gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Anyone use "American Seeds" !:::UPDATE:::!

Just got back from Wally World and wouldn't you know I took a side trip through the garden area and came home with some more seeds.

They are "American Seeds" (Brand seeds) they were only $0.20 how could I resisit. :lol: Just wondering if they are good or what that's dang cheap.

I got :

Radish - Crimson Giant
Nasturtium - Dwarf Alaska Mixed Colors
Beans - Kentucky Wonder Pole
Beans - Cherokee Wax (Yellow Bush)

I did notice today I didn't have any bean seeds, I thought I had some. These are just whatever seeds though if I have room I will Plant them. Oh who am I kidding I will find room and hope for the best. :P
Last edited by gixxerific on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I planted some of these seeds last year. The spinach-mustard, radishes (two kinds), and beets all grew extremely well. I plated some peppers of theirs indoors, but they did not do good. I can't really attribute this to the brand, though, as I really did not give the seedlings the most appropriate care.

I plan on buying them again, this year (going to try the Kentucky pole beans). For the price ($.20), you can't beet them.

Good luck with them.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good to hear and like you said for $.20 if one seed pops it's worth it.

Cornfed
Newly Registered

I bought a bunch of these seeds last year along with my normal seeds, and had great success with them. I bought everything from Tomatoes, Peppers, Radishes, Cauliflower, Eggplants, and a bunch of different flowers. All the veggies I started indoors did great and the flowers I just planted the seed right into the garden and they did great also. I think the only thing that did not do well was the Dill go figure. They go fast once the put them out so you have to keep a eye out for them.

Good luck,
Cornfed

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks a lot, now I have to go back and get more.

$.20

I might have to plant some stuff in the neighbors yard. :lol:

By the way I went on their site and they are more like regular seed prices, I was thinking maybe the packets I got contain less seeds than normal. Oh well it doesn't matter I love to experiment so......... it's seeding time at the Gixx household.

applestar
Mod

Are they stamped "Packed for 2010?" That would be the first thing I'd check. If packed for 2009, then expect some degradation in germination rate. Sometimes, though, they just have surplus/overstock.

But really, I collected Okra seeds from 1 pod last fall and I have more seeds than I know what to do with! Once I figure out my favorites, I'm definitely just going to keep saving my own seeds. I'm realizing the tough part is that, with some vegetables, you can't grow different varieties at the same time unless you can situate them far apart.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes they are packed for Jan 2010 I was writing in the above post if maybe they were old then I looked at the seed and removed that text.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Thanks a lot, now I have to go back and get more. ...
Let's face it, you are an addict! (not that I have any room to talk) :lol: But seriously, at this price - well worth a try! You can always do a small germination test of 5-10 seeds to see how well they would do...

Regards,
D

cottonpicker

American Seeds ----- yes, I've grown them with success. NO problems.
As a matter of fact, they hold a special place in my memory from childhood when I was about 8 or 9 years old in the late 1940s. I responded to a magazine ad for AMERICAN SEEDS and ordered a group of seeds which I sold door to door. I sold enough to get a movie projector with a one-reel Tom Mix film. Still have that little projector!
LarryD

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DV you got me pegged there. I went back today and picked up 12 more bags of composted manure for super cheap and 8 more packets of seeds. Now you understand why I'm running out of room. Though I'm working it out slowly but surely.

I know I will plant lettuces all over the yard not just in the garden, it's gonna be a crazy year. Pray for nice weather.

I did plant a bunch of radishes today for a test run also to see If I can grow them indoors to fruition.

Cottonpicker nice story good to have memories like that.

One more thing it does say on the packet they have been around since 1897 so that's gotta say something right there.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

alright just one more thing the packets are just short that's all. there are 28.34 grams in an ounce there are 2 ounces in the bean packet on their site which goes for $1.60 the packet I have has 6 grams. So not bad for the small time gardener.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

cottonpicker wrote:American Seeds ----- yes, I've grown them with success. NO problems.
As a matter of fact, they hold a special place in my memory from childhood when I was about 8 or 9 years old in the late 1940s. I responded to a magazine ad for AMERICAN SEEDS and ordered a group of seeds which I sold door to door. I sold enough to get a movie projector with a one-reel Tom Mix film. Still have that little projector!
LarryD
Hey cottonpicker, Your post brings back lots of memories. I was also a kid in the forties and seem to remember a lot of things advertised on the back of comic books and maybe bubble gum wrappers advertising stuff kids could order in quantity and then make money selling door to door. I don't remember much of the stuff advertised, but I seem to remember a newspaper named "Grit" that kids could sell. I'm just curious if anyone remembers any of that stuff.

Ted

vermontkingdom

Ah yes, I too fondly remember the "Grit" magazine. Our family was huge (18 kids) and the money I made by selling it (10 cents) was extremely important to me.

As for "American Seeds", it's hard to beat that price. However, have you checked to see where the seeds are coming from? It's amazing to me that most seed packages from big companies originate in China, Central America, etc. My goodness, we can't even produce our own garden seed in this country anymore.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

VermontKingdom got me thinking so I did a little searching and found the "American seed" is not that same as "American Seed Company". In fact on the [url=https://www.americanseedco.com/mp_includes/body.asp]American Seed Company[/url] they have a disclaimer at the top of the page saying they are affiliated with "American Seed" in any way, whatever that may mean. That is a little fishy in it's own right.

When I first looked up the seeds I was taken to the ASCompany site and didn't think nothing about it. :o
I also did more digging and found [url=https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1720/]this[/url] on Dave's Garden, seems there are quite a few unhappy customers, some noting that they received no seeds, wrong seeds, non germinating seeds, germinating seeds but not up to expectation and even possibly a packet of weed seeds. :o There is some positive feedback as well but.........

It seems that "American Seed" is a subsidiary of [url=https://www.plantationproducts.com/]Plantation Products[/url] who also go under the name "NK lawn and Garden" as well as "Fredonia Seeds".

That was the only negative thing I could find, so take it how you will and be careful.

Just thought you should all know this.

Dono

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, Gix, you really did some digging (yes, the pun is intended)!

One thing to bear in mind with reviews: An unhappy person tells ten others, a happy one tells three. This is probably off by a few people, but you get the idea.

It is still always good to check for any issues, though.

Hey, did you go back and buy out the store yet :lol:?

Happy planting.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I know all about reviews and how bias they can be. I just wanted people to know mainly that it wasn't "American Seed Company"

But on the other hand I just checked the radish seed I planted late on 1/29 and there are already about 8 just getting ready to pop out of the soil. SO take that in mind as well (9:19 on 1/31 now so roughly 42 hours).

I'll take that I was worried before but not so much now buts still at 20 cents a pack I wouldn't be out much.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Stopped by the store this morning to get some window washer fluid...

Needless to say, got off track, and walked by the garden dept, you know, just to see. Well, they do have those $0.20 in stock now. Scraped all the change I had in the pockets (even found a dollar bill!)

Came home with some "gourmet lettuce mix" - some kind of micro greens looking packages (x4), and bunch of varieties of Zinnias, Cosmos, Nasturtiums, Marigolds, Morning Glory seeds followed me home too.

Thanks Dono, like I really needed anymore seeds! :roll: Well, annual flowers for the color, I guess I did need them, but can use the microgreens too! Beats paying $4.99 for a little bag at the supermarket :lol:

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah we are alike in that way, not being able to resist the urge. :lol: And your welcome, by the way the radishes I bought have germinated and are doing pretty good so far.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03282.jpg[/img]

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Cool beans! I mean radishes! :lol:

Looks like good germination rate on these, and now, I think I have to find another $1.00 and get some radishes for entire season :-()

Planted a pinch of microgreens last night, will see how they do... Generous portion in those packets of greens, and seems to be a good, even mix of varieties (judging by the seed shapes and colors)...

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck DV as far as the flower seed are you going to start inside or plant out when it warms up? That's a new one for me as well.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

I'm actually going to do both.

Last year - I started inside, in those Jiffy #7 pellets, 72pc tray - not going to do that, roots grow too fast in most of those I've listed, and become tangled way too quickly, was difficult to separate. Going to re-use the old, trusty 12 pellet mini green houses this time. And some will drop directly in the ground, will see the difference I guess?

Regards,
D

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Well, giving these $0.20 seeds a first trial this year:

Salad Mix "Italian Mixture" Looks great on the picture, healthy doze of seeds in the pack! Loaded 24" self watering window box with the some home made potting soil, seeds are in, covered in plastic and will see what they do! Will post results of the progress...

For now - still enjoying the "Cut And Cut Again" salad mix from Renee's Gardens (leftover from last year)...

Regards,
D

Zapatay

cottonpicker wrote:American Seeds ----- yes, I've grown them with success. NO problems.
LarryD
I love it!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I grew American Seeds about 10 years ago, with very good results.

So, I definitely bought a bunch of them.

I hadn't even seen this thread... Yesterday, I went to get seed starting soil.. and there they were... Just begging to come to my house...

I bought a total of 66 seed packets... like I don't have seed!
But, I did find some there, that I didn't have...
And I even found some on the $1.00 per package rack... Ferry/Morse... That is not a bad price either.

Online, I find variety, and lots of great seeds, but seldom at $1.00 per packet and then there is postage... no postage at Wally World.

I am still cheap and plan to save seeds!!!

Then I can use $$$ to buy other items...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good stuff huh OL .$20 you can't pass it up. I have had good luck with them so far. They are light as compared to there mail order packets but that's why they are cheaper. But when you come home with 60 packs you don't have to take out a second mortgage.

I really like the Ferry Morse too. About half of my seeds are Ferry Morse.

Oh yeah and don't get confused "American Seed" and American Seeds" are two different company's

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

60+ packs :shock: Oh my!!! Well, considering that one head of nice organic lettuce $3.00+, and a tiny bag of mixed organic greens is $5.00 - cost of your 60 packets is well on it's way to make something wonderful and yummy!

I did 20 more packs today - lettuce, more mixed greens, mustard greens, radishes, more annuals and per-annuals...

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have over 30 or so and have been thinking about going up there tomorrow to hit them up again. We are so bad.

Maybe we should make our own seed bombs for personal use, we have enough seed. :lol:

wolfie

you guys are going to make me take a trip to wally world tomorow!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

wolfie wrote:you guys are going to make me take a trip to wally world tomorow!
cool can I get a ride with you than? Oh did I mention the one by me has Black Kow composted manure for $.75. On second thought we'll take my truck.

wolfie

ok, pick me up then, I get home from work at 4!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I bought flowers from them and they all sprouted with ease, but peat pots and Texas heat killed everything so I can' comment on how well they grew. I'll give them another go, but as far as fruits and vegetables go, I'm gonna spend a little more one them so I can have heirlooms. But, wally world has USDA Organic Seeds from Ferry Morse for $2, and it's enough seeds for 2-3 years for me.

wolfie

ok Dono, I can't wait any longer for you to pick me up! I am packing my dog in the car and heading to Wally World. Gonna take him for a walk while we are out LOL
And will let ya'll know what I got when I get back!

wolfie

ok I'm back! I bought 32 packs WHEW! I couldn't find them at first and started to panic LOL had to ask the clerk where they were!

Here is the loot I got:

3 Sweet Banana Pepper
5 Marigold
2 Eggplant
2 autumn beauty Sunflower
2 lemon queen sunflower
2 sweet basil
1 grand rapids lettuce
2 iceberg lettuce
3 black seeded simpson lettuce
1 waltham butternut squash
3 detroit dark red beets
2 Hungarian hot yellow wax
2 grand bell mix pepper
3 jalapeno peppers

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Oh my... We have some seed addicts here (and that would include me) :wink:

I'm happy to report the progress on the $0.20 "Italian Mixture". Seeded in the evening of 02/14/2010, in less than 48 hours we have massive germination:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010saladmixItalianMixture2016/790113550_9JXgT-L.jpg[/img]

Worth it? So far - indeed! Will see what it taste like :roll:

Regards,
D

wolfie

I'm jealous D!!!

Did you have it on a heating pad??

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Shan,

Nope, not on those, no heat pad... Just watered the soil-less mix, sprinkled half of the pack, lightly covered with the fine seed starting mix, misted the mix, covered the pot with clear plastic wrap. Tomorrow - onto the window sill it goes, to join the other two 24" window pots.'

I tell you, fresh cut greens every day for dinner, while 24" of snow still on the ground - nice!!!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Wolfie if my math is right that cost you 6.60 plus tax not bad huh! Oh I came by I couldn't find your house at first I called and called, finally found it but you weren't there. :lol: I'll catch you next time.

D_V if you go to my UnOfficial seed starting thread you see some (not nearly as sexy as your's,) pics of my tom sprouts, they are just baby's as of now. I think I might go sing them a song or something to calm them down.

P.S. D_V could you for once take a bad picture, you make us look bad. :P :mrgreen:

wolfie

$6.40 plus tax, $6.74 to be exact LOL
I don't think I have enough room to start em all tho LOL but sure will do my best to get going!

I finally put heating pads under my 2 sets of 72 pellet racks, I keep my house at about 55 during the day and 40 at night, and I think it is just too cold for them. Nothing has sprouted yet... hoping it isn't too late for these guys... hopefully the heat will help!!

If not, was a learning experience and will start again, not like I don't have enough seeds LOL

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

wolfie wrote: If not, was a learning experience and will start again, not like I don't have enough seeds LOL
That's a good attitude I have to keep telling myself that.

Though I started practicing late last summer.

applestar
Mod

wolfie wrote:I finally put heating pads under my 2 sets of 72 pellet racks, I keep my house at about 55 during the day and 40 at night, and I think it is just too cold for them. Nothing has sprouted yet... hoping it isn't too late for these guys... hopefully the heat will help!!
Sometimes I find I've already posted some pertinent info for another thread:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112267#112267

Hope that helps. Good luck to all of us! :D
my tom sprouts, they are just baby's as of now. I think I might go sing them a song or something to calm them down.

Gixx, don't scare the children. :lol:
Last edited by applestar on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”