Binkalette

Now what I don't understand is why Grocery stores can't make paper bags with HANDLES. I like to carry 5 bags on each arm tyvm. I know they make the reusable ones you can buy.. but I'm really not one to remember to bring my bags every time I go out.. or even remember to put them BACK in the car after I've unloaded them. The only reusable bag I have is currently hanging up in the closet, stuffed with plastic grocery bags that I use for the bathroom garbage can and picking up dog poop. :)

webmaster
Site Admin

The only reusable bag I have is currently hanging up in the closet...
I keep mine in the car trunk. But I still forget it half the time. :?

dan1003

Now what I don't understand is why Grocery stores can't make paper bags with HANDLES
Mine does! Alas, the local chain is being taken over by Martin's (owners of Giant and some other chains as well). Hope they keep the handles and the associates that bag and bring the groceries to your car in a cart.

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

I guess they don't put handles on because it costs more. I used to work for a company that manufactured bags and packaging and just adding handles adds a fair amount onto the price.

applestar
Mod

webmaster wrote:I keep mine in the car trunk. But I still forget it half the time. :?
I do that too. :lol:
At smaller stores like Trader Joe's I've actually told the cashier to keep ringing up my stuff while I dash outside to get my bags. :wink:

At first I kept on forgetting to put the bags in the car. So now, I have a system: When I put away the groceries, I systematically put the emptied bags in one of the bags. When done. I hang the bag of bags on the front door knob. Now I can't forget to take them out to the car next time I go outside.

Also, I used to keep individual store's reusable bags separate, which, of course, got to be too much of a hassle. So now, I'll take Walmart and TJ Maxx bags to Whole Foods and Whole Foods bags to Trader Joe's and won't think anything of it. On the whole, though, Walmart bags are too small and flimsy, and TJ Maxx bags are too big for groceries. Whole Foods bags are made better, and I really like TJ Maxx Homegoods bags. What I really want to do, though, is to go back to the cotton canvas bags.

applestar
Mod

Well, Whole Foods gives you 5¢ (big whoop! but better than nothing :roll:) for each bag of yours that's used to bag your purchase.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I realize for many people the collection plastic grocery baggies is huge. But, what do you use for trash bags? I stay about even on my incoming and outgoing.
Now I don't buy a load of groceries, being just me and limited income. And as few products as possible with extra packaging. I use the baggie in the kitchen can (also bathroom etc). I do get paper bags 2 -3 times/week for the recycle trash (news paper and cardboard). I also use a few baggies a week when packing orders in my small business.
I guess my question is Do you buy Hefty (or whatever brand) baggies for trash?

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

My other half always ends up getting plastic bags when he shops- I tend to just carry the stuff if it won't fit in whatever hand bag I'm carrying. Anyway, the bags we do get come in useful, I use them to pick up after our dog poops when we go for a walk, and for anything that can't be recycled or composted at home.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Most paper bags with handles won't handle much weight. I've seen stores that carry them and you sometimes end up with 10 bags just so they won't rip.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”