gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

who use peat pots for starters? I have mold on mine!!!

The other morning I notice most if not all of my peat pot starters had mold on the outside of them. I sprayed them with milk\water and stopped watering them. It has since seemed to go away for the most part.

Any one else have this problem. I have more than likely been watering them to much. I do use a little baby watering jug that is for kids in the pool or something. It only makes sense, little plants-little watering jug. :lol:

Sorry I had to show this, every time I use it I think 'the perfect watering can for my babies'.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02691.jpg[/img]

crobi13

I got mold on a set of seeds that were growing in an egg carton back in the spring. I tossed the whole thing because I didn't know what else to do & was too afraid of making my family sick.

emerald7
Cool Member

Yeah, I am having this problem too. The thing that I didn't think about until later is that fungus (mushrooms, etc.) loves to grow on wet wood. And a lot of the peat pots contain both wood and peat. So basically you are creating an ideal environment for fungus to grow (warm, moist, wet wood), especially if the soil is acidic.

I am considering doing away with peat pots all together... it seems like too much work. Plastic might be better to avoid mold

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have seen this too, but I can't say that it is deliterious to you or your plants. I just ignored it. The plants did fine and no one got sick. Unless someone in your family is highly alergic to mold, I would not worry.

Molds, bacteria, and fungi are found in all soils. Yes, even artificial planting mediums. Don't worry about these things, they are naturally occuring and part of the plan.

We sometimes hear of people getting sick from mold exposure, but upon investigation I have found it is usually a very serious and large scale problem where the mold is growing in the house on nearly everything, because of high humidity conditions. The people have been exposed to lots of mold spores for long term. Yes, it is no wonder thay have problems.

I don't think the little bit we see on a few peat pots is going to be any problem. IMO

RyanDe680
Cool Member

I'm with Jal on this one.

I had a few sticks (wooden) with mold forming on them. I simply just removed it. The seeds were sown and covered to keep the humidity up, thus forming the mold. I didn't think it was too big of a deal as the peppers that were in the flat began to sprout this weekend.

If humidity is a problem, consider a small fan to aid in circulation.

mrsgreenthumbs

I'm a text book over waterer with seedlings. I think it's because I can't wait for them to grow so I force feed them water. MAybe make things move along faster... IDK why I do it maybe I'm just mother hening it a bit too much. What ever the reason I have sworn off egg cartons for ever. Egg cartons for some reason all way's go white and fuzzy just before or just as my seeds begin to break ground. I had the same problem with my peat pot's this time round but not nearly as bad

[img]https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c388/queenofdabbws/007.jpg[/img]

And closer

[img]https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c388/queenofdabbws/007-1.jpg[/img]

This is after about 3 day's of drying out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I just posted this about peat pots in the seed starting thread, but here it is again:

Those are peat pots in the picture? Is everything in them? Peat pots are notorious seedling killers. When the soil is wet, they hold the water in and keep everything too wet. If the peat finally starts to dry out, then it wicks all the water away from the soil and makes it too dry. And despite what they say, they are NOT biodegradable (in any reasonable amount of time). Never plant anything in the ground still in the peat pot. In the future, plastic works much better and can be reused, year after year.

They do tend to get moldy from staying wet all the time. I don't know that the mold per se is harmful, but it is an indication that your soil is staying too wet, which IS bad for the plants, leading to root rot, damping off, and other fungal conditions.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

First off thanks for resurrecting my first failure at seed starting. :P (just kidding now :lol: )

I will not use peat pots anymore, though they may not have been the only problem. I'm also not going to use humidity domes anymore though my real seed starting has gone fairly well. (That was just practice for big game)

I am going to use plastic from here on out, and greenthumbs I am using some egg cartons now with no problems.

If you do get the mold that is not good. But you can get around it with reduced humidity. Use fans or a fungicide while you water. My plants downstairs don't get the fan too much. But I have a heater vent with diffuser pointed at them so they get plenty of warm air circulation. I had some mold throughout this growing trial and have overcome ti all with 0 losses. So don't freak out like did a month or so ago or when I first made this post. It's not as bad as it seems with a little care it's all good.

I'm not expert but next year things will be smooth as a baby's but.

Keep tuned, keep learning, keep growing.

joshbuchan

I found some peat pots last year when I gutted the 2 green houses and as rainbowgardener said they are seedlin killers, they keep everything to wet, purfect for mold as u are suffering from, then if to dry the peat pot just sucks all the water out of the soil. I just tossed them into the garden as I fort they will biodegrade but just the other day I was digging up the garden and I dug up lots of bits of the peat pot... they should be gone by next year but still gease! little seedlins are mento get there roots throught this!

if u want to go down the path then make pots of newpaper or u can just use plastic like I do, then u can use them every year without any problems and knowing u dnt need to buy more.

mrsgreenthumbs

Yah I agree, I think next time I start seedlings I'll go right ahead and use all those old 6 pack trays I keep from past purchases. They have to be better than these peat pot's. And to think I wasted 3 bucks on that pack of these mold makers! :evil:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

mrsgreenthumbs wrote:Yah I agree, I think next time I start seedlings I'll go right ahead and use all those old 6 pack trays I keep from past purchases. They have to be better than these peat pot's. And to think I wasted 3 bucks on that pack of these mold makers! :evil:
That is exactly what I think should be done. Recycle/reuse your containers that you buy stuff in.

applestar
Mod

I thought about posting this here but decided to start a new thread intead:
[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22433&highlight=]Tips on Gardening Forum : Recycled containers for seed starting and uppotting[/url]

joshbuchan

over the winter I save loorolls, then when I comes time to plant all them, broad beans, runners peas, suger snaps ect I plant them in them, just fill up with soil plot them in, then put them in a tray. just stick them in the ground and the carbord will be gone by next year.

also could use yoget pots, theres loads of things u could use.

toxicburn1

almost everything I have planted in peat pots is dead or dying... trying to save whatever left and take it all back to the nursery that I have bought it from. Really want to throw it into a managers face....but, might be next time :)

tedln
Super Green Thumb

joshbuchan wrote:over the winter I save loorolls, then when I comes time to plant all them, broad beans, runners peas, suger snaps ect I plant them in them, just fill up with soil plot them in, then put them in a tray. just stick them in the ground and the carbord will be gone by next year.

also could use yoget pots, theres loads of things u could use.
(for the other Yanks on this forum, a "looroll" is a toilet tissue roll. Josh, do you cut the rolls in half making two containers?

I learned my lesson last year about the peat pots. I bought a few late season tomato plants at Home Depot in peat ports. I planted them in the pots. The plant roots seemed to have a really hard time pushing the roots through the peat pots. I didn't dig one up to see, but I believe they almost became root bound before they were able to break through the pots.

Ted

Tryst A.
Newly Registered

Peat pot plants do ok planted out IF you soak the pots with a little h2o just b4 planting, then cut aprox. 4 slits all around pot just before putting in ground, it gives the roots openings to push through which eventually desimates the peat pot, and whala! no root bound isseus :wink:

imafan26
Mod

I have to say, I haven't had much luck with the jiffy peat pellets. It always seemed to be too wet. I did use the jiffy pots, they did ok as long as they were not over watered but they deformed and crumbled easily and dried out fast. I now use plastic pots and recycled pots. They are a lot less costly and less trouble in the long run.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I use those little clear tapered plastic cups about 3 inches tall. Punch a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage. For soil, regular potting mix. When planting, just dump the root ball out into your hand and place it in the hole. The cup can be saved and reused.

feldon30

The problem with peat pots is, they compete with your seedlings for moisture, they stay damp, they mold, and when planted, they don't break down and let roots through as-advertised.

I know peat pots are supposed to be eco-friendly and all that, but I use plastic seed starting trays and plastic 4" pots and reuse them year-to-year by spraying with a 10% bleach solution. I haven't thrown away a single plastic tray or pot in 5 years.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I gave up on peat pots and now use plastic drinking cups, the ones that are about 3 inches tall and about that wide too. Punch a couple holes in the bottom, fill with planting medium and plant. When time to put the starts in the garden, just dump the contents out of the cup. The cups can be saved and re-used.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I hate peat pots and do not use them. I get 4" nursery pots FREE from big box garden centers and local nurseries. If you want smaller starter pots you can get 6 packs free. Don't forget trays. Also free. Just wash before using.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”