Pepper46
Newly Registered

New sod, need help!

We just had new sod put in the front and back yards. We have sprinklers on timers.

1. How often and how long should I water?

2. How long before we mow for the first time?

3. We were out of town Sat. morning until Sun. afternoon. We watered before we left and when we got home, but there is still an area in the back that has a blue/gray look like it is dying. Help!

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>1. How often and how long should I water?
>>2. How long before we mow for the first time?

uhmmm there's not a lot of mathematics to guide you here. these aren't exactly topics you can set a timer on the iPod.

watering: when it gets dry - water deep - 1.0 - 1.5 inches. they make rain gauges for this purpose.

when to mow: when the grass gets high enough.
you should mow not less than 3" height for the usual turf grasses. 3.5 inches is more better,

best advice: toss the clock, watch the grass.

Pepper46
Newly Registered

I was afraid that mowing too early would suck up the unrooted sod into the mower and destroy it.

I have no idea how much water is put out on a pop up sprinkler. I am thinking that new sod requires more frequent watering, but less time per cycle than established lawn. Is this a correct assumption? Doesn't new sod require different care than an established lawn?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Dillberts advice is sound...

Your assumptions about new sod are not incorrect, but there are more factors to consider than just water. New sod should be rolled or tamped well at installation; any air gap underneath can cause a drying situation that can kill sod no matter how much you water, so I would check that "blue" spot to ensure good contact. If you had someone installl this, call them back...

Throw out the timer and watch the grass is good advice; stretching those roots to look for water is not a bad idea. Eventually you want to get to a long soaking water (I prefer the early morning but in the dry, not-so-fungal prone southwest, evening waterings allow longer penetration before the sun hits it) that penetrates deep in the soil...

As for mowing, put it off for as long as you can take it. The longer the top, the more it is pushing the bottom. With the exception of a few varieties, gras wants to be three feet tall with roots to match. WHile you are worried about rooting, let it do it's thing...

HG

Return to “Lawn Care”