oakieskipper
Newly Registered

watermelon plants

Hi, I am growing watermelon plants in my garden for the first this year. Does anyone know about how many melons grow per plant or vine.
thanks bunches :?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

In my garden, from zero to one. I think there are too many varibles to even predict it.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

I generally let each vine only produce 2-3 melons, then remove any future blooms that form. This helps the plant focus on bringing the melons to maturity - which makes for larger fruit. I'm not sure where you're located, but they need lots of heat to grow well...

EG

supagirl277

Oh darn. I guess then planting mine in the only spot I had left, which was in partial shade, wasn't such a good idea... I have canteloupe seeds, that I don't have much faith in, along with some other vine gourds. They just don't seem to want to grow that well in my garden usually. It's only my second year trying them, and the circumstances were much harder last year, so maybe I should just pray and have faith :)

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I can only grow softball size watermelons...man are they sweet though. Whats the secret?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't grow melons (either cantaloupe or watermelons) because they need lots of full sun space and I don't have that. Trying to grow plants where the conditions aren't right for them generally results in frustration.

kskwash
Newly Registered

There are some bush varieties that you can try. They do not need as much space, but all watermelons needs lots of sunshine

garden5
Super Green Thumb

kskwash wrote:There are some bush varieties that you can try. They do not need as much space, but all watermelons needs lots of sunshine
Really? Bush cantaloupe or watermelon? I'll have to look into that.

Anyway, I've never been able to get more than one small one to a vine, but that's just me. I don't think my climate has a long enough growing season for watermelons.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I only had 4-5 watermelon on my plant last year. They never ripened all the way. Or I should say I picked them too early. :(

I did have a bunch of cantaloupe though.

kskwash
Newly Registered

Try the Bush Sugar Baby. The vines only grow about 3 1/2 feet long, and they grow 1 to 2 watermelons on each vine. These watermelon will weigh up to 12 pounds and are very sweet with few seeds. They still need heat like all watermelons do, and take about 100 days to grow from seed to picking.

applestar
Mod

So far, out of all the melons, Honeydew has been the easiest to grow for me. I'm trying watermelon again with 2 heirlooms 'Moon and Stars' and 'Blacktailed Mountain' in two different locations separated by the house this year. I have a prime spot picked out for Honeydew 'Honey Pearl' -- same as last year. I might also try to find better a spot for Charentais 'Edonis' which did miserably last year in the location planted.

I think with most melons produce optimally when limited to 2 per vine, as do pumpkins.

Which of the other curcurbits (cukes, zukes, pumpkins, winter squash like Delicata, gourds) can cross with watermelons and melons?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

kskwash wrote:Try the Bush Sugar Baby. The vines only grow about 3 1/2 feet long, and they grow 1 to 2 watermelons on each vine. These watermelon will weigh up to 12 pounds and are very sweet with few seeds. They still need heat like all watermelons do, and take about 100 days to grow from seed to picking.
Thanks, I'm going to definitely look into that type for next year. I think that I may be able to get away with a better crop if I can find some early maturing variety, if there are any. I love finding new varieties and new plants all together.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

applestar - if you're not intending to save seeds from them, cross-pollination isn't an issue..

EG

applestar
Mod

I know the fruits won't be affected, but I mostly plant OP or HL and DO want to save seeds from the heirloom watermelons, cukes, squash, pumpkin, and gourd seeds. The Honeydew and Charentais are F1 so I'm going to have to remember NOT to save those. :lol:

This spring, I had allowed a Brussels Sprouts to go to flower, then remembered that it was an F1 and not use saving seeds. :roll:

rootsy
Green Thumb

Crimson Sweet type (variety was Compadre) last year averaged about 6 melons a plant. Most were in the 20 - 25 lb range with a few small ones that didn't make it as they were set late and frost got em...

Greenhouse starts are at the 2nd true leaf stage now and once I get some rocks picked up and beds re-hilled and plastic down we'll be sticking them in the ground...

For cantaloupe.. A good Northern and Eastern variety to try is Orange Sherbert... Football shaped, very high in brix, holds very well as it is a shipping melon... Works well for roadside and market where you don't harvest every day...

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Thank you guys, I am raising first watermelon this year- crimson sweet one. I guess I will allow 3 or 4 fruits and others just snip off.

love11

IF you want something that maby tastes like watermelon and grows really fast 50 days to harvest from seed try watermelon radishes lol

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Joyfirst I'm growing the crimson sweet too. 80 day maturity and supposed to do well up here in zone 4.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”