jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

5th of May 2010

Tis the 5th of May, and this is the day I have scheduled for planting corn. The sun is even shining. Woo hoo!

jkkfam89

are you planting seeds? Being in Michigan, is it good to plant those seeds now?

donworden
Cool Member

My cousins husband who lives just a couple of miles from me here in Kalamazoo has already got his corn out and ankle deep... He says he hasn't had any probs planting this early before.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

May 5th works well for me in this climate. If you know the date of your average last frost, you can plant 10 days ahead of that date and likely do well. Do a Google search for Frost Dates and add your location. This data is available on the web.

You don't need to wait until all danger of frost is past for corn.

rootsy
Green Thumb

jkkfam89 wrote:are you planting seeds? Being in Michigan, is it good to plant those seeds now?
I put sweet corn in from seed 3 weeks ago...

When you see farmers in the field planting field corn you are safe with Su and Se varieties... Sh2 need warmer soil and more moisture to consistently germinate. This year I had soil temps @ 3" down in the mid 60's my Mid April which is almost unheard of... Stuff I put in 3 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago is up already...

last year I put my first corn in May 1 and it took 3 weeks to spike... Going to be an early year this year...

jkkfam89

Thanks a lot, I just went and pick up some plants and will have them in soon.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck my man!

I wish I had room for corn nothing like fresh sweet corn straight off the plant. It's not Monsanto corn is it? :lol:

rootsy
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Good luck my man!

I wish I had room for corn nothing like fresh sweet corn straight off the plant. It's not Monsanto corn is it? :lol:
The only GMO Sweet Corn is "Attribute" sweet corn which is BT resistant. It isn't a Monsanto product... You aren't going to buy it in anything less than 25K quantities...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm sure he didn't or wouldn't use GM corn. I was kidding.

Monsanto=Very Bad

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I had no idea that you could plant corn pre-last frost date. I always wait a couple weeks to a month post last frost. No wonder I have to water corn! Dumb, dumb, dumb, I should have researched it, but today was my plan to clear an area for corn, I have seedling trays setting where my corn is to go! So, clearing is, pick up the trays! Not so difficult. But, it was a reminder not to use that area for anything else. ha ha

rootsy
Green Thumb

Growing point of corn until V6 is underground. once it is past the 6 leaf stage you want to be more or less frost free...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”