BrPanthers99

Strawberry Help

I bought a strawberry plant about 3 weeks ago and I have had it indoors with the rest of my plants. This weekend 1 of the maybe 6 little plants in the pot went bad. I know I have to transplant it, but my question is, should I transplant them as it, or try to break them apart to give them more room than they have.

Currently there are about 6, maybe 5 inches high in a pot that is probably 8 inches.

applestar
Mod

Strawberries are extremely hardy and my outdoor strawberries have had new leaves growing since March. In fact, in my garden in the warmest spot, I have two strawberries ripening (one will probably be ready to eat tomorrow) and the rest have green berries of varying sizes.

They would do much better outside, though in the current crowded condition, the pot will need to be watered frequently. They should be slowly acclimated to outdoor conditions over course of 4~7 days, then planted in the ground 12" apart, in a large planter that would allow for equivalent spacing with depth of -- I would say -- minimum 8", or into individual containers.

BrPanthers99

Good information, I appreciate the help. I will space them out in a planter or in the ground.

Swivel

A slightly shallow and wide pot or garden bed would work great. The plants shoot off runners and cover area fairly qiuckly. More space will end up with more plants and berries. WATCH OUT FOR THE JUNE BUGS!

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Watch out for Snakes too! I currently have a snake that's enjoying hiding out in my Strawberry patch. I get a bit of a fright if I happen upon a snake suddenly ... but, otherwise, they don't bother me.
Once my heartrate slows, I let them go on their merry way.

There have been some Mice (or something) nibbling on a few of my Strawberries ... so I hope that snake has some good meals while he's there... beneficial !

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

-10 hours of sun or more.

-Strawberry soil needs to be very balanced allowing drainage and water retention.

-Hardy guys

-raised bed about 7 feet x 7 feet Height: 2 feet = nice design for a backyard.

there really aint much help we can give you because the strawberries are really simple to grow and I consider them to be good for kids to grow.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”