GardenWitch
Newly Registered

Big thunderstorm Little seeds

This is my first outdoor herb garden and there is a thunderstorm on the way! The seeds are freshly sown will they be ok?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Touch and go... that happened to my lettuce seeds this spring and they mostly all seemed to be ok. But sometimes seeds that haven't had a chance to grow roots at all, can get washed away that way. Can you throw some row cover or a tarp or piece of plastic or something over, to protect them from washing out?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's the exact reason that I always started everything I could in pots, then transplanted the starts to the ground. We have rain for about 8 or 9 months out of the year. Usually, it's fairly gentle rain, but in the spring, we have some real gully-washers, along with major thunder-boomers!

Between the slugs, snails, hungry animals, and the rain, it's a miracle if anything grows from a little seed. Only larger seeds, like nasturtiums and sweet peas, are likely to survive, and if we have a cold, wet spring, they'll just rot in the ground. :roll:

GardenWitch
Newly Registered

ill try the tarp... indeed it is one battle after another just got the bunnies to stop eating my vegetable garden, now the storm and when I look out the window the bunnies moved on to my berry bushes !

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We had a big rain last week my flower seeds were just starting to come up. I placed a large sheet of glass over the seeds to protect them from rain. I put a block on each corner for legs to hold the glass up several inches off the ground. Air could blow through, rain was blocked from making a direct hit on the plants, sun light could still get threw.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

GardenWitch wrote:ill try the tarp... indeed it is one battle after another just got the bunnies to stop eating my vegetable garden, now the storm and when I look out the window the bunnies moved on to my berry bushes !
Yup!! It's why I could never be a farmer. I LOVE to garden, I would love to have a bigger garden than I have, but it would make me crazy to have my livelihood depend on it. I would always be worrying... It's always something, the bunnies or the raccoons or the ground hog or too cool and wet last year or too hot and dry the two years before that! Amazing that we ever have anything to eat! :)

applestar
Mod

It helps somewhat to mix tiny seeds with sand when sowing them, covering with a thin layer of white sand (transmits light), then covering the area with a very light mulch of grass clippings (you should still be able to see the ground).

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”