debra48
Newly Registered

carmona bonsai tree

Please help. I just got this bonsai tree for mothers day, I have always wanted one, but the leaves are falling off, and I am not sure why,please help. :? :?

vmabuck

I think people will need to see pictures or know the type of tree and the conditions you have it living in, how much you have been watering it etc... to be of any help.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

debra48,

Yes, please provide photos if you can. Also, you have not really given us much to go on. Please read this.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21636

Norm

debra48
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice. I have no way at this point to get a picture. But I just recieved it on mothers day, and the directions I got were to keep slightly moist, indirect light orbright shade outdoors. and the name is carmona macrophylla. It has little leaves and it is supposed to bud little flowers. I live in Michigan. It has little green leaves, whic are starting to fall, help!! :(

manIK

Are the leaves yellowing and falling? Does it have a layer of glued-rocks? Have you been keeping it indoors or outdoors? What has the temperature been like lately in Michigan?

derkap10
Cool Member

Hi Debbie,

To expand on some of manIKs questions...... if it has the layer of glued on rocks they should be removed asap. They're evil :evil: . Check to see if the pot has drainage holes. Drainage is very important. Then check your soil. A dense water-retaining 'potting-type' soil is not desirable. As you are in Michigan I would think it may be best to keep indoors in a well lit window. Ihave not tried a Fukien Tea (Carmona Macrophylla) myself but recently, and very briefly, considered getting one. After a bit of research the word that I kept seeing as regards to the Fukien Tea was...... challenging. They seem to be rather picky and ornery trees. From my understanding they're not at all a big fan of major temprature variations. They like they're soil to be moist but not soggy. The problems you're having now may, or may not, be due to nothing worse than the fact that the tree has been moved. Before Mothers Day it was in one place and now it's somewhere else. Almost bound to be some change in conditions. Most trees take a little bit of an adjustment period. That's pretty normal. Maybe keep in inside next to a window, rather than on the windowsill, for a few days and then start gradually moving it into more direct sunlight. Hopefully this will help it to 'set in' and more easily adjust to it's change in surroundings. Good luck and let us know how it's going. If you can get a pic that will also be helpful. Hope this helps,

Allen

P.S. On a sidenote, after researching the Fukien Tea I went with a Crepe Myrtle instead :lol: .

manIK

Ah yes, the Fukien tea. I didn't realize what a Carmona Macrophylla was.

Yes they can be ornery. I took one from a friend that was having some troubles. When I moved it into my place, it pitched a fit for about two weeks, dropping leaves and generally being a pain in the bum-parts. It has since stabilized but I fear it just won't last much longer.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hi Debbie, It would be good for you to scroll back on this forum - and the other one on "indoor bonsai" and read the many threads & posts about fukien tea. Yes, it is a difficult tree to grow, especially when you live in a colder climate. In the south, or if you have a nice warm greenhouse, it is not such a challenge.
That said - what now? The advice above is good. Don't panic. It will loose leaves. They do that when adjusting to their new home environment. It's a stress thing.
Will it grow out new leaves? Only time will tell.
Yes, remove "glued-on" rocks, pebbles, & moss if it has these things. Be sure is has proper drainage. Give it bright light and moderate watering. If it recovers begin fertilizing lightly with a diluted liquid plant food.
Let's hope that by next Mothers Day you will have a full healthy Carmona.
But if you lose this plant please give bonsai another try. Do some more reading and research. Then find a tree type that is less "fussy". There are loads of choices.
Tom

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”