StorageSmart2
Cool Member

I'm So Excited About Potatoes!

I'm so excited about Potatoes right now! To make a long story short, I planted some potato sprouts for the first time ever and one of them just grew a new leaf. I don't know anything about growing potatoes, so this is very neat for me. :D

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

guess who else is?

smile, potatoes love you too.

Zapatay

!potatoes! wrote:guess who else is?

smile, potatoes love you too.

lol

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

Its so exciting! I am growing potatoes for the first time this year and its so fun to see how well they are doing.

Zapatay

Wow - Lots of traffic on potato discussions.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I am sooooo spoiled and in less than a 20 min drive can buy 50 pounds of all natural organically grown potatoes (including baby reds and yukon golds!) for under $10. Leaves me more room for other stuff in my little garden :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

dixanna you do know that nothing taste better than what you grew in your own garden don't you. :lol: Maybe you should give it a try.

Ah fresh potatoes I have quite a few growing I can't wait.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I know it's not the same, but I don't think the hubby would be very happy if I tore out the whole back yard so I could grow everything :D

StorageSmart2
Cool Member

Dixana wrote:I know it's not the same, but I don't think the hubby would be very happy if I tore out the whole back yard so I could grow everything :D
lol. I know what you mean. Sometimes grass, patio, and driveway seem like a waste of space. :)

I'm sure they're there for a reason, though. Sometimes I just forget what it is.

kylie77

That's awesome! I'm trying potatoes for the first time this year as well. I have very limited space unfortunately so I'm just trying a few containers of potatoes. Can't wait to see how they grow!

jmoore

Dixana wrote:I know it's not the same, but I don't think the hubby would be very happy if I tore out the whole back yard so I could grow everything :D
He might if he didn't have to mow and weedeat back there anymore :thumbsup:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

What cuz he's the guys he does the yard work? :roll: he drives truck all week so I get to do all that... as to the yard he's more concerned for having a place for the dog and toddler to run, not to mention the firepit for family gatherings.

jmoore

Dixana wrote:What cuz he's the guys he does the yard work? :roll: he drives truck all week so I get to do all that... as to the yard he's more concerned for having a place for the dog and toddler to run, not to mention the firepit for family gatherings.
I wasn't insinuating anything. Just that less yard work is generally better. And I do all the yard and garden work at my house, so I'd be happy to give up some yard to the garden.

Firepits are awesome!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I LOVE the fire pit! I'm counting the years, months, days until we move to the middle of no where and can have real BIG fires! (and no nosy/rude/annoying neighbors) But for now I'll settle for sitting around the fire pit with friends and a few beers :D

jmoore

Dixana wrote:But for now I'll settle for sitting around the fire pit with friends and a few beers :D
Me too! What time should we be over tonight :lol:

If someone doesn't like a firepit and a few beers, then something is seriously wrong with them.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

LOL you might wanna reconsider coming to my house tonight unless 34 degrees and windy as heck sounds good to you!
My hubby wants to take the boat out fishing amd even now in the warmest part of the day it's only like 55!! We go out on the lake I'll either throw up from the rough water or freeze to death....or maybe both :(

jmoore

Dixana wrote:LOL you might wanna reconsider coming to my house tonight unless 34 degrees and windy as heck sounds good to you!
My hubby wants to take the boat out fishing amd even now in the warmest part of the day it's only like 55!! We go out on the lake I'll either throw up from the rough water or freeze to death....or maybe both :(
OK then, bring your whole crew to my house. I just built a new deck in the backyard and it's gonna be in the mid-60's and clear tonight in TX. We can come to your place in Aug when it's still in the 90's at midnight down here.

I'll call tedln to join us. He lives near here too. We can all talk about fishing over a few Shiner Bocks. Just don't laugh at my little garden.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Dixana, I see your from zone 4, what state? As I always have trouble with the wind here in South Dakota when its time to harden off the plants. For the last 5 days or so that I've checked its been everywhere from 18mph to 32 gusting to 40. Crazy, the temps are nice though 60's and 70's.

Anyway, what potatoes is everyone planting? I'm still waiting to get my out...

I have: Maris Piper, Belle De Fontenay, King Edward, Nicola, Epicure, Peanut

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I'm in central eastern wisconsin. We have pretty wacky weather, but just wind is not all that commom until lately!

barbelle

This is my first garden and I am most excited about the potato plants!! I built a "potato condo" as my container.

Wish me luck!!!

84pagirl

I 2 am excited about planting potatoes this season. I bought some french fingerling potatoes from gurneys considering the garbag can method of planting them, anyone tried it?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”