Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

One of "Those" Days

Today, we were going to garage sales, and suddenly the transmission in the half ton started slipping. Okay, we headed for home, 2 miles away, we were out of transmission.

So, I called my son, and he went and got my 3/4 ton to push it home with. The 3/4 ton is my dirt hauler. Well, we decided to go get groceries, and have a cook out tomorrow while working on the 1/2 ton.

So, I went and hubby stayed home. I got 6 miles and the brakes went out on the 3/4 ton. Not out like no brakes, out like no pads, metal to metal. When I hit the brakes, the steering jerked and the metal grinded. I refused to drive it. So tomorrow is fix both trucks! I had to borrow a car to go for parts and groceries! Gee, I guess the garden clearing will take a back seat to getting wheels back up tomorrow. Not a fun day, I am going to be milking by flashlight!

Did you ever have "one of those days" and it just gets worse and worse?

Now, doesn't your day seem better? :lol:

applestar
Mod

Oh dear. So sorry to hear about the vehicle troubles. I'm glad, though, that the failures didn't result in an accident. Cook out sounds lovely. :D

We had howling winds yesterday. When I came home from a native plant sale, the storage tubs I had arranged around the potted seedlings to help "block" the wind had been blown away -- all over the garden. Miraculously, only one tomato plant was laying on its side (but not broken). I spent the rest of the afternoon until dark retrieving and securing things, watering and moving all potted plants to more sheltered locations (most of the pots had toppled over and the soil were dehydrated), and hustling the all the seedlings still in containers back inside. :roll:

This morning, the one rice paddy was almost completely dry even though I 1/2 filled it last night. Rice would be OK if all the water was gone, but the goldfish would've suffocated.

Flip side, I checked on the seedlings in the garage and found two cardboard boxes of plastic grocery bags filled with divisions of flowers I'd admired earlier in her garden that my MIL had dug up for me and sent home with DH. :()

p.s. I didn't quite get the ref. to "milking by flashlight" -- do you usually use the headlights?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I think I have had one of those years!

Any trip you can walk away from is a good one, or is that landing?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Normally I milk early enough to get it done before dark.
I aim for 8 am and 8 pm.
It was after 10 pm before we got done last night.

I am hand milking one dairy goat, she has too much milk for her kid. And if you don't keep them milked out, there can be health problems. At least, the other one hasn't kidded as of yet, so only one. Her baby was born May 4th. Normally they have twins, not many single kids, and even with twins, you have to back them up with hand milking. He is on the bottle, because he was at risk in the pen with mama, and the other goats weren't careful enough about him. He drinks his mama's milk and visits with her.

Between unloading dirt, and milking, I think I will turn into Popeye the Sailor man, remember his muscles?

I need recipes for non-food uses for goat milk. I wormed her on delivery day, and her milk won't clear until June 4th. That is alot of milk extra between now and then. At the moment I am freezing most excess, because two haven't had their babies yet, and there could always be issues. But with an extra 2 quarts daily, I can't keep doing that!

pepper4
Green Thumb

I had "One of those days" this past Thursday. It started off by being late for work which not only throws off your day but doesn't look to cool when you are the supervisor. It seemed like all the machines ran bad that day and enployees were brain dead. After running around all morning trying to straighten things out the lunch bell finally rang and it was pay day. Good thing so I thought. Went and cashed my check as usual ran home for a minute as usual and went back to work and left my purse on my desk as usual. All was good until I left work, stopped at the store, checked out and went to pay. All my money was gone. I was so embarrassed. I went straight back to work and searched around with hopes I'd find it but had no luck. The next day I talked to the general manager and he said the 2 people we just hired 2 days prior were through a work program where they had to be employed to stay out of jail. 1 was in jail prior for numerous counts of bad checks and theft. Unfortunately we can not prove this person did it but Friday when she came in she seemed to have alittle chunk of change and was broke the day before. Still can't prove anything though. She still has a job and I am out bill, gas, and food money for the week and on top of that I have to work with this person as though nothing happened.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Oh I am sorry Bambi.

You are tough, you can get through this!

They will be the one to watch about employee theft, goofing off and not getting the job done, absences, etc. Those kind don't last long in the real world.
And each time they get away with something, they are emboldened, and will do more, they will get caught.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

You could tell her it is funny how she has money and you lost some and say no more. Keep an eye on every thing and do not trust them. Too bad it has to be this way right?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Good news!
The 1/2 ton is now home, and it will sqawl tires if you aren't careful, so definitely the transmission is doing its job!

Now they are tackling the brakes!

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”