peacefuljay
Newly Registered

A bansai tree that can grow inside and outside.Beginner here

I am a total beginner to bansai trees and I want to get started in them. So I'm wondering what is a good beginner tree that I can grow indoors and outdoors and be able to get a feel for bansai trees. I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota if that helps at all.
Thanks guys :D

TomM
Greener Thumb

pj - Bonsai, say "bone-sigh", can be created from many types of trees and plants. To pick a good beginner tree that can be grown both indoors or out when you live in Minn, Minn. or in Cedarville, NY as I do, can be a real challenge. Trees that are native to your area are cold hardy, requiring a cold winter dormancy period and a springtime wake up. A tree that will thrive indoors in Minnesota is almost always a native of the tropical regions of the planet - warm year round like inside your home, but with added light and humidity.
Rather then suggest a tree that can be both I would say try a distinctly "indoor" ficus or jade to practice on and learn from. Read all you can on these tree types which are easy to grow near a good window. Their requirements are few, and cost is low. Work your way up over time - learn from forums like this, and, if you are inspired, contact the Bonsai Society in Minneapolis for more guidance.
Best of luck - glad you came here with your question.
TomM

peacefuljay
Newly Registered

Thank you for the help I will check those out...
Didn't even see I was spelling it wrong.. Haha oops.
Thanks again

TomM
Greener Thumb

javajay - Now I got the spelling 'fixed'. Hey have a great day. Must be early in MM. Glad to help. Hope your interest in bonsai is peaceful and rewarding.
tm

JTred
Green Thumb

Ficus must be grown indoors and will benefit from spending summer outdoors, as long as you don't let it stay outside when the nighttime temps drop below 40F. It also needs to be moved inside and outside gradually. Other than that, its pretty beginner-proof. No matter what, do lots of research and maybe choose two or three trees of different species, type, or level of refinement. That way you have more material to learn from and you'll always have something to do. Also it won't be as big of a loss if something goes awry.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”