tn_veggie_gardner

Perennials from seed: when to pot up?

I started several varieties of perennials from seed about 8-9 days ago. Many of them have sporuted and grown 2 inches or so. This is the first time I've grown any from seed. Do they suffer heavily from transplant shock? If I have 2-3 per square coir seed thingy, would seperating them kill them? Normally, with veggies, I just take the plant out carefully, making sure to get all the roots (or as many as possible if seperating from other seedlings), put it in new home making sure it's stable and they're good to go. If I should wait a while to pot them up (was going to use 16-20 oz plastic cups), when should I do it & any pointers for the process? Any & all help greatly appreciated. =) Thanks! - Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think they can be treated like your veggie seedlings, just separate them carefully. Best not done until they have a couple pair of true leaves.... the seedlings are a little sturdier then. I've grown a number of different perennials from seed and not had too much trouble with transplant shock, etc.

tn_veggie_gardner

Ok, thanks a bunch for the info, rainbow. =) I was going to pot up a bunch of them this weekend, but they are barely starting to grow their 2nd sets of leaves and are only about 2 inches tall. So, I will wait until at least next weekend to do it.

Return to “Perennials”