Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Morel sighting map for foragers!

Okay folks, do you have your foraging britches on?

I found a handy little thing, morel sightings map.

I only found one for the USA, sorry folks, but that will still help some of us know when to start looking.

Based on history and last year, I should have morels up now. But, the snow is hiding them today, maybe tomorrow?

But, check out your area on this map. Hey Texas already found some morels this year.

Wonder, if we save spores, can we grow these? Apple! Can we?

Go look, see when you can 'forage' for morels in your area.

https://thegreatmorel.com/sightings.html

Editted to add: I found something!

If you are entertaining the thought of starting your own morel garden right out your back door, then you may want to consider visiting these various websites. Fungi Perfecti, which is a family-owned, environmentally friendly company specializing in using gourmet and medicinal mushrooms to improve the health of the planet and its people. They also market several growing kits, with books and needed materials. Another site to visit is BuyMorels.com which offers a morel growing kit with other items. Also, visit Gourmet Mushrooms and Mushroom Products for "The Morel Habitat Kit which was developed so everyone could enjoy growing their own morels" and other products.

joshbuchan

Spring famously bring many joys, but few match the sight of a group of morels basking in the sun. I spent years searching for them up in the woods when searching for wood loving fungi, taking special intrest in the old fire sites, which M. esculenta morels are said to favour.

now years later I have discovered only by word of mouth that theres never been morels in the wood and I had been wasting my time looking, what I did not know about M. elata morels is that they have, for most part, given up living in the country and taken up the high life in the city, now I find them everywere! and I don't have to go walking around the woods to find them, all I have to do is look in peoples well looked after rosebeds, on there lush fertile lawns, on peoples compost heaps, in well established allotment and my favouret on wood chip and bark the council has put down on plant beds.

Allways ask before u take ANY mushroom thats on sombodys property (90 times out of 100 they did not evan no they were there and are more than happy to let u snap them u)

I find them in April and May.

WARNING!
Morels are poisonous if eaten raw, but perfecly safe when cooked!

well anyways I could really go on all day about them :D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Hi Josh,
I love morels too.
I wouldn't dream of eating any mushroom raw!

Actually, I was never fond of mushrooms at all, until I tried wild ones. My first ever wild one was an oyster, then coral, then bear paw, and finally morels. I like morels, but oyster remains my favorite. Wonder if it is first love?

Is there a European version of the sightings map? Or can you simply add UK to the site? I am watching a morel forum, and I am learning the signs of morel season, when the red buds are blooming, when the May apples are coming up... ha ha well, that is more reliable than the calendar..

Spring sprung 6 inches of snow on us, and we normally don't get 6" in a year! Today is beautiful, sunny, and snow is melting, but never fast enough! Did I mention, I hate winter, I hate snow, that is why I live in the south, away from winter and snow, I am thinking farther south, but there are gators down there!

joshbuchan

hey OL

hmmm raw mushrooms! I love raw horse mushrooms, buttons, chanterelles, fairy rings, st george's and many more, I love having a munch why I forage lol :D

I have allways loved mushrooms from ever since I can remeber.

oysters are very tastie I have to agree! and a love foraging for them.
my favorite 2 mushrooms of all time are the beefstake and the chanterell! I can look allday to find theys babys!

sightings map... I really dnt know if theres one for the uk or not, I will try and find one now.

yeah we had loads of snow for like 2 weeks then it just disapeared. I was getting tired of it by the end of the 2und week, so was happy to c it go.

gators!! thats the sound of the free food bells ringing! game on I say!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Josh, would you please take your camera with you when you next go foraging?
For more photos of the mushrooms that you enjoy.
If we all do this, then we will begin to build a photo glossary of safe mushrooms for folks to look at.
I like Chanterelles, and fairy rings, I had forgotten those.
I am not familiar with horsemushrooms.

joshbuchan

yeah I will, I have my new phone with a 8.1 mega pix camera on it :D I will be looking for them all over in april and may. I have a book with loads of poisinse and edibal mushrooms in so I am allways on the hunt for a free snack. I once found a fly agaric! it was so cool but I left it there as I do not really wana get high on it... evan tho its perfectly legal to get high of it, its not my kinda thing, beer is =P I am starting to brew my own beer now but thats anouther project :roll: :lol:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I recall going to Germany with my 17 year old son. It is not legal to drink in the USA until you are 21. It was so odd that he could order beer (a) at the drive through window of McDonalds, and (b) in bars and restaurants there. In Germany, I believe the drinking age is 16? What is it in UK?

joshbuchan

its 18 to buy alchol but u can be at the age of 3 and drink legaly within your house aslong as you have your mum and dads consent :D
when I went to france and italy I was clubing and buying beer at the age of 16 :lol:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”