Decado
Green Thumb

Can Nematodes Be Seen With The Eye?

Because I think I just saw a nematode, it was an extremely tiny translucent worm like thing. If it is a nematode I saw, is it possible it got into the indoor pots soil through compost tea? If so that's pretty awesome, I'll be getting my soil built up much faster. I used worm castings, a handful of this organic potting soil, molasses and kelp meal, could any of these things have nematodes in them?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

It seems that it is possible:

Nematodes are slender, worm-like animals, typically less than 2.5 millimetres (0.10 in) long. The smallest nematodes are microscopic, while free-living species can reach as much as 5 centimetres (2.0 in) and some parasitic species are larger still. The body is often ornamented with ridges, rings, warts, bristles or other distinctive structures.

The above was from Wikki. And the accompanying photos they were clear looking.

Now the question would be... good nematode or bad guy?

applestar
Mod

I believe the bigger ones are predators and will eat the bad ones.
Also check out [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=77380]this thread on horsehair worms[/url].

Decado
Green Thumb

Well that's interesting, could they have been in the potting soil or worm castings?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Decado wrote:Well that's interesting, could they have been in the potting soil or worm castings?
If it's store-bought potting soil, I kind of doubt it. Most of the store-bought stuff is sterilized. Now, it definitely could have been in the castings.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”