sasquatch923
Newly Registered

HELP ME ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS

I am planting 5 different tomato plants and many varieties of peppers some hot some not hot. I am using Topsy turvy s for the peppers and tomatoes and I plan on hanging them near each other. is this ok? will it effect the taste of tomatoes and will the hot peppers make the sweet peppers hot or the bell peppers hot? will cross pollination ruin my harvests?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Have you grown in the "topsy turvy" before? Some good gardening techniques don't apply in the upside down practice.

You don't have to worry about cross pollination effecting your crop this year. If you plan on growing from seed next year from what you grow this year, that could be effected.

Ted

sasquatch923
Newly Registered

Thank you very much this idea has been scaring me. I am going to plant jalapeños near a habenero plant with a scoville of 100 so I did not want the habenero to get too hot but maybe ill see if I can get a kind of hot habenero cross with a jalapeño the next year from the seeds lol

thanks a bunch now I don't have to worry :) bring on the peppers

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't worry too much about a Hab x Jalapeno cross, they are different species (C chinense vs. C annuum) and have reduced cross pollination success.

Topsy Turvey growing is not a very effective way to grow anything because the sun heats up the cotainer and stresses the roots, and the container shades the plants to some extent. You will also need to water several times a day once the plants get larger. Someone once mentioned that peppers are too brittle for upside down growing in that they will break themselves under their own weight, but I have not heard of it happening yet...have not heard of any one growing peppers that way.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”