DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Double Dog Farm, The Five Cent Tour

Hey everyone,

I just uploaded a video of my place. Hope it works.

https://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/?action=view&current=MOV02110.flv

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Thank you, Eric, for sharing it. That is so cool! Your ducks are so sweet.What was that box in the greenhouse with a circle in the middle?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Joyfirst,

Thank you, I hope it didn't pause and do the buffering to much. I have DSL and it paused quite a few times on me.

The yellow and black box is a DIY Black Soldier Fly composter. I hope to harvest some grubs for my ducks. The population is rising, so it looks good so far.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Great vid you have a most awesome setup there. I'm jealous. Makes me want to retract my boring pictorial. :(

Love the water tub for hardening off great idea.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

No :!: gixxerific,

I just look at you wonderful pictures and onions :lol: Post some more as they progress.

GardenJester

Wow, now I know what I want to do when I retire. :D

Any chance it's for sale?

love the iron gate at the beginning. and the dogs.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

gardenjester,
Any chance it's for sale?
I don't know, is there a difference between fat chance and slim chance :wink: :lol:

Retire, (I'm just tired) Now that's a interesting concept. I'm 46 going on 26, probably can't retire until I'm 76

Thank you

GardenJester

LOL, that's what I figured. If I had something like that I wouldn't sell it for the world.

Still at least 2 decades from retiring, but it never hurt to plan ahead. It helps to have a picture in your head of what you want, and I got to say that's a nice picture. definately going to add a hobby farm/orchard to the retirement plan.

applestar
Mod

DD, loved your video... especially the background sound FX from the ducks!! :lol: The set up and lay out of your farm is terrific, and you got a real talent with that gate... though if I may offer one critique, you need two dogs in that design or a double gate... :wink:

I'm taking pages out of Permaculture too, and am trying to do the guild thing, but I've discovered one fallacy with that idea. You can't plant anything around the drip line of an apple tree. I tried planting the garlic and daffodils in a cirlcle as recommended, and trampled most of them trying to prune in late winter/early spring. :roll: I don't have comfrey growing yet, but Yellow Dock and Daffodils are wanting to be in on the action under the semi-dwarf Enterprise apple tree. So I've been cutting THEIR leaves and piling as mulch, as opposed to digging them out.

For my espaliered apple and pear trees, I've planted Allium cernuum, which is a native wild onion. (I'm seriously reluctant about the lack of consideration for at least trying to keep the perennial plants within the local native plant/plant community list in some Permaculture literature). I give a nod to native trees along that fence row with a Prok persimmon. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the tour. Nice place.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

though if I may offer one critique, you need two dogs in that design or a double gate...
Yeah, Yeah, and you're not the first to tell me :P
trampled most of them trying to prune in late winter/early spring. I don't have comfrey growing yet,
I keep trying to get different ground cover established, but my ducks do all the trampling and eating. I was kind of surprised to see the comfrey, while shooting the video. A friend keeps giving me Egyptian walking onions for the orchard. They must walk a longe ways off, I can never find them. :lol:

My .25 acre fenced area has been pretty much stripped of all it's natives, but the other 6.25 lives on.

Jal-ut,

Thank you, that will be a nickel :lol:

I was looking at your onions on another thread, WOW, I now have a goal to shoot for.

Zapatay

Thanks for sharing dbldog -
I'm pretty broke but I can offer some pretty awesome mexican food ;)

I loved the ladies going for a walk .... How adorable.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Love Mexican food, any recipes for Muscovy duck :?:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDog,

Thanks! I loved it. I love your place. It has a very informal, natural look to it, but you actually have it well organized and everything seems to have a proper place and specific purpose. Do you eat the duck eggs? If so, how does a duck egg taste compared to a free range chicken egg? Did I hear you say sea otters are predators of your ducks? Are you that close to the sea? If so, do you ever use seaweed in your compost for your beds?

Ted

applestar
Mod

Oh, I thought he said otters. I have to change the visual here -- do sea otters come out of the water like that? Take some pictures of them Double Dog! :wink:

I saw sea otters in Alaska, with babies on their bellies. Sooo cuuute!!! :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I was hoping no one would catch that, what I ment to say is River Otters, a big difference. The river otter go from pond to pond and clean out the fish. Eagles, Hawks, Raccoons, Weasles, fox, are a problem with ducks.

It's hard to think and video at the same time. If I was chewing bubble gum, look out :wink: :P

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ted,

About duck eggs, Love them :!: :D They are higher in vitamins and half again as big. The breeds I have, White Layer and Khaki Campbells out produce chickens also. World record is held by the Campbell, over 300 a year.

I live on a Island. San Juan Island, in the San Juan Islands WA. It's a rain shadow of the Olympic Mnts. Less rain than Seattle. about 25" https://www.komonews.com/weather/faq/4306627.html

We have sea weed on the beaches, bull kelp. Not sure what the laws are. Do I need a license to harvest. Seems like you need a license for everything these days. :(

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.visitsanjuans.com/includes/media/images/San-Juan-Island-Map.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.visitsanjuans.com/travel-trade/&usg=__T3ocU7h34e2KdCGBZVsbU5XJE78=&h=1350&w=1200&sz=1313&hl=en&start=1&itbs=1&tbnid=dNstXXEBIZgIHM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsan%2Bjuan%2Bisland%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26tbo%3D1%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”