Schldhd

Braggert Tomatoes

A few years back I was working in the San Francisco area and found some tomato plants called Braggert, I planted six of them and was able to supply everyone at work, and in the neighborhood with tomatoes all summer. I even brought some back to Houston when I went home on a visit, just to show off the size of these monsters.

I have never been able locate this tomato plant again, I would love to see if I could grow them again here in Texas or was it the Nothern CA weather that produced such great tomatoes.

Anyone have any knowledge of the Braggert tomato plant?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope... Not only I never heard of them, which wouldn't be too surprising, I don't grow exotic varieties and there's hundreds of them, but neither has google which does tell you something.

Schldhd

Thanks for your input.

If I had bought the plants from a private individual I would think it was something he/she had come up with. But, as I recall I purchased them from a "big box" place.

Oh well, guess I will just have to grow another type, maybe beefsteak.

Thanks again. Oh, I too checked with Google to no avail.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just in case, I checked a couple of lists of tomato varieties, like this one:

https://www.heirloomtomatoes.bizland.com/varieties.htm

NO LUCK! No one has ever heard of it... perhaps you are remembering the name wrong?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I have a feeling that the plants you bought were renamed or, less likely, a private-unreleased variety = true heirloom).

They are not in Tatianas Tomatobase, so they are not readily for sale or trade in the North America, and the Tomodori and Ventmarin database list Brag, Braggar and Bragger, with little info for them.

https://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tomates/tomates_bj_a_br/tomates_bj_a_br.htm

If they were as good as you say, and widely released at one point people someone woud have seed.

Schldhd

Thank you for your research, I appreciate it.

The name I have is correct, as I wrote it down. I had the name tag for sometime but in moving I lost it. I am more inclined to believe that it was, as you suggested, renamed, or a "real" heirloom.

Again, thank you.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

There is a hybrid tomato by the name of Big Braggart. It was developed by a horticulturist named Miles C. Labrum of the University of Utah. I don't know where you'd go to find seeds, except maybe contact the University where he worked.

ETA: I thought it would be appropriate to post the link where I found the information:

[url=https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=336&dat=19890301&id=ogMPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HYQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7152,289351]"Utah Hybridizers" article in the Deseret News, Mar. 1, 1989[/url]

Schldhd

Kisal, thank you so much for the info, you went above and beyond and I appreciate it very much.

I will follow your suggestion and see if I can get more info from the UofUtah......

It should have been named BIG Braggert as it was a huge tomato and very tasteful

Again, Thanks

Schldhd

Kisal, just for your information: I contacted the University of Utah regarding the Big Braggert tomato and not surprising, they could not or would not, tell me anything about the tomato OR the horticulturist Miles C. Labrum.

I originally sent an e-mail and did not receive a response so telephoned the Ag admin and was I must say treated with less then respect. When I quoted the newspaper article from the'80's the person said "she wasn't around at that time." When I requested the name or phone number of someone who could help me, she said no, and hung up. So much for dealing with UofUtah....guess I will have to give up on my "quest" for the Big Braggert Tomato......LOL

Thanks again for your input.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”