rifka
Newly Registered

Bonsai Ficus

I bought a Ficus Bonsai about a year ago and it has been doing fine. Within the last few weeks though it has lost 3/4 of its leaves (they have yellowed and fallen off). I don't believe I'm over-watering it. My guess is, its the cold. (I live in a warm climate overseas but it does get chilly in the winter and there's no indoor central heating.)

Is there any thing I can do to pull my bonsai out of this? I have it under a sort of make shift heat lamp but its leaves are still yellowing.

djlen
Green Thumb

rifka wrote:I bought a Ficus Bonsai about a year ago and it has been doing fine. Within the last few weeks though it has lost 3/4 of its leaves (they have yellowed and fallen off). I don't believe I'm over-watering it. My guess is, its the cold. (I live in a warm climate overseas but it does get chilly in the winter and there's no indoor central heating.)

Is there any thing I can do to pull my bonsai out of this? I have it under a sort of make shift heat lamp but its leaves are still yellowing.
Could be the same issue as your bamboo plant. Have you fed the tree at all?
Or you may be correct and it may be the temperature. If it's been getting enough light to grow well and the cold snap you're experiencing is temporary then the heat lamp is a viable solution.
If it could use more light a screw-in compact fluorescent light would serve to light it up and also to throw some additional warmth.
BTW, I've been remiss in not welcoming you to our forum...WELCOME!!

Rosaelyn

A cold snap or a lack of adequate light could very easily cause some leafloss on a Ficus. They are also not fond of being moved around.

What were the conditions you were providing for the Ficus before the leafdrop and the heat lamp?

rifka
Newly Registered

I was out of town for a week (which I've done before with no major stress to my tree). I made sure it was watered before I left and checked it upon returning. It was then that it started yellowing and losing leaves. I didn't move its location until it started looking sick and then I only moved it from one table to the next in the same room.

rifka
Newly Registered

Interestingly I have another ficus bonsai (a smaller one) and its doing okay. It's in the same room as the other sick one but it seems okay. They both get about the same care. Also, I have two outdoor ficus (not bonsai's) that are planted in a pot outdoors. They get much more drastic watering (from the rain) and temperature changes but they are fine.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”