Pebbles

Pod Peas

Hi guys and gals

Bought myself a poly tunnel back in February. It's like a greenhouse. I started lots of veg by seed and all so far are looking good.

For instance, my Broad beans have lots of lovely white and brown flowers and are about 3ft tall. My runner and French beans also have lilac and red flowers and our about 6ft tall. However, my peas are now about 3ft tall and looking very green and healthy but I don't see any flowers yet - is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Pebbles

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It depends on the variety. I think your peas are fine and will soon bloom, but if you know the variety name, look it up and see what the maturation time is. Keep in mind that even this advertised time will vary from place to place depending on the local climate.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I agree with Jal. The weather may be delaying the plants.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Pebbles,

Are we talking High or Low tunnel :?: Are the beans and peas currently growing inside your tunnel :?: Maturity can easily be two weeks earlier then stated on the packets.

Pebbles

Oh thanks ever one for all of your input! My poly tunnel is 7ft high and 7ft wide and 10 ft long - I know - you guys over the pond have so much more space... However, I also have a 6ft greenhouse and two 3ft square poly tunnels and.... we are thinking about getting another 10ft long polytunnel.. The thing is, over here in England, we don't get as much land as you guys, not only that, we don't get the high temps like you do either - so - we have to really look after things here.

Don't get me wrong, I know you all have to water thoroughly and look after everything - our main harmfulness, if that is the right expression, is that we don't get enough sun here in England (Pray that my crops continue to do so well)!

Thanks and good luck with all you have nurtured...

Pebs x

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Pebbles,

Our climates are alot alike. I live in Washington zone 8. We get about 25 inches of rain and highs in the mid 80's F. So our July, August, September, maybe a bit warmer then you. Where in Lancashire UK are you :?:

We also use High and low tunnels and greenhouses, to extend the season.

Pebbles

Eric

I live in Mossley in Lancashire. Very near to Saddleworth - Oldham - if you know the area. We are on the Peninnes and have a lovely view from our lounge window of the hills and the valley in front. We often sit on our front garden bench looking over the valley. My hubby calls it his Rainbow Valley - just like the song if you have heard that one.

I didn't realise your temps were similar to ours. Mind you 80 over here is hot enough for us Brits - but probably feeling quite cool to some states out there. Better than Seattle though Eric? I believe it is always raining there - according to the programme - can't remember the name but starred Kelsey Grammer as a radio psychologist.

The peas are growing inside the tunnel - everything else is doing very well - just can't understand why no flowers yet.

Jal sorry - I will check the packet and find out what variety they are and see if it gives any further info on maturity.

Thanks everybody

Pebbles

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, you said that your beans are doing well, but that your peas are lagging. Here's the thing, beans prefer warmer temperatures whereas peas like it on the cooler side. How warm is it in your tunnel? If it's too warm, it may cause your peas to delay a bit.

Pebbles

Jal - the peas are called 'little marvel' - from seed planting, they should be ready for harvesting 12 to 16 weeks later. I started them from seed on 10th March so it has only been 8 weeks. Maybe they will be ok and I am just over concerning myself.

Garden 5, you and Jal are quite right. I have just looked on the internet and it says they prefer cooler conditions - ideal round about 60 degrees. Well, inside my poly tunnel I must admit it is normally round about 80. I think I will take them outside and hope that the flowers form shortly. I will also start some more from seed and gradually (very soon) place them outside and hope they flower sooner than those kept in the tunnel.

Thanks again everybody - I can always count on the professionals to give me guidance :wink:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I didn't realise your temps were similar to ours. Mind you 80 over here is hot enough for us Brits - but probably feeling quite cool to some states out there. Better than Seattle though Eric? I believe it is always raining there - according to the programme - can't remember the name but starred Kelsey Grammer as a radio psychologist.
I like it when the temps are around 75F anything above this its getting warm :D The San Juan Islands are in a rain shadow, so no warmer, just drier then Seattle. 25" average. I think it's funny when people say it rains in Seattle all the time. 35" average. It's more of a drizzle then rain. :wink: The East Coast gets much more rain then Washington.

Kramer vs. Kramer :roll:

Looks like your 5 day forecast is mid 50F and lows to mid 30F
https://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/9

I would say not to hot in the tunnels

Is the soil or fertilizer different in the tunnels :?:

Pebbles

Hello Eric

It is indeed hot in the tunnels. When the sun shines on them the temps get really high - average 80 and I have been in them when they are 95 - although you potter around inside with your shorts and a very thin top - when you need to come out - you have to put a jumper and scarf on ha!

By the way - everything I have planted is in pots - not directly into the ground. I have made sure the pots are big enough and they are all filled with organic compost which has food introduced which will last for the first 8 weeks.

Also, slugs and snails - I remember last year (my first year at trying growing vegetables and fruit) - there were numerous conversations about slugs and snails and how to get rid of them.

Copper tape - trust me! I put this around all of my pots and I must have about 150 pots last week. I even found a snail and placed it near a pot with the copper tape and it started to walk up the pot - hit the tape and backed off rather rapidly. There you go - if you haven't tried it - get some!

Pebsx

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Here are my slug and snail control.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02071.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02073.jpg[/img]

I would open the tunnels on the warm days, close them up at night. Your forecast shows overcast the rest of the week.

Pebbles

Yes you are right Eric - that is England's weather for you! Thanks, by the way, for taking the time to check that out...
You are lucky to have a slug and snail control in such a lovely way....

Did ask if I could have a couple of little duckies - won't tell you what the reply was - can't find the words in the dictionary :wink: :roll:

Pebs

Pebbles

Hi guys

Just to let you know that my peas now have beautiful white flowers on them. So hopefully they will produce lots of peas.

Pebs

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the update. I have grown that variety and they do well here.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”