earth

Have I planted too many petunia in this container?

Hi,
I have planted 6 petunia plants in a rectangular plastic box with dimensions: Length=11 inches,width=7inches & depth=5 inches. The plants are still babies but they have filled the container. Will it we o.k if I give it lots of water and fertilize it well when they grow bigger. Are 6 petunias too many in this container. Below is the picture of how it looks..... I have 2 such containers with 6 petunias in each :(

[img]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xZzcZqjm-Oc/S-minFJUcuI/AAAAAAAAAbY/a98WyGgS2Ng/s1600/DSCN7024+new.JPG[/img]

thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would have put just one plant in a container that size ... definitely no more than 2.

The roots have to have enough room in the container. If they're crammed in too tightly, they won't be able to absorb sufficient moisture and nutrients to support the top growth, no matter how much water and fertilizer you pour on. Sorry, but that's my opinion. :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, I like to crowd containers, so I would have probably put three. But it will definitely be hard to keep 6 plants alive in a container that size....

Get a couple more containers and spread everything out! :)

earth

thanks kisal & rainbowgardener..... I made a mistake :( I will take out a 2-3 plants from each container, I planted them 2-3 weeks back so hoping roots have not got entangled..... are the petunia roots sensitive to any disturbance? Have never earlier taken out any plant after planting it.... any tips how I can pull them out without harming my plants?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Water so that the soil is moist, then put a big spoon or something under them and lift up from underneath. Should be fine, they transplant readily.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Petunias are pretty tough, in my experience. I remember one year when one of my dogs developed an obsession about digging up a brick planter in which I had planted petunias. Two or three times a day, those poor plants got dug up, thrown on the patio and buried under piles of dirt. I would go out, shovel the dirt back into the planter, rescuing the poor petunias as I found them, only to have the whole cycle repeat itself. I must have replanted them two dozen times.

Finally, I laid some tomato cages on their sides in the planter, hoping to keep the dog out. It worked, and the petunias were lovely that summer. Not a single plant was lost. :lol:

Susan W
Greener Thumb

FWIW, when I potted up hanging baskets etc for a boss at the garden center, we crammed those babies in! The 6 cell pack was jammed in, each plant touching the next. Of course this type of hanging basket or container needs a boost with osmocote, miracle grow potting soil (what we used), or something! A regular basket plastic pot may have 12 plants.

earth

Cool! I was planning to buy few more petunias...now there is no need :)

@Susan: I am using Miracle grow potting mix which has fertilizer added and needs no fertilizer for 3 months.... I have also bought osmocote last weekend. Should I still add osmocote to the soil when miracle grow potting soil already contains fertilizer? I am confused please help! Or should I add osmocote later after 3 months?

thanks... will post pics of my happy petunias after I separate them.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I would wait on adding more fertilizer. Just keep in mind the crowded pot you have is like the big beautiful hanging baskets sold. Petunias etc on steroids! We push them to the max for a few months them kiss them good by. I am as guilty as the next person to have a full pretty basket or deck pot.

earth

Susan W wrote:I would wait on adding more fertilizer. Just keep in mind the crowded pot you have is like the big beautiful hanging baskets sold. Petunias etc on steroids! We push them to the max for a few months them kiss them good by. I am as guilty as the next person to have a full pretty basket or deck pot.
thanks susan, I have not separated all the petunias...testing which ones do better.... infact have planted one hanging basket with all the petunias that germinated from seed indoors (around 10 I guess!! ) :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Can you over winter petunias in a large pot, if you bring it in the basement or somewhere not too warm? Really curious.?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, they will live over winter. They tend to be daylength sensitive, some varieties more so than others. Even in the tropics, where they originated, petunias "rest" during the winter. You would probably want to cut them back when you bring them indoors.

If you can provide supplemental light and plenty of warmth, your petunias may flower indoors for you all winter, though.

My understanding is that petunias are somewhat short-lived perennials, even in the tropics. After awhile, they become woody and no longer bloom.

It's certainly worth a try, though. Just remember that petunias are marketed as inexpensive, easy to grow, attractive plants. The longevity of the plants has not likely been a goal of the developers of the varieties that are commonly available. :)

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

O:)
()()
(='.')
(,,(')(')

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”