Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Okay, I can calm down... whew!

He must have meant enough trays to start 300 plants. It was about 30 trays, not 300!

Cool, still alot to add to my home starting... but not a commercial, huge scary thing!

Whew!

I do still get cabinets, lights and greenhouse, but it is more do-able for a rookie now!

I already had 30 trays plus last years re-runs, so not a huge increase. I will still be busy, but not insane...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You were scaring me, OL... :lol:

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Now you are in the range of what I do, I have 17 trays planted already (plus most of another trays worth that was planted and is now in the ground, freeing up the pots for re use) and plenty more to come. Still haven't even started the squash and warm weather stuff. I will be pretty close to 30 trays before I'm done.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck OL I'm getting up there with RBG as well. I have so much going right now. there is stuff stacked on top of other stuff so they can all get light. Than there are the other bigger pots and plants scattered about the house. I think my wife is waiting for spring more than me so we can get all my plants out of the house. :lol:

Did you say you have a greenhouse OL? If not that would be a wonderful thing growing that much.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

No greenhouse, but, my hubby says that a hoop house is going up this weekend, and cold frames are going in before fall to extend the season.

I got him onboard! yeah!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Money talks, eh, OL?

Nice work...

HG

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Yes, and it helps that the loggers are here this week... getting the trees that are really big, out of my future garden. And the loggers agree the soil is great there, and it is nice and flat... Yeah.. no erosion issues, well, less than on my hillside.

I am going to get paid to get rid of a problem, that was too big for us to tackle, much better than paying someone to remove them.

They have already taken out two complete loads of logs, just from my future garden! What a mess it is at this moment.

But, to remove the trees it would be a mess, no matter who did it.
At least, I only have the small ones, tops, roots etc to deal with!
And will be getting a check, Thursday.

Yes, money talks and turns things around!

Oh and the loggers said they can wench the tree that is over my barn, and miss the barn! Yeah, the barn will survive!

Now for the Black Walnut that is in my present garden! :evil: It has to Go!

So, clear my garden, get firewood for next year, and make some money... why not get a hoop house?

On a roll! Now if Gixx would haul me some of that compost... :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Your getting paid, come on up and get some. They deliver, it's really great stuff. Of course I could deliver but my truck get bad gas mileage.:cry:

How many trees are you getting rid of? And who's gonna sequester all that carbon now? :cry:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Gixx is worried about carbon sequestration? How about [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22161&highlight=till]your decision to continue tilling[/url]?

[url=https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11951725]Tilling is a huge carbon release[/url]. So if we can get OL to go organic no till, she will be sequestering a huge amount of carbon. We ALL can...

HG

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I am already organic, and don't own a tiller or use one.

I had to look up the carbon thing, and still not sure what we are discussing.

Let's get into perspective here:
I have 20 acres, 18 of it is so wooded, that the trees are not really able to grow that well. The areas that we have already cleared to make pasture, and grow grass, have doubled the tree girths, and new baby trees are always growing.

There is so many trees down, that if a fire ever hit, it would go up like a tinder box! We simply have to:
A. Get the dead and dying timbers out of there.
B. Clear up the undergrowth, that too would feed fires.
C. Clear enough to give the trees enough room to grow.
(It is like when you overcrowd your garden... nothing does well)
D. We plan to totally clear an area of about 100'x200', and use this area as a garden... a year-round garden. Now the area that will have the huge, only the huge trees removed is 200x1200' long, and it will still have trees that are smaller in girth than 12" diameters. With the big ones gone, not shading the smaller ones, they will grow like crazy! If you thin a pot of seedlings, are you decreasing their oxygen making? No, because the survivor will quickly make up the difference... Same thing, just bigger plants.
E. When this is done, and we get the brush all cut up and removed, it will be kind of like a city park, not a bare thing... only the garden will be opened up to get sunshine. We have had neighbors who dozed everything, and scarred the land badly, and erosion was horrible... This is not what we are doing. We are opening it up to light, and room to grow!
And making money at the same time.

Gixx if you put your arms out straight and walk, you cannot walk through these trees... you would hit other trees! The trees will now be spaced so that some sunlight will be able to get through the canopy to the next generation of trees, and not keep smothering them out.

It is harvest, to let the small, and standing ones grow.
I am happy we aren't having to pay someone to do it...
And we are not having to rent a dozer and just pile them up!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Gixx is worried about carbon sequestration? How about [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22161&highlight=till]your decision to continue tilling[/url]?

[url=https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11951725]Tilling is a huge carbon release[/url]. So if we can get OL to go organic no till, she will be sequestering a huge amount of carbon. We ALL can...

HG
From that thread
redid my bed yesterday some of you will be happy to know I didn't till it.
I did rake it up a bit to break up the horse cookies and mix in that layer with the grass and leave layer. Than I added a bunch of compost than mixed it together a bit than added another layer of compost on top of that. Now for some tea making I save a pile of compost just for that.
However I did till up a new bed but that will be it. So give and take it seems. :P

So I guess next you will tell I am wrong for raking it right?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I"m sorry OL I didn't mean to be rude. I figured there was a good reason. I was out of context and I apologize to you OL. :cry: :oops:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I didn't take it that you were rude. I don't understand the carbon reference, over my head there. I do understand that plants help our environment, and my trees are a needed resource.

But, I just thought that I hadn't explained myself. There is a huge difference in thinning a forest and in scalping one. You didn't know, what I was referring to. I hope that I didn't sound angry, because I wasn't.

I searched for photos of the rain forest, that I have. It is so overcrowded, over grown.. messy. It really, truly needs this.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Leaving those roots in the ground and simply building beds over them leaves the most carbon intense part of the tree, the roots in the soil. If we go no till in these new beds, the carbon in the soil stays in the soil. If you look at the article I attached, you quickly see that tilling is the big carbon release in soil, not lack of trees. And trees, while being higher in carbon than people or veg, are not all the same. Deciduous leaves are nearly the same C:N as people in some cases (softwoods), twigs are a little more carbon, branchwood some more, logs higher yet, and roots being the most carboniferous.

Leaving roots to rot in the ground adds humus, which is carbon in the soil. Till and you lose it as it gasses off CO2 from increased biological exhalations, and ammonia from decomposing fungii (that you killed with the tilling) is dumping off nitrogen. SO if we are most interested in keeping carbon (and nitrogen) and I think we are, cutting a few trees isn't as big a deal as tilling...

HG

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I would say, till the soil, if that method fits best with one's comfort level. Get the soil loose and ready as a bed. Then shift to a no till or minimal till plan. IMO there are lots of tools available to the gardener and there is nothing inherently evil with any of them. The tools should be used in a balanced sort of way, with the harsher ones being used more sparingly and the more friendly tools taking the dominant role.

There is no compelling reason, in my mind, to make a new gardener feel guilty for tilling a fresh patch of ground. Explaining the benefits of no till is a service. Presenting the information in such a way that implies totally superiority IMO is counter productive. A gardener needs to educate himself/herself and then incorporate what is learned into his/her individual style. Hopefully that style evolves over time, and the sense of making more earth friendly choices, becomes the most obvious direction.

Each gardener's site and plant selections, as well as the gardener himself/herself, create a unique situation. A blend of various techniques, some more earth friendly, some less so, will best match the needs of the individual and the needs of the land. Any somewhat balanced approach to vegetable gardening will most certainly be far superior to the alternative, buying all produce from normal retail sources. After all, those crops were generally grown using all of the worst methods for production, with almost no sustainable component. Anyway, I think that it is very important to educate and encourage, without seeming to criticize the methods of fellow gardeners.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thank you for that reasoned post Alex. I agree...

I also think that there is little reason to guilt those who would cut down some trees in a responsible fashion to create a garden area, especially if no other recourse is available to them. I brought up the tilling issue not to particularly lambast Gixx or decry tilling entirely (although my new bed this year will completely no-till), but to demonstrate how we can bring ideas and memes to gardening or conservation that we are sure are good ideas, even necessary, but in reality they are neither. And in the contrary view, some things that seem onerous or ill advised can be beneficial.

So if Gixx tills once and starts putting things back to right from there, it is not a big deal and may be beneficial, but I can make an argument about how harmful it is, and I am correct to a point. Much the same argument can be made for OL's tree cutting, but it depends on how she handles things afterward just as much or more than any initial damage done.

Gixx's concern is not completely misplaced, but I wanted to make the point about our assumptions not always being as clear cut as they seem. I can see my devil's advocate position has touched a number of nerves; if it engenders further thought about your garden practices then I consider it successful. Before you judge others gardening practices, look first to the log in your own eye....

HG

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/kkkkk007.jpg[/img] Thom-san

:o [img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aba031.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aba032.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aba035.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aba036.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aba034.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/aba033.jpg[/img]

Side Note: Last night I went through my spices in search of any I had for making tea. Instead I sorted all the spices into what could possibly grow in my nursery.
Red Pepper,White/Black Peppercorn,Black Sesame Seed, Coriander Seed, Poppy Seed,Flack Seed, Fennel Seed, Fenugreek, Green Cardamon,Yellow Mustard Seed, Whole Cloves, Capers.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

What a neat idea!

I went through my dried peas and beans and got some out to try to grow.. just out of curiosity, but I didn't even think of all the whole spices!

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

When I go to the store I see the spice isle differantly now. Its cheap seeds. bird seeds too you can get tons of sunflowers for super cheap or any plants birds eat the seeds from you can grow yourself

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Do the sunflower trick myself sage 8)

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A month later, all the snow and icicles are gone and here's how the seed starting operation is looking now:

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/seedlings3-16.jpg[/img]

If you compare the top right shelf to previous pictures, you will see that a couple of 2' lights have been replaced by 2 more 4' shop lights. When I first built this it was one 6' shelf. Then I added the second shelf. Then I decided it could be 8' long, added one more base cabinet and a longer counter top. This year I turned the second shelf from 6' to 8'. Now it is DONE! NO MORE!

So this is 8 trays on the bottom and 7 on top, so it is nearly full and yet lots more plants to come.... :? The two trays on the blue heat pads are still full of teeny babies that haven't been potted up yet.

And I have 3 trays of stuff sitting on my deck hardening off and two more trays (cabbages and broccoli) planted in the ground and the excess sold off... The next month gets pretty crazy, but once a lot more things can go in the ground it calms down again.

Here's a couple close ups:

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/coleus3-16.jpg[/img]

coleus (woman does not live by veggies alone! :))

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/green_pepper3-16.jpg[/img]

green pepper

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That's a gnarly great coleus leaf; a Kong cultivar perhaps?

HG

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Beautiful plants.
I, myself, am wondering, where is the line... when do you know that enough is simply enough?
I bet you add more area, next year!
I am so jealous of your peppers, but hey, at least mine are germinating. In the same cup, I have some that are fairly tall, some just lifting the seeds up, and a few with just the root starting!
Oh my, I just spotted a pepper that is starting a leaf, that was not there earlier.
Uh, did I mention my shelf is right beside the computer so I look at them as I type?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

HG Don't know, re the coleus. It's a seed mix Jung seeds puts out called Exhibition mix. The seedlings come out with all different variegations including some that are just a pure deep wine color with no spots.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking very good Rainbow. I though I had an overload but have gone plum crazy. I love it. :lol:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

These little guys are going uppotting today, and separating. They just really shifted into high gear!

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/000_0039.jpg[/img]

And this shows how very tiny tobacco seedlings are:

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/000_0031.jpg[/img]
Even the tobacco has to be uppotted very soon, as tiny as they are, it is difficult to get those little guys.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lessons learned so far this year:

Yes, there is such a thing as too much cinnamon. Took me a little while to figure it out. My basil started getting some whitish patches on its leaves. Only after it kept developing and the leaves were curling a bit, did I realize, it looks burned... in fact it looks like last year when the leaves got a burned by having cinnamon sprinkled directly on them. Apparently, they can get "burned" from the inside as well. This year the cinnamon is only in the water and the water is only in the tray, not on the leaves.

Basil is apparently sensitive to the cinnamon, because it is only the basil and the green basil more than the red. But I backed off on the cinnamon (didn't take the old stuff out of the pitcher, just quit adding any new) and the basil is doing better. No fungus gnats have appeared to date, so apparently I was just over doing it a bit.

Other lessons: Tomatoes do NOT do well with just window light! My set up was getting crowded, so I moved the tomatoes in front of a window with a 5 lamp gooseneck lamp on them. Even with the lamp, they immediately went leggy, shot up inches over night. Not a good thing. I wasn't on top of it, took some days to figure out what to up pot them into. I ended up using 16 oz drink cups. Burying them deeper in the cups helped, but one of them got broken in the process and they are still a little top heavy and tending to lean over. I think I can bring them out for some sun today and that will help. When they go in the ground, they can get buried deeper again and should be ok. But I should have left the tomatoes where they were and put the impatiens, and other stuff in front of the window!

Spring comes fast... I'm already feeling behind the 8 ball in getting things out and hardening off. I never got my mini-greenhouse made. (Went to look for my shelving unit, and discovered that when we had some work done last fall, our handyman friend had helpfully hung it inside the garden shed, very securely screwed to the vertical posts!). Now I'm debating whether I even still need it. But all the stuff indoors has missed out on a lot of nice sunny days.... Be prepared!

applestar
Mod

I hear ya! :wink:
Spring comes fast... I'm already feeling behind the 8 ball in getting things out and hardening off.

I'm feeling that too. But you know what? Thanks to you and others on the forum, I started earlier than last year, and have been *planning* to DO things two weeks earlier, with the result that 1 week slippage is basically putting me in the realistically (weatherwise) better time slot. 8)
But I should have left the tomatoes where they were and put the impatiens, and other stuff in front of the window!
Now *this* is interesting. Right! Impatiens are shade loving plants. :idea: A point to remember when growing our seedlings as well when arranging them under the lights and finding spare locations when realestate under the lights become scarece.

I *have* noted that a lot of fruit tree seedlings seem to do OK just in the window sill (SSE exposure) and had speculated that they typically grow in the shade of the mother tree....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good to know on the cinnamon, I'm sorry that the info came at the expense of you. I haven't been using the cinnamon but I have been putting chamomile tea in my watering containers. The gnat I had are slowly dwindling not too many any more.

I wouldn't worry too much about being behind we are probably way ahead of most people. :lol: There is a lot to do that is for sure, I have been trying to finish getting my beds ready and a rabbit fence up for some time that is done now. Still A lot to do build trellis, hang bird houses, get tomato cages cut etc. I have been planting about that time to start bringing my maters out for some sun as well.

It will all fall into place though never fear, heck it's not even April yet.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not a major expense, the basil are just blemished, not killed. It was good learning though. Just figuring all this stuff out as we go along. This is the first year I did the cinnamon/chamomile water, had no idea how much was enough/ too much.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm on the downhill side of the indoor seed starting! Yesterday I planted zucchini and delicata squash seeds. Nothing else will get planted indoors now! Today I washed, dried and put away 20 of the blocks of 9 little seed starting cells. Even when the squash sprout, they are so fast growing they can go directly into pots (as opposed to being spread out 1/ cell first). So everything is getting potted up now and as the cells get emptied, I'm done with them.

Moving more stuff out... I've got 5 trays of plants on the deck, 3 more waiting to go out when it warms up a little more today, 3 trays in front of living room window, stuff planted already, stuff I've sold off already, and still there's about 300 plants under the lights!

Every year I say this year I'm going plant fewer seeds and some how it never quite works out that way.

applestar
Mod

Wish I could say the same -- it's officially 35ºF outside right now... :( Maybe a little warmer in the sun... maybe.

I have tomatoes to uppot and no room under the lights. I've rigged a clamp on light and a small space on the bench next to the Contender and the peps. But the sw pepper seedlings are starting with their true leaves! :shock: Cotton and tropical milkweed seedlings are jostling for space in my small indoor Grow Light Area. :roll:

It's going to be close. I've set up the 3 WOW wannabes (2 I realized, are UNDER the Contender and the peps, protecting the window bench, and 1 is lost somewhere :roll:) and "will 6 tomato cage and water-filled 2L bottles covered with plastic work?" spots to warm up the soil. I'll go get more WOWs for the actual planting and, hopefully, some of the toms can be moved out. But I have to remember last year's April Fool barely survived.... (but he wasn't protected in WOW)

I spotted an old shoplight fixture stored away in the back of the garden shed. I may have to dig my way back there to unearth it and hang it up somewhere.... :roll:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I am about a month ahead of schedule. I wanted to try starting some things alot early, and have larger plants at planting time.

But, I still find that I am stressing, to get them ALL started. And I just plain don't have the room for ALL of them. And I am not even attempting things like squash, melons, cukes, or others that can direct sown.

Every direction that I look, something needs uppotting. And, gee even with uppotting, before I get the first transplant done on everything, some are wanting a second pot! Tiny little plants, with roots hanging out the bottoms!

And that being said, I am going outside to find a good location for a homemade greenhouse. The unheated mobile just isn't doing what I hoped. First, I am having difficulty finding T-12 light fixtures. Seems that locally they are all switching to T-8 which is smaller and the bulbs are high dollar in comparison. For the price of these, I can easily make a sheltered location outside and use direct sunlight.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Downhill is good RBG I'm in the same boat. BUT..... I keep putting more tranplants out yet I still don't have room, everything that is still there keeps growing in pot size so it is a vicouis circle. So what do I do start more seeds, ahh the circle continues but is getting larger. :lol:

A few more weeks and it will be all good. I may even pull an Apple and get some tom's out there early, just to save room. I pulled a cluster of flowers, one bloomed, off of a tom yesterday. this morning I noticed about half of my tomatoes have flower clusters. Let's go warm weather.

mtmickey

Wow, this thread has answered so many questions for me and given me some fabulous ideas. I started flower seeds last week and today started veggies. I realize I am way behind all of you, but a month ahead of myself compared to last year. I really wish I had a greenhouse, but think I can do some similar setups to what I see here. Thanks for the pics and info. :lol:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Hi mtmickey,
Welcome to the forum.

Hey, they do come up with cool ideas don't they. I learn so much here.

I was searching for some 6mil plastic today, and drats, ended up in the plant area... okay I was good only 1 african violet, 1 begonia, 2 cactuses, and 2 azaleas came home with me. And I got my plastic, chicken wire, and pvc.. I was good.

I did buy a soil test kit, and will have a great time playing mad scientist with it.

As I was walking through, I froze and I stared, and my brain (yes it is there, I wasn't quite in the garden department yet, so it was still somewhat lucid) did a flip. They had a tiny greenhouse. I mean it looked like small metal shelving, just wrapped in plastic and a top on it that reminded me of the old wardrobe bags for closets.

Well, my goodness, that isn't much protection, and it would heat up by day, and chill by night. But, it really got me to thinking.

We are making this whole cold frame, hoop house, greenhouse thing too difficult! I looked at it and circled it, (stalling to not go see the plants) and really looked at it. If it had wheels on it, you could wheel it out by day and in by night! I use my garden cart for hardening off plants, I park it in the shade, then I wheel it out for some sun, and back to the shade.

But this one has shelves! You could exchange the plastic for shading cloth and start fall seedlings. I was in love. Not with it, but with all the many ideas I got from looking at it. It was a Wow moment.

Every day in this forum is a Wow moment for me, and I thank you all for making my days have WOW!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ozark Lady - Did you miss this, I posted in the race for june tomatoes thread:

I have homemade variety. Just take a metal 5 shelf unit, wrap it all in heavy plastic, duct taped to the verticals. The front sheet I slit vertically and put velcro all down the length of it, so it can be easily opened and closed. Then for daytime you can open it a little bit at the bottom and a little bit at the top for some airflow, or open it all up if it's going to be warm. Lot cheaper than the catalog ones and I only have to redo the plastic every few years (outdoor critters tend to scratch/chew it up and eventually the duct tape dries out, etc) I set it up on the deck which is morning and early afternoon sun. Bungee cord it to the deck railings, because otherwise it gets top heavy and the wind blows against the plastic like a sail and it goes over -- learned that lesson the hard way!

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21904&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=shelving&start=75

Actually most years I do. This year I got slowed down putting it back together and spring got ahead of me; it warmed up so fast. So I may end up doing with out it. But it is not difficult to do a make your own version (with that 6 mil plastic you just bought :) ).

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I didn't miss it.

I just didn't expect to see such a tiny greenhouse at the store.

I know we make do with what is at hand, but selling tiny ones at the store?

wolfie

what kind of plastic lets the sun in but protects it in the night?

is that the same plastic to use for the pvc pipe tunnel things?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

How do we answer that? All plastic, no plastic?

Black plastic will allow heat in, but not light.

Clear plastic will allow heat and light in.

They will all be a wind barrier, but none will be totally efficient at keeping them warm at night. They just slow the exchange of the warm air with the cool air. And this is where our guessing game with cloches go... how much will it slow the cooling? If enough, the plants survive, if not.. they die.

I got 6mil plastic because it is stronger and will stand up to the elements for a much longer time than would a lesser mil. The lesser mil would probably let alot more light in.

Once built the 6 mil might help about 5 degrees at night? But, it will heat by day. The reason for mass is to save that heat, store it up for later that night as you need it. So, you want to slow the exchange with the plastic.

Notice in cities, lots of mass with the cement etc. And the plants bloom alot earlier. But, it is also alot hotter in the summer time.

You can lay black plastic as a weed barrier and to warm the ground, use that mass. Then, make a clear tunnel, to channel and accumulate the heat to transfer to the mass, that is the soil. It will warm up faster, but at night it will lose heat, how much is the $64.00 question, and guessing is all we can do. Not rocket science!

I hope that is clear as mud! Oops! Okay, did it help any?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”