tedln
Super Green Thumb

Will this snow never stop.

I love winter and snow. Until this year that is. I was planning on putting some seed in the ground this weekend. Right now we have 1" of snow on the ground and it is getting heavier. This is supposed to be the first day of spring and it feels more like the first day of winter. We normally get one snow fall every two or three years in North Texas. So far this winter we have had seven snow falls.

Ted

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Mostly mid to upper 40's for lows and upper sixties to lower 70's for highs for the next ten days. Been spending time on gardening chores almost every day.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Crazy weather. Friday, it was very light jacket, sunshine, planting the garden, enjoying the daffodils in bloom. Noticing, so many plants turning green, there are many greening up already.
And then today, we got hit with rain, followed by snow, and it has snowed all afternoon, with no let up!
It is dark, but I see good sized flakes blowing by the window from time to time.
This has been the coldest and most severe winter we have had in many, many years. And it is following the coldest summer that I ever remember seeing!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Yep, this global warming is killing me.

Ted

pepper4
Green Thumb

Hang in the tedln :wink: Here in Ohio we normally get snow but this year we got quite a bit more then normal. Never thought it would go away. We had temps in the 50's and 60's this past week. Although it is too early to plant at least what I am the weather is starting to look promising. Just hope it stays that way :roll:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

We are at 6" of snow and it is still falling!
Our usual for the entire winter is 6" and for only 2-3 days! We had 6 weeks of it, and below freezing all that time!
This feels like the ice age... cold summer, and colder winter.
My house is energy efficient, but still the heating is so prolonged!
I am still glad that my cabbage, broccoli, and stuff are peacefully in the other mobile, still a bit cool, but not iced over!
I only planted seeds or bulbs outside.
It honestly feels like we have moved 1,000 miles north of our usual weather! Okay only 500, I lived in North Dakota and it isn't that bad, no blizzards, at least!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

We probably got 10" last night. The weather forcaster was predicting a "dusting" of snow. It is melting pretty fast and will probably be gone later today. We have 72 degrees F forcast for Tuesday. It changes fast. I may still get my garden planted this week.

Ted

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Our outrage at all this snow may seem odd to our more northern posters. But, we are simply not set up for this kind of cool summers, and cold snowy winters. It will completely change our way of life if it continues. You expect a big change if you move, but not when you haven't moved!

Just for perspective here, I don't own a snow shovel, just a normal one, I don't have a snow blower, skates, nor a snow mobile. Gee our kids don't even own sleds etc. We don't get enough snow normally for these items. And our vehicles do not have block heaters, nor places to plug them in. We are not set up for this. We don't have the road crews to clear our highways!

On another forum, our Canadian friends keep talking about the mildest winter they ever had. Hmm? What is going on here? Is winter weather being rationed and we all have to accept our fair share? What is a mild winter for them, is a nightmare for us! Wonder if they will get their fair share of the heat and humidity that we are geared up for? Then we will say, the coolest summer ever, and they will be the ones going... it is so hot, and we are simply not set up for this heat! ha ha

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Never fear Ted in a month or so we will be complaining on how hot it is and everythign is drying out too fast.

Chris_in_Wine_Country

I'm enjoying this brief window of nice weather because I know that not too long in to the future, it's going to get far too hot for my taste.

Right now we're having mostly sunny days and ~70ish highs.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”