BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Anyone from South Dakota or Zone 4b?

Just curious if there was anyone out there from South Dakota (4b). I was curious if anyone has any of there peppers or tomatoes out yet? Just wondering what others are growing right now in my area. Some how I have a sneaking suspicion that nobody will post to this... :(

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Where are you in South Dakota? It is definitely too early to put peppers or basil into the ground. Some of the more cold tolerant tomatoes, e.g. Stupice, would probably be fine. You could also use wall-o-waters or their variants to create a warmer microclimate and/or plastic mulch like IRT100 to accelerate soil warming.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I'm near the Sioux Falls area,
Yeah, there is no way I can put tomatoes out their yet; since temps insist on being low to upper 40's until friday when temps reach 60's and then finally upper 70's. Gotta love the 30 degree difference in two days.

I have some peppers out there under WOWs they are doing good considering how cold it has been this past week, we had days in April way warmer then this. Anyway there are a few pepper plants that have curled their leaves inward, which I believe they do when they are cold. The WOW's are all rubber banded up (to keep them somewhat warm) -- hard to warm the soil when the days are all rainy though and cold. Hope they will be alright.

The cold weather stuff like the napa, curly kale, cavolo nero, broccoli, cauliflower etc...are doing fine out there, they like the cold (they'd also like some light however). Can't wait for the weather to turn around here, after all this is May...haha. Thanks for the post, what do you have in the ground right now?

malkore
Cool Member

I'm down in 5a territory here in Lincoln. We are just clear of hard frosts this weekend (on average).

I put my stuff in the ground the last two weekends due to my availability and lucked out on the overnight temps.

scot29
Cool Member

I'm on the line b/t zones 4 & 5, so pretty similar to where you are. Like I said in another post, we usually get cold weather all through May w/ a few frosts here & there. I'll likely be planting my peppers, toms, beans, squash, cukes & corn (1st time :P ) the first week of June. That's when all those plants, except the toms, went in last year, and they had plenty of time to develop. My toms went in on May 20th, but they weren't happy about it :D They didn't take off until June.
So far, I have lettuce, radish, spinach, peas, brocolli, brussels sprouts, beets, swiss chard, carrots, & potatoes in the ground.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Yeah, I planted most everything this week. Toms and Peppers are protected in walls o' water. It sounds like we are done with the lower temps as well. Keep us updated on how things are going guys...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”