked like white carrots. Does that mean they need more time? I made a mistake and planted carrots with them a la french method, and now I am deciding on whether I need to pull the watermelon radishes to try to save carrots, or just plant another row of carrots! HAHA that was one of my experiments this year. Another row that I did that with, I only used a jellybean radish mixture and the carrots are doing just fine after I harvested the radishes.

Your radishes look great! I might just plant some with my turnips if they take as long!

lissaannjon
Newly Registered

ty, I just pulled one this morning. this is my first year having them as well and mine too arn't near as large as prairies are yet.

tylianna

lisa, I wonder if it is the heat wave we got.. It's too bad, I was hoping to try them out since my kids don't care for the spiciness of the other radishes. Oh well, lets hope my turnips did well.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”