hardland

Question about tomato pollenation ?

Hi, I'm new to this and was wondering about pollenation on tomatoes. Do bees need to be present to pollenate tomato plant?
I discovered my first tomatoes today on a plant!! The neighbors must have thought I was crazy, jumping up and down at 7 in the morning like a complete fool !! :D :lol:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Bees are helpful, but I think that tomatoes are mostly wind pollinated as the slightest shaking will cause the pollen to disburse.

tn_veggie_gardner

lol...I just did that dance myself recently when I found my first mater growing! Yay! =) Regarding the pollination, wind will take care of it 90-95% of the time, but it doesn't hurt to do extra things like rub a q-tip gently on all the open flowers, gently flick the base flower stem, etc..

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Vibration pollinated is a better term than wind pollination. Botanically, wind pollinated plants have pollen blown from one flower to another. With tomatoes a flower generally pollinates itself when a vibration shakes pollen loose to fall onto the stigma. The flower is designed for a bee to create an optimal vibrtion, which is why it is more economical to bring bees into a tomato greenhouse than to use mechanical vibrators on the plants.

tn_veggie_gardner

I refuse to comment further on plant vibrators. ;-)

hardland

tn_veggie_gardner wrote:I refuse to comment further on plant vibrators. ;-)
Yes, Let's not go there... :shock: :lol:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

OK, I guess you could use the official terms

"Recent studies designed to measure the effectiveness of electric pollination equipment such as so-called buzzers indicate the extent to which maximum pollen transference seems to be of outstanding concern. "

https://www.actahort.org/members/showpdf?booknrarnr=4_10

Mommy, Whats this? (embarrassing pause, red face, quick thinking...) Oh, thats just some electronic pollination equipment for the garden.

Most people just use an electric toothbrush though.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”