supagirl277

Starting Strawberries?

We used to have strawberries, but we ripped them out. Now I want to start them in a pot so they don't spread. What should I do?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I have quite a few strawberry plants growing in planters. I wouldn't plant more than about 1 or two plants per three gallons of potting soil. Be sure and fertilize the plants in the spring with a lighter application in the fall. My plants in containers seem to do better when they get morning only sun, as they dry out too much when getting afternoon/evening sun.

supagirl277

thanks a ton! how many seeds should I set in the soil to start them out? I'm not sure how many gallons my pot is, but its a large one.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've never started strawberry plants from seeds, but if I did, would start them in a community starter tray. After they germinate and develop true leaves, move them to small, perhaps three inch individual pots. Then when the plants get a little size, move them to their permanent location.

supagirl277

OK thanks. If I were to start from plants, would I need to go to a special place to buy them, or how commonly sold are they?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You can probably still order bare rooted plants on line from various vendors. Most charge between $8-$10 for 25 plants. Also some of the big box stores like Lowes or your local mom and pop nursery carry individually potted plants. Either method should work fine. I generally order bare rooted plants from Gurneys which is a pretty inexpensive on line vendor. I've had very good success with they strawberry plants.

https://gurneys.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1273449162

supagirl277

Thanks for the info! I'm excited to make some jams with them, so it's about time I started them. I think I'll go to this place called Cook's.

Return to “All Other Fruit”