Gary350
Super Green Thumb

How do you mark your garden plants?

In the post I have made a map of my garden. 15 rows with a list of what is planted in each row. It is hard to know what type tomato I picked off of row 5 plant #7 even looking at the map. This year I have 7 different varieties of tomatoes and 3 different peppers. There must be a better way to mark the plants.

How you do folks keep track of what you have planted in the garden?
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GardenJester

I don't keep track, I like suprises. :P

It helps when you only have 4 rows and no more than 3 varieties of anything. I have to try hard to forget what I planted and where.

applestar
Mod

I usually put a tag on the tomato cage at convenient level. Over the years, I've used masking tape or electrical tape marked with permanent marker, taped on store-bought transplant seedling labels, etc. This year, I'm going to punch a hole in the seedling labels which I cut out of plastic container lids and tie them on. I'm also discovering that the SOLO cups seedling pots that I marked with permanent markers could be cut into tags.

The map then becomes a back-up in case the tag is lost. This year, I'm not making a very good map for the rest of the veggies, but I have to do a good job marking the tomatoes because I have so many different varieties! :()

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I use flagging tape.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23334

Lupinus

Garage sale or similar sign cut into strips and marked with permanent marker.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I use reflective tape they use for truck and trailers. Fold the tape over the metal and stick it to itself. On trellis plants I'll put it on the trellis and everything else gets a 6" wire ring around the base of the plant with the tape on. Sharpie marker will stay and as long as you let it dry first. I certainly never lose them they're so bright! Make sure you have a razor knife for fall though, the tape is a bear to get off without one!!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I recycle:
I cut water jugs into cloches, and the bottom into pot saucers.

Then after a few years, they become feeders for the plants.

When they get a bit brittle from the sun, I take my scissors and cut out plant tags, I am cutting out circles, with huge holes in the middle and one edge open, so I can simply lightly fold and put it on the stems. I can write on these with my Sharpie, and I also put numbers on them.

The number is simply the number on my seeds on hand database, just in case I have problems reading the name.

I also make a map of what is planted where.
And I try to group plantings. For instance, not all tomatoes together,
I try to put all the Cherokee Purple together in one area, and the Brandywines some where else. So, I know that grouping is this or that, whether that grouping is only 1 plant even, I try to divide it off from the other tomatoes with something else growing by it... to aid me in identifying if I should lose tags.

But this year, who knows? I have so many more growing than is normal for me, and I am enlarging the growing area so much, that I know I will get lost on what is what, I may use more than one identifier.

I am still stumped on id-ing the tulip colors, I suppose my plastic markers just stuck in ground beside them?

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I have a six year old son, so anything staked in the ground is worthless, so I just write down where I planted what in my raised beds, but because I do companion planting and stick seeds and plants often, eventually everything is a fun chaos. :lol:

Gerrie

One of my neighbors puts the whole empty seed packet into a sandwich size baggie with the open side down so it won't get water in it and puts it over a small stake. They look colorful and organized. I, however don't use the whole packet of seeds at once so I can't do this since I want to save the seeds for the next planting.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I use something along these lines.

https://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/9689?cid=pport0001&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=shopping%20portal&utm_campaign=shopping%20portals&CAWELAID=63704753

(wouldn't order form this site, horrible reviews. Shady company.

However, I create them myself since the prices online are outrageous, especially for shipping. Its like 14 bucks to ship. I just buy some styrene plastic and trace out T-labels. The plastic is very thick, kind of hard to cut but its worth it. You can reuse these forever...

Styrene plastic

https://www.micromark.com/WHITE-STYRENE-PLASTIC-11-WIDE-x-14-LONG-x-060-THICK,7590.html

using a sharpy works fine...

Tater
Cool Member

wood stakesand a sharpie and spray with polyurethane so the rain doesn't wash away the writing

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I grow in raised beds. I simply use a black magic marker or sharpie and write on the top of the landscape timbers. The ink will fade in the sunlight and be almost gone by next spring. I then write over last years information.

I typically write the variety of the plant, date planted, date of first harvest, and other information. If for any reason, I decide I am not happy with the variety, I mark a big black X over all the information. If I am really happy with it, I draw a circle around the information and grow it again.

Ted

jmoore

I use popsicle sticks and write what's planted on one side and the planting date on the other. They eventually rot on the bottom but it takes several months.

My kids have a shoebox full of popsicle sticks (new) in their art cabinet, so I just grab those.

scot29
Cool Member

A better way?! Ha! :D I'm a map guy. But w/ such variety, something on site would be helpful. There's been some good suggestions so far.
I like to use a detailed map for several reasons. Aside from telling me what my veggies & varieties are, I use it to record the planting date & fertilizer information (what got fed on a given day & how much). Also, when planning the present year's garden, I use the previous year's map to ensure proper crop rotation.
Best of luck!

Jbest

Old mini blinds and a pencil. John

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"How do you mark your garden plants?"

I don't. Its a pain. The markers get lost, the Magic Marker fades very quickly. You end up guessing anyway. If I have something unusual that I want to keep track of, I just make a note in my notebook about it and where it is planted.

If I need to mark a row I just use a wood stake. Sometimes on slow germinating things like carrots, I will put a few radish seeds on each end of the row to mark the row. The radishes come up quickly.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Oh, yes, radishes grow quickly. The only problem, that I am the only one in the family who eats them and even me -several times a year. I did buy some german giant radish seeds(which supposed to never get too spicy and woody), so I might raise some this year.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Try a cooked radish, it will make a radish lover out of you.

Prior to trying cooking them, which I learned about here, I ate 2-3 per year. Now I can eat that many in a meal, easily.

They are great cooked!

1chichi

I cut up the plastic container strawberries came in and made tags. They r skewered on toothpicks.
Also, I cut a drinking straw into pieces and made little Id. stakes.

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4528970806_d868e184e2.jpg[/img]

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

First time I saw a set of plastic tags - I was shocked with the price!!!

Old mini blinds and ball point pen - does last for entire year (permanent markers don't seem to last for me). Then I attach the tag to the cage at convenient level...

Regards,
D

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote:Old mini blinds and ball point pen - does last for entire year (permanent markers don't seem to last for me). Then I attach the tag to the cage at convenient level...

Regards,
D
I use old mini blinds (cut into the right length and into a point) labelled with permanent marker. The ink lasts just long enough to harden off and plant out. Then I leave the markers in the sun to get rid of the rest of the ink to use for next year. As far as what plant is what, I draw a map (prior to planting), stick to the plan, and memorize it as soon as possible.

Tips for memorizing: every time you're watering, name the plant. So I had a chant last year with 5 or 6 kinds of peppers and 10 kinds of tomatoes. By the end of the season I could put the produce in the basket and still knew what plant it came from when I got to the kitchen ;)

My chant went as follows: "prudens purple; carbon; black cherry; green giant; siletz; marianna's; carbon; grushovka; lime green salad" see I still know it!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

petalfuzz wrote:
Duh_Vinci wrote:Old mini blinds and ball point pen - does last for entire year (permanent markers don't seem to last for me). Then I attach the tag to the cage at convenient level...

Regards,
D
I use old mini blinds (cut into the right length and into a point) labelled with permanent marker. The ink lasts just long enough to harden off and plant out. Then I leave the markers in the sun to get rid of the rest of the ink to use for next year. As far as what plant is what, I draw a map (prior to planting), stick to the plan, and memorize it as soon as possible.

Tips for memorizing: every time you're watering, name the plant. So I had a chant last year with 5 or 6 kinds of peppers and 10 kinds of tomatoes. By the end of the season I could put the produce in the basket and still knew what plant it came from when I got to the kitchen ;)

My chant went as follows: "prudens purple; carbon; black cherry; green giant; siletz; marianna's; carbon; grushovka; lime green salad" see I still know it!
I love your method Carolyn. I also like the old mini blind recycling method. At first, I had a problem with it because my memory was stuck on metal blinds then I finally got my brain in gear and remembered that mini blinds are made from plastic today. Easy to cut and easy to write on.

Ted

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

How about a digital camera. It not only takes a photo map for you, it has the date also. You could also type text on the photo if you really want to get creative.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”