FairyDust
Cool Member

Has anyone else gone overboard this spring?

I have gone nuts with buying plants this spring.

So far I've bought the following:

4 different hostas
8 dahlias
3 pansies
6 new Guinea Impatients
2 Emerald Blue Creeping Phlox
6 Azaleas
1 Hydrangea
1 Heather
1 Columbine
2 Honeysuckles
6 Munstead Lavenders
1 Lady Fern
3 Different Lenten Roses
1 Water Lily

And I'm pretty sure there's more, just can't think of them right now. This is our first spring in this house, but man I never thought I'd buy so many plants. I am having so much fun though. we also just got 5 yards of mulch delivered this week and put in a row of flowerbeds lining the back of our house.

Anyone else going a bit nuts this year with spring fever?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I thought that was an every year occurrence? :?
You can always tell a true gardener cause they just can't stop themselves!!! :lol:

Val

FairyDust
Cool Member

it very well may become every year for me. :lol:

It's been several years since I've been able to garden and I'm just going nuts. My poor husband is looking more like "when is this going to end?" :lol: So far we've put in a semi-shade garden, then him and his friend put in a flowerbed that runs the length of the back of our house to match the one in the front of the house. Put in a pond, etc.

We just got done spreading most of the 5 yards of mulch we bought and probably this week I'm going to have top soil delivered for the frontyard because the previous owners trashed the grass so bad. I guess they used to just park cars all over the frontyard and the ground is pretty uneven and very sandy.

then I'll have a few yards brought in of river rock to fix our driveway that was all river rock at some point in its life. My husband is getting deployed for 2 months and he really wanted this done and I acted like oh well lets wait until next year... but I'm gonna do it to surprise him when he's gone. :D

It seems like everytime we go to the nursery or heck even Lowes I wind up coming back with a plant or two I didn't intend to get. Such as my hydrangea and columbine.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You're definitely hooked! We've got another one everybody!!! :lol:

Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yup, you're hooked. :)

I'm on an allowance (as in, whatever I made from working at the garden center one day a week, I spend). So far I've gotten:

3 hostas
1 Bloodgood Japanese Maple
2 Quince
2 Native Azaleas
5 PeeGee Hydrangeas
1 Glory Blue Hydrangea
1 Annabelle Hydrangea
1 seedum (I love to make jokes about these - "Seedum? Yes, I see dem."

On my list for this week's work are 3 more quince... and then there are some new pretties at the center I have my eye on. Heck they even just got in a load of rock... really NEAT rock with quartz and fools' gold in it. I'm thinking... Japanese Maple might look really cool with a cool-looking rock next to it!

:lol:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

We have alot of quartz, fool's gold, and granite in the boulders we have used to build our gardens. We just go touring the logging roads in our beat up Ford every spring, and haul rocks home! Some of them are huge - 3' across. They're just gorgeous, and they're free!! Of course up here, there is always a new logging road or two (or 3 or 4.....) every year so I don't think we'll ever run out of rock!! :wink:

Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

Val, they said those rocks came from Canada. So I guess they weren't making it up!

Can you send me some? lol. (postage... ouch!)

FairyDust
Cool Member

lol I can only imagine the postage on those rocks.

I love sedum too, I was looking at one the other day but I don't have anywhere to put it right now. Our backyard is full sun all day, but we just put in that flowerbed running the whole back of the house and we're working on a patio. So until the patio is done I'm not buying any plants (yeah I say that right now) until I know where they can go.

Oh, I also got a bleeding heart the other day too. :lol: And pretty soon I'll be getting some pond plants.

I think I am definnitely hooked. But what better pasttime to have? Makes things look prettier and keeps me out of trouble :lol:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

That's what I always tell people who ask why we spend so much time and money on our gardens. We don't smoke, drink or do drugs, this is our vice!! And it's a way healthier one too!! 8)

Fairydust, I have a small raised bed kept aside in my "vegetable" garden (that has hollyhocks, irises, clematis, wild petunias, and dahlias growing in it as well) that I call my nursery bed. It's where I put plants that I buy, plants people give me, pieces off my own plants, all that I don't have a spot for yet, but really like, so want to keep. Then when I discover the right spot, I already have the plant!!
Also, we have a habit of all of a sudden deciding one weekend that we are going to add a garden somewhere, and it has to happen right now, so I have plants on hand all the time.
You might try having a small bed somewhere like that.

Grey, I'd love to send you some rocks, but you'd have to send DH to lift them, cause by the time Ross is finished lifting all those huge boulders into the truck, he's pooped!!! :lol:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

10 Primulas
3 more blueberries (3 different varieties)
3 Gooseberries
dozens of different seeds
Flower bulbs
A flat of leaks
a flat of snow peas
A flat of snap peas
2 Heather plants

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I still just have my two roses my parents brought me. Haven't bought a thing. Too cold to put anything out, and nowhere to put it. It snowed this past weekend so it's still a little early. I'll catch up though! :wink:

Val

p.s. Does the list I have of the plants I'd like to have (and will never be able to afford) count - it just keeps growing!!! :lol:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I didn't start this thread so, I can't give a for sure answer but, I should think that your list would be great!

garden_mom

You guys must have HUGE yards! My yard is so small, but I just squeeze in whatever I can. This year I've only bought some grass seed, 3 tomatoes, bush cucumbers, pepper plants, two brocolli, a rose, honeysuckle vine, sweet pea vine, Japanese fern, marigolds (for the veggie garden), two annuals called 'angleface', two annuals I can't remember the name of, a flat of petunias, a flat of snapdragons.....and that's it. So far. I also bought a birdbath, but that doesn't really count, except that it's for the garden. Last autumn I put out some Daffodils, Tulips, miniature Glads, a foxglove, a three or four others that I can't think of the names right now, and of course they're all up now. Oh yeah, and a Lamb's Ear.

cottongin

I went CRAZY with berry plants this year. It's my dad's fault- he showed up with almost 50 strawberry plants. Then he drank a cup of coffee and left. Thanks, Dad!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”