Bunny0306

Creating An "N" with flowers

So, as Iv'e said before, my father owns a small seasonal flower shop in the center of our town. Some one from our town wants me to help them create An "N" out of flowers to stand for the name of our town.
So when people drive into town, the first thing they'll see is a big N.

Now, he asked me last year to help him and it was later on in the season so we did Chrysanthemums and then ornamental cabbage (which stayed very nice) so now is the time to plant for our zone 5 and I am still undecided. The area is 13' by 13' and let's say its around 30 feet from the road.
we were going to do the colors of the town but decided one color would stick out more ...I suggested yellow, because what's brighter than yellow?
I was at first thinking of marigolds and doing 3 wide. Marigolds because of yellow and the ones with the HUGE heads. ( I forget the exact name at the moment) But I believe they grow 24-30 or so inches. Too tall maybe..How tall should the flower be? Maybe dwarf Marigolds but they'll have tiny heads...It just has to stand out!
Another thing... the spacing on the tag is only a recommendation to prevent disease + give them room to grow.. right? I mean..I am not going to "smoosh" them TOO close..but they have to be at least 2-3 inches close for it to look symmetrical. Oh yea I am using plants that are started in 806 flats. The area gets full sun and we tilled the plot 2 weeks ago and will add better soil. I will be maintaining the flowers so high-low maintenence isn't an issue. We are going to get moisture control soil and we will be laying black mulch down.

Any suggestions?

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I am here to help in any way I can. Loading paintshop now for visual aid.

Anyway you said yellow marigolds and thats a really cheap plant. I was thinking of plants that are cheap so yuor business can have an effective marketing tool that doesnt run up a big bill. I would add pink in somehow. With the low cost of marigolds and bright colors should be able to afford some variety in color maybe simply a pink border or circular design?

Give me a min to post some images. and so we can talk more indepth.

I planted marigolds together really close together always and ignore spacing. I even crow thed with catnip and they still flourish but marigold may need to be clipped to actually slow their bloom depending on which variety you are using. I am using the cheapest ones myself. What a great Idea!!
I was thinking of doing a massive American flag visable to pilots. One day !!

N n N o O 0

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/desktoppaint.jpg[/img]

had to use my imagination. here is what I imagined it might look like with no borders and maybe some mulch in the circle. I could brainstorm and design gardens if I have all the relavent information like would you even use mulch? I would not use mulch if the background ( :) ) was ok being dirt colored!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

My only suggestion would be to use two complete oppostie colors. One for the 'N' and different color for the rest of the space. It could really be any colors, as long as they're easily distinguisable, like yellow and blue, or yellow and red, etc. Just don't use Yellow and Pink as the image being portraid will tend to "blend together visually. A light color and a dark color would be best.

Bunny0306

I would absolutely love to do a border with red ...maybe a red wave petunia (just off the top of my head) and clip it back every now and then so it stays in the border.
Yet, this man is paying for ALL of this out of his own pocket. And while he is not extremely wealthy, I wanted to save him some cash. (We are giving him an incredible discount also). But, he still has to pay for the mulch, better soil-(this might not be a necessity, but it helps).
I was thinking...maybe I should go with a more "drought tolerant plant"
Then again if it looks good...I wont might stopping by to water. And that's what moisture control soil is for !

Bunny0306

Oh yea, we already dig it out into a square shape (not that it matters too much)...but I do like the circle idea a lot.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”