malkore
Cool Member

The weather is killing me

Its nearly 80F out today and just lovely.

But I'm barely zone 5, so that means May before I can plant outside.

Such a tease!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

86 here today and I'm a little nutty so I'm taking chances and planting things.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

April 2 and it will get to 85 degrees today! a record high for us. Should be 61 at this time of year here. I'm busy PLANTING EVERYTHING!! There is no more frost in the 10 day forecast, which gets us to April 11 and our average last frost date is April 15, so I'm thinking we are done with frost this season.

But spring went by way too fast!!

applestar
Mod

Wow, that's a good point, rainbowgardener. 8)
My avg. last frost is the 22nd so I have to consider at least another week of possible weather turnaround awa low 40's which toms don't like, but with some protection, getting things out is a definite possibility.

I just received one of my seed potatoes order, with another one coming on Monday, and PURPLE asparagus roots yesterday, and tea plants two days ago. You're not kidding about getting busy "PLANTING EVERYTHING!" :lol: :wink:

Juncos and White-throated Sparrows/Song Sparrows are still here though, and I think only the scout Robins are back, so they're not feeling the spring yet, though I'd be surprised if they're still here after the "heat wave".

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I am still holding back, and not trusting the weather, I am still keeping seedlings inside, and only planting the 'safe' to go things.

But, this weather is killing me... oh my aching muscles.
From snow on the ground, and just puttering around inside, planting seedlings, to raking leaves, carrying bags of potting soil, filling inserts, and then shoveling out a truckload of dirt/compost mix. And I still see so much brush that needs clearing!

It is too pretty to stay inside, and yet, being outside is kicking my butt! This is normal here, winter one day, and a/c on the next! But, as usual, I am watching the wild plants.

I won't put delicate plants, like tomatoes and peppers into the ground, until the signs are right. My sign is: blackberries are done blooming. Right now the blackberries are getting leaves, the wild cherry, my peach and apricot trees, the tulips and daffodils are in full bloom, may pops are poking their heads out, spring is coming. I am still gearing up, getting ready. But, no tender plants go out, even with a cloche until... blackberries bloom!

But, I have lots to get done before then. And lots of muscles to get used to the change in activities. From hothouse flower, to landscape person overnight is tough at my age, oddly it was tough at all ages. I remember back to school and P.E. programs and getting sore, and this was after an active summer. Then school out, and back to horseback riding, bike riding, tree climbing, hiking and exploring, and sore muscles then too.

Is anyone else sore, from enjoying the weather? :lol:

Greywolf

My biggest problem with the weather right now is that I have some of the loosest soil I've seen anywhere, as soon as water hits it, the stuff practically turns into quick-mud...

And it has been raining so much I just can't get out there and till! Everytime it's just about right, here come the rain again..

I'm serious, if I went out today after the storms I just got in my area (5 miles from the Mississippi river) the tiller would be sunk all the way up to its sparkplug!!!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Every one complains about the wether but no one ever does any thing about it. :lol:

It has been a wild ride here we have had a warm winter and things started to grow early then it got cold. I am at the base of the cascade range so I got a small amount of snow one day. On Mt. Hood it has been dumping feet of snow, being a skier I am sooo happy about that, powder!
I need it to stop raining long enough to till up my garden with out hurting the soil. I have lots of mulch to till in to it.

Greywolf

Has anyone noticed that when the temperatures go from warm to cold, the winds are more or less placid - but let the weather have a rise in temperature and look at all the storms we have!
(he remarks, quietly)

As if there is energy that must be released in some way...

Spring Breezes
AH! The wind is rising
I wonder if my plants are safe...
Each year, as if it were suprising
I don't know what will be each day...

~Greywolf Hunting

(Nom de Plume)

"It is necessary to be ROBUST! In order to appreciate everything"
(unknown or annonymous. Presumed to be a Basque saying)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Another day, and sore again!
It is just too nice outside, to go inside again!

I spent 8 hours, planting roses, tending the strawberries, that are in bloom, and in general getting geared up for the coming season.
I didn't plant anything, other than the roses, it is just too early.

Hey, Alex, the garlic you sent to me, is breaking the surface, and looking good.
Green peas are up, onions, garlic, radishes, but the lettuce and Swiss Chard are still holding back. They were planted with the others, in fact a week before the peas, but not up yet.

applestar
Mod

Sore, yes -- the Adirondack Blue seed potatoes came today and I planted them... AFTER I had completely sifted and turned my compost pile :o But the weather is also mentally driving me crazy! :roll:
Wednesday's high is forecast to be 87ºF and Friday's low is to be 37ºF, which means in my garden it might get as low as 35ºF :shock:

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I smile both sides of my mouth. For us, last frost April 15. I think of the years I worked (albeit p/t) garden centers. We put stuff out as people wanted and bought! Bingo, cold. We pulled so much stuff back in under cover.
And customers came back needing more stuff they just lost!

I am very hesitant on putting stuff out early if it can't be pulled back in safely.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I was just told to be sure to cover my roses, Thursday night, frost is imminent.

Greywolf

This year I am using a "CUP/SPROUT" method outdoors that I will detail later.

I got sick and disgusted with losing plants, and have developed an alternative method - it is not an indoor gardening sprout way - it is about seeding in the garden outdoors with protection.

And it uses simple plastic cups.

Some with the bottom cut out, and some with a drain hole in the center.

I will share the whole thing with you once it is proven.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”