nes
Green Thumb

Vegetarian Herbs

I'm making up a pot of herbs/maybe some veggies for my little sister as she's moved into a new apartment with a big window.

The problem is I mostly cook meat dishes and she's not much of a cook at all (although I'm giving her some lessons soon :)).

So what sort of herbs that I can grow do vegetarians use lots of?
Ones that would do well indoors.

I'm not sure what sort of sun that windows gets so let's assume 1/2 day. We can always set up a lamp for the herbs if that is necessary.

applestar
Mod

Not a vegetarian, but I think basil is definitely easy to grow and useful -- pesto, any tomato dish, and the Mammoth leaf that can be used like lettuce wrap. Be sure to tell her about/or start for her some onion bottoms for green onions, and different kinds of mints -- for raita (diced cuke and chopped mint in plain yogurt) and herbal teas -- don't forget lemon balm and anise hyssop. Japanese parsley is easy to grow, but I cannot grow regular parsley indoors during the warm months -- aphids and red spider mites suck all the green out of them. :evil:

nes
Green Thumb

Thanks guys! I was thinking along the line of some chives, mint, basil.

I have thyme in my own garden with sage & rosemary - but can you use those in vegetable dishes? They are primarily meat herbs.

I'd really love it if she could grow chamomile because she loves to drink it in tea but I think I'm going to have to grow that for her, I doubt it would do well indoors.

More then just recipes - first I need to teach her how to cook properly!! :D Vegetarian who can't even cook veggies for herself...
(Can I mention she's 18? and just moved away from home last year? :D).

I'm going to get her going with some pea-shoots and maybe lettuce too - I haven't seen how big her window is yet. I'm really hoping she has access to the roof & can grow something up there & just doesn't know it yet :).

sweet thunder

I'm a vegetarian who grows a variety of herbs. Here's what I grow and how I use it:

Rosemary - pizza, breads, Italian dishes, roasted potatoes
Bay leaf - soups, stews
Thyme - soups, stews, quiche, gratins
Parsley - anything!
Oregano - Italian dishes, soups
Sage - stuffing, winter squash
Cilantro - Mexican and Asian dishes

I don't grow my own basil, but I use it a lot in the summer.
Growing my own herbs has improved my cooking enormously!

If you're feeling generous, pick up a copy of Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison for your sister. It has good basic information as well as more complicated recipes. I've been very happy with it.

MiniAcre

Chives are great with anything...thyme is great with pan cooked cherry tomatoes and squash.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”