Greywolf

"Pre-Destroyed" ('GARPED') Lawnmowers & equipm

It amazes me how much motor-driven stuff is out there either being thrown away, or available cheap at yard and garage sales. Granted - I know a lot more about small engines than the average person - but a lot of the time perfectly good machinery is for sale cheap or being tossed because of small parts missing, or gunk in a gas tank, because it's rusty and nasty looking, or a control cable broke that the owner had no idea where to get a replacement for.

I HAVEN'T PAID CASH FOR A PUSHMOWER (3.5 to 6 HP) FOR TEN YEARS...

When I see one out next to someones trash, I ask first if it is being chucked, and then take it home. I know I can either fix it or use it for parts. I also have the option of selling or trading any spare ones I have around.

Right now I have three lawn tractors, one of which is a John Deere that is only two years old. The JD cost me $100.oo for parts to fix it (Broken Rod - the owner just gave it to me).

My project mower cost me $50.oo, and has more HP than either of the others.

I have a Craftsman that only cost me $150.oo, but I've put a lot of cash into it customising it...

I have two roto-tillers.

The small one I traded an old bicycle for.

The five horse one I traded a wrecked 175cc dirt bike for.

It pays to learn as much as you can about outdoor power equipment, because often it only needs a little to gain a solid working piece that will last for years. If all it takes is a paint job, well shucks!

And as far as free lawnmowers go - it doesn't matter what happens to them if they were FREE, now does it?

There are a number of really good small engine self-help places scattered around the web too, not to mention tractor forums. Keep an eye peeled! You never know what you might luck into :wink:

~Dutch J.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Dutch,

I know exactly what you are saying. I grew up in the rental business. We rented out equipment and also did outside repairs. Work for my parents for 14 years and another 5 for the new owner. He got hard to deal with, so it was time to move on. I moved to my 6.5 acres and now do landscaping and own my own repair shop. One of my favorit sayings is, "If you can fix it, you can have it". :roll: So people are always giving me stuff. :D Not even sure what this really means. If I can't fix it, they want it back :?

Keep on rockin in the free world.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Is there a good site to learn more about repair and tuning up small motors?

mtmickey

Check your local library, not only do many of them have books on small engine repair, but they often subscribe to databases where you are able to look things up. Also, if you have a local community college near by, check with them. Ours offers small engine repair classes for fairly cheap.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hello,

First I'd like to say, motors are electric and Engines are internal combustion. That's the way I like to think anyway. GM even got it wrong :lol:

Most small engine manufactures have parts list and diagrams online. There are many tech forums also. For me the best way to learn is hands on. Apprentice under a skilled worker.

Greywolf

tomf wrote:Is there a good site to learn more about repair and tuning up small motors?
I have mentioned this website in another post here, and since it does not infringe on anything going on in the helpfulgardener forums, here it is again:
https://www.mytractorforum.com

Like here, it is a free to join site with a lot of info sharing. It covers all sizes of tractors from agricultural all the way down to the most basic of small lawn machines and tillers - thus I think it makes a good complementary site to this one.

*Once again NOTE: It is not MY OWN website. I don't webmaster anymore.

There is an interesting article or two at "HowStuffWorks":
https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/repair/how-to-repair-small-engines.htm

For parts there are a lot of good wholesale and retail outlets. Kohler offers free manuals for their engines that can be downloaded as pdf files. Briggs and Stratton prefers to sell manuals, but you can download parts identification breakdowns for each of their engines. The JD tractor I have has a Briggs engine, and I ordered my parts directly from them online with a cred/debit card (I consider the shipping and handling less than the fuel cost of driving all over town, not to mention the value of my own time).

For many other engines and equipment here is a jewel of a link:
(It's a good parts source for Tecumseh engines, and also Craftsman Tractors)
https://www.outdoordistributors.com/

For Kohler engines use this one:
https://www.kohlerengines.com/home.htm

Briggs and Stratton is here:
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/

Sears and Craftsman both outsource a lot of the parts of their mowers and tractors, so going to Sears for parts means you are actually dealing with an unecessary "Middleman". Some parts they claim are no longer supported by Sears, but they are still made, like (for example) the Brake Pads for their older tractors. (SEE: Outdoor Distributors, above)

Most lawn equipment is not even made by who you think they are!
Most Craftsman mowers are actually made by AYP (American Yard Products), and Scotts are made by John Deere. A lot of the rest, no matter what store or brand name is on them are really made by [url=https://www.mtdproducts.com/corporate/ourCompany.jsp]MTD[/url].
(quote) "The MTD family of brands includes Cub Cadet, Cub Cadet Commercial, Cub Cadet Yanmar, Troy-Bilt, White Outdoor, Yard-Man, Yard Machines, Bolens, Arnold, GardenWay, MTD Pro and MTD Gold."
I've heard MURRAY machines are also contracted through MTD.

But one thing they all have in common is a small number of companies that their engines come from, like B&S, Tecumseh, Kohler, etc... So that much is pretty easy to track down.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Now I know where to bring my fancy lawn mower I killed!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/ge90.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

That sucks and it blows too :lol:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It may be a bit much for my lawn mower but as Tool Time Tim say's " more power".

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Is there a retro kit for a 2001 F250 :?: :wink:

Greywolf

tomf wrote:[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/ge90.jpg[/img]
I take it you own an extraordinary "LEAF BLOWER"...
Susan W wrote:Now I know where to bring my fancy lawn mower I killed!
If I can help you, I will
DoubleDogFarm wrote:Is there a retro kit for a 2001 F250 :?: :wink:
Try going to www.ford-trucks.com - tell them "Greywolf" sent you...
(Right about now, I bet they'd be shocked!)

It's amazing what you can do with anything that has a real "FRAME" under it. I could bolt a 1935 Ford cab and bed directly onto a Ranger 1/4 ton or Explorer frame if I so chose to do... But it wouldn't have the old time front suspension. IT WOULD have a 351W engine :lol:
(That is the stuff of which true HOTRODS are made)

~but that has little to do with home grown tomatoes, except that fat fendered farm trucks are wonderful!

What a pity this isn't a JELSOFT based forum - I'd positive rep DoubleDog in a heartbeat just for the signature message...

Be careful, if you listen to the likes of me for too long - my "RAPSCALLION" attitude may affect you...

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What, don't like Metallica :shock:

Greywolf

I said "POSITIVE" rep!

I've been a 'Talicca head for ages, even after all the fuss they raised about Pirating and Ripping. S&M is one of the best albums I know of...

(Some people don't like it for the same reason the Alice in Chains Live Unplugged album didn't trip everyones trigger. It was too different for their taste).

"Symphony and Metalicca" has an incredibly deep and full sound to it.

There again - anything at all by ZZTOP is a "GOTTA HAVE"!!!

What I've felt, what I've known
Turn the pages, turn the stone
Behind the door, should I open it for you....

-complete the quote-

To paraphrase the band "BOSTON":
"GARDENERS ROCK TOO!"

~We now return you to your regularly scheduled ripening~

* I note that I will likely become a paying member here, once I have sorted out my cashflow this month. This place is too good to fail to support

OH! Is this a completely FREE membership website? I've been looking around for where you become a fully paid up member

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, what I've felt
What I've known
Sick and tired, I stand alone
Could you be there
'Cause I'm the one who waits for you
Or are you unforgiven too?

Have to throw RUSH into the mix

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
'The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light'
Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have a guitar amp that goes to 11. :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Why don't you just make 10 a little louder. :wink:

Greywolf

Some music you just can't listen to quietly.

I've always thought that if you really want to hear it - it should be at the ORIGINAL VOLUME.
(My neighbors hate me for that)

Lucky them that I don't have the means to support an accurate repro of an Ozzy or Rammstien Concert.

-He states, drily-

Even Yanni was loud in true form! In all probability the least distrubing music I like is George Winston or David Arkenstone. But I truly believe a quote I can't pin down the owner of - it may well have been Mozart -

"All music is good music - except the BORING kind"

I'm also attracted to a lot of classical music - including the Pachelbel Canon and also the Gypsy Kings, though I must confess I am a Gabacho... :lol:

So you see - I am "ECCLECTIC" as they come.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Why don't you just make 10 a little louder. :wink:
Good guestion, that is a quote from a movie called This is Spinal Tap, it has become a joke that guitarists love to say.

This is one of my amps. it goes to 20 some thing.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/speakers.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I was trying to be part of the joke.

"THESE GO TO 11"

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I though so as I think that is also a quote from the movie. :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yes, all of the above. :lol:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Ddog looking at your photo of the dog in the car makes me think if dogs were the ones who invented cars there would be no windshields .

I was wrong about the amp above it goes to 32. 8)
Or 560W in to 8 ohms.

I am going to be tuning up some weed eat eaters and chainsaws soon.
It is about time to start using them.

Greywolf

JACK IT

If the neighbors complain, they were never young

What makes you want to win?
Why do you try when it sucks
Why don't you give in?
THAT is an "AMERICAN"

And you thought you were just being silly....

So when people do not understand your music - there it is

"WE ARE A FREE PEOPLE, TO THINK WHAT WE LIKE"
KMA - I am still myself

UBU

tomf
Super Green Thumb

My neighbors are far away from my house, from my house I can not see any other houses, so if I can stand the volume they will never hear it.
I could have some friends come by and jam outside then they would, but they would just come by and join in.
8) :lol: :wink:

Greywolf

:lol:

I got the "FREE" tractor I was working on running last week (2 year old Scotts Deere), now I'm planning to pull the 15 horse out of my 5 year old Craftsman and stuff in an 18 horse Briggs twin with a wide open dual exhaust!!!

I've slowly customised the Craftsman from the beginning, and plan for it to be a small plowing machine...

[img]https://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad5/RevanchistFinancial/thebullfrog.jpg[/img]
~The above picture is why the Craftsman tractor is nicknamed "BULLFROG"

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Nice wheelie!

I have a neighbor a few miles away that races lawn mowers. I stopped by for a barn sale and they had some hot rod lawn mowers there. They have a bus that says some thing about lawn mower racing on its side. It cracks me up; people will race any thing that moves.

I have been working on my lawn mowers, chain saws, weed eaters and other gear and I am starting to get faster at it, so even an old dog can learn new tricks.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”