SeaOfGreen

Sevin Dust

I'm curious as to how sevin dust stays active even after watering or rain. If water washes it away then how does protect the plants? It says to only apply once every 7-12 days but I water my garden every other day.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

SeaOfGreen wrote:It says to only apply once every 7-12 days

:shock: Oh my. That's all I have to say about that.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Because it's so toxic it never really washes away?
I certainly would NOT apply it any more often if that's what you're thinking!!!
There's a reason that stuff has been banned almost everywhere but here.....

Decado
Green Thumb

The best answer is to just not use Sevin. It's toxic and dangerous and kills your soil culture.

SeaOfGreen

Dixana wrote:Because it's so toxic it never really washes away?
What would you suggest I use?

Decado
Green Thumb

SeaOfGreen wrote:
Pyrethrin (chrysanthemum extract), or nothing at all, there are some other methods to keep bugs away but I can't give any advice without knowing what kind of problems you're having. What exactly are you using it for? What are you having problems with? If you weren't having any problems before you started using it then just don't worry about it. Plenty of organic gardeners use no insecticides, even pyrethrin and they don't have bug problems. Remember that insecticides kill beneficial bugs as well, such as bees.

SeaOfGreen

Decado wrote:
SeaOfGreen wrote:
Dixana wrote:
Pyrethrin (chrysanthemum extract), or nothing at all, there are some other methods to keep bugs away but I can't give any advice without knowing what kind of problems you're having. What exactly are you using it for? What are you having problems with? If you weren't having any problems before you started using it then just don't worry about it. Plenty of organic gardeners use no insecticides, even pyrethrin and they don't have bug problems. Remember that insecticides kill beneficial bugs as well, such as bees.
The only thing I have seen on the plants are little yellowish things that look like fleas but there is plenty of holes in my leaves. Also I'm most certainly not a organic gardener. Is the sevin dust not safe to use and have I poisened my plants because I have used alot on them?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

SeaOfGreen wrote:
What would you suggest I use?[/quote]
That totally depends on the type of pests you're having problems with.
Sevin is bad for beneficial bugs (which means more bad bugs if/when you stop using it) as well as people and the soil.
Tell us what kind of bad critters are invading your veggies and I'm sure we can give you loads of suggestions on how to get rid of them.......without killing everything else in the process :)

SeaOfGreen

thats just it I have no idea what is eating my plants. can I buy pyrethrin products at home depot or walmart?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Take and post a picture of the plant damage, and if possible, the bugs themselves. Though, there are a few people on here that might very well know what "little yellow bugs" are by that description alone.
As far as damage already done with sevin, how close to ready are the veggies? Just blossoms or tiny and still developing, I wouldn't worry. A tomato ready to eat any day now.....well....I wouldn't eat it.
There are other simple things too such as neem oil and soapy water, sometimes even a hard blast of the hose. But what works best really does depend on the bug problem.

SeaOfGreen

Dixana wrote:Take and post a picture of the plant damage, and if possible, the bugs themselves. Though, there are a few people on here that might very well know what "little yellow bugs" are by that description alone.
As far as damage already done with sevin, how close to ready are the veggies? Just blossoms or tiny and still developing, I wouldn't worry. A tomato ready to eat any day now.....well....I wouldn't eat it.
There are other simple things too such as neem oil and soapy water, sometimes even a hard blast of the hose. But what works best really does depend on the bug problem.
Here is a pic of my japanese eggplant with insect damage.
https://s766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/miketmmil/?action=view&current=031.jpg

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

seaOfGreen,

Looks like flea beetle damage or maybe the cucumber beetle.

Decado
Green Thumb

SeaOfGreen wrote:
Decado wrote:
SeaOfGreen wrote: Pyrethrin (chrysanthemum extract), or nothing at all, there are some other methods to keep bugs away but I can't give any advice without knowing what kind of problems you're having. What exactly are you using it for? What are you having problems with? If you weren't having any problems before you started using it then just don't worry about it. Plenty of organic gardeners use no insecticides, even pyrethrin and they don't have bug problems. Remember that insecticides kill beneficial bugs as well, such as bees.
The only thing I have seen on the plants are little yellowish things that look like fleas but there is plenty of holes in my leaves. Also I'm most certainly not a organic gardener. Is the sevin dust not safe to use and have I poisened my plants because I have used alot on them?
Organic gardener or not Sevin is dangerous and can cause cancer, not to mention it kills beneficial bugs like I said (bee death being a big problem with sevin) and it kills your soil culture (which helps your plants grow nicely). You shouldn't look down on organic gardening like it's some crazy thing, in fact once you establish a good soil culture it's less work than non organic, and you can get higher yields than non organic and you won't deplete your soil like non organic. I used to be in your boat (although I never used pesticides, very dangerous) but the good people on this forum brought me around and hey, maybe one day we'll convince you to as well.
SeaOfGreen wrote:thats just it I have no idea what is eating my plants. can I buy pyrethrin products at home depot or walmart?
Home Depot is a likely place to find it, although your best bet would be a local nursery, it's a fairly common thing. And if it is beetles eating your plants like doubledogfarm said, then the pyrethrin will help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a couple articles about the Sevin:

https://www.dontspraycalifornia.org/carbarylog.htm

https://www.healthyworld.org/sevin.html

In the second one it mentions that as well as being harmful to humans, to the environment, to all the aquatic life in the rivers and streams (once it washes off your plants into the soil and water table), to all the beneficial insects that would otherwise be protecting your plants and pollinating the, the Sevin is also harmful to your plants.

A good starting place for what to do instead, would be to blend up some garlic, onion, and hot peppers in water. Let it sit for a few hours, then strain the solids out. Add a few drops of soap (NOT detergent, dishwashing liquid is detergent) and a little bit of salad oil to help it stick to the plants. Spray that on all the affected areas, being sure to do the undersides of the leaves.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Here's a couple articles about the Sevin:

In the second one it mentions that as well as being harmful to humans, to the environment, to all the aquatic life in the rivers and streams (once it washes off your plants into the soil and water table), to all the beneficial insects that would otherwise be protecting your plants and pollinating the, the Sevin is also harmful to your plants.

A good starting place for what to do instead, would be to blend up some garlic, onion, and hot peppers in water. Let it sit for a few hours, then strain the solids out. Add a few drops of soap (NOT detergent, dishwashing liquid is detergent) and a little bit of salad oil to help it stick to the plants. Spray that on all the affected areas, being sure to do the undersides of the leaves.
There's a new one for me to remember. What's it good for, any flying insect?

Oh, and to add one more thing about sevin (like that's really necessary :lol: ), I read that it was banned in the UK.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Does it ever seem to anyone else that we're like the pesticide/herbicide intervention group? :lol:

Seaofgreen I would try the soapy water first. It's cheap and easy. Original Dawn dish SOAP (the plain stuff not dish liquid or the antibacterial hand soap) is easy to find anywhere (big box stores, even the dollar store) and a few squirts in a spray bottle with water shaken up is easy to apply to all sides of a plant.
Thus far this has taken care of spider mites, caterpillars, and he ants seem to hate it too, in my garden. I'm also 99% sure I read a thread recently that it works for flea beetles as well.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Whenever you have questions about any chemical that you may use in your home or garden you can get the MSDS. Just do a google search.
[url=https://www.afpmb.org/pubs/standardlists/msds/6840-00-932-7297_msds_sevin.pdf]MSDS for Sevin[/url]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thanks jal_ut :shock: I wouldn't recommed this to my worst enemy.

SeaOfGreen

rainbowgardener wrote:Here's a couple articles about the Sevin:

This sounds pretty good so I'll give it a try. The last thing I want to do is use something that will harm the enviroment,pets and most of all my family and I. There is a large variety of insects where I live that feed on my garden. Like the dreaded dasymutilla occidentalis(red&black ant) so I just hope this technique is powerful enough to ward off all the little invaders.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:clap:

Tate
Cool Member

Decado wrote:
SeaOfGreen wrote:
I use a product called Diatect V, which is a Pyrethrin (chrysanthemum extract). I use this for fire ants. This is the only pesticide I use other than water and insecticidal soap for aphids. I assume this stuff is okay to use. Does anyone disagree? I haven't read anything contrary so far.

https://www.planetnatural.com/site/diatect-v-insect-control.html

Thanks,

Tate

SeaOfGreen

Ok I got rid of all my Sevin Dust and mixed up the concoction Rainbowgardener suggested. I also bought a EcoSmart brand insecticide that is labeled organic and non-toxic. Its' active ingredients are rosemary,clove and thyme oils. Are these types effective and safe to use?
Also all of the pyrethrin products I could find were for flowers and fruit orchards. Can I still use it on my outdoor vegie garden?

farmerlon
Green Thumb

SeaOfGreen wrote: The only thing I have seen on the plants are little yellowish things that look like fleas but there is plenty of holes in my leaves...
I can recommend the book "Good Bug, Bad Bug". It is a very handy reference for identifying garden insects... both Pests and Beneficials. Plus, organic and cultural controls are suggested for each Pest.

You can find that book many places (it's less than $12.00 at Amazon) ... I think it's well worth the price.

It's hard to deal with an insect pest effectively, until you know exactly what it is.

SeaOfGreen

[/quote]

I can recommend the book "Good Bug, Bad Bug". It is a very handy reference for identifying garden insects... both Pests and Beneficials. Plus, organic and cultural controls are suggested for each Pest.

You can find that book many places (it's less than $12.00 at Amazon) ... I think it's well worth the price.

It's hard to deal with an insect pest effectively, until you know exactly what it is.[/quote]
Thanks got it ordered from Amazon. Too be quite honest I'm thinking about going back to chemical insecticides,the bugs are just destryoing my plants lately especially ants and little yellow flea type bugs. At least the Sevin-5 kept my plants damage free. I found out that they toned down the amount of toxin in the Sevin dust which is why it is called Sevin-5. I mean it is not like anyone had ever died from the stuff have they?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

SeaofGreen,

Take a look at this information from Penn State.

https://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pesticides/pesticides/misc/sevin-carbaryl-old.htm

SeaOfGreen

DoubleDogFarm wrote:SeaofGreen,

https://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pesticides/pesticides/misc/sevin-carbaryl-old.htm
On second thought maybe I'll stick with the organic stuff.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

SeaOfGreen wrote:
DoubleDogFarm wrote:SeaofGreen,

On second thought maybe I'll stick with the organic stuff.
Good choice. I was going to say something but didn't want to shove my opinion down your throat.

Nick D

jal_ut wrote:Whenever you have questions about any chemical that you may use in your home or garden you can get the MSDS. Just do a google search.
[url=https://www.afpmb.org/pubs/standardlists/msds/6840-00-932-7297_msds_sevin.pdf]MSDS for Sevin[/url]

There it is. Right there. The enemy's instruction manual.

I have been fighting the good fight for two months now because I refuse to put that stuff anywhere near my garden, and I've convinced everyone in my family but my parents, who still think I'm setting myself up to lose everything I'm growing by NOT dusting it all (I guess their thinking is it worked for them, so it will work for me).

There is a honeybee colony on the side of the house (about 25 feet up, and not endangering anyone in any possible way), and before I headed to work this morning I watched a few of them work their way around and through my stuff. They love the yellow crookneck squash flowers, and I counted at least 30 squashes total this morning...on 4 plants. I love it.

Now if I could just keep those *@*%&^$ flea beetles off my eggplants I'll be on a roll... 8)

twrh111
Newly Registered

my wife came across a homeopathic solution that I will be trying. it says, to mix some " dawn " dish soap with water and spray your plants down. if I start blowing bubbles when I eat my tomatoes I guess I will have learned something. :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just be sure it is dish soap. Dawn makes dish soap which is actually soap and dishwashing liquid, which is actually detergent. Detergent is harmful to your plants, soap isn't.

But yes we frequently recommend a soapy water spray as a treatment for aphids and other soft-bodied insects.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I am going to post this and duck: I have LOTS of problems with carpenter bees digging into my cedar trim, and the siding that looks like cedar to them. It has been recommended that I spray all the wood with Sevin, double strength. Thoughts? Recommendations? Warnings? (I have a mask ready to wear, and will wear full body clothing)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I did a search of the forum for "carpenter bees." Here's one of the threads that came up:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133084

Read down the thread (not the OP) for some non- and less-toxic ideas.

Sorry for the "drive-by" response.

Cynthia H.
(btw post-op Vergil and my work--11 billable hours yesterday--I'm smashed pretty flat right now)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Have you been READING the previous pages of this thread?

Did you read the articles that were linked on the first page?

Read them again! And then go get the citronella based paint/stain additive to keep the carpenter bees away.

applestar
Mod

lakngulf, ya better duck -- and low! :x I thought you lived in a picturesque cabin by the LAKE (hello, a body of water with aquatic life?) with an artistic wife for whom you've just created a presumably edible herb garden right by the house, and have a grandson who comes to visit and NOT eat the squash now that he knows what it tastes like (unless you hide it in the banana bread like I told you :wink:) :?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I will not ...... I will not...... I will not....... I will not....... I will not....... I will not.....I will not...... I will not...... I will not...... I will not...... I will not...... I will not.....

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I use to use sevin dust many years ago when I didn't know any better. Now I have 25 bird houses. I have no bug problems at all.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

lakngulf wrote:I will not ...... I will not...... I will not....... I will not....... I will not....... I will not.....I will not...... I will not...... I will not...... I will not...... I will not...... I will not.....
Good man! You can come out from behind that big tree now :lol:.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Well now you don't know how I finished the sentence.....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”