Ligustrum_Sinensis

Ligustrum Sinensis

Hi everyone. I would like to know something about cutting my new Bonsai tree. My parents had bought me it just before christmas. Then all the leafs has fallen down until now. But from the bottom of the tree are groving up few of young shoots(sprouts) and after just approximately 1 and half month they're over 32cm long!. should I cut it now or later ? most of tree is naked (that I'm worrying about).. just this big shoots. thx for advices.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would move your tree into a sheltered cool spot (preferably outside). And allow it to grow and do what it is going to do. If the bare spots turn out to be dead wood, (and you'll have to wait a few months to find that out), prune them back and allow the new growth to come up.

I can't say that I know the species off the top of my head. Maybe Scott will have some direct advice....

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's Hedge, Opa, just the Chinese form...

I would get rid of basal shoots as they will rob the top (trunk part) of water and nutrients. Leaf drop is probably because of low light or water.

[url]https://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/ligustrum.html[/url]

HG

Ligustrum_Sinensis

so you advice me to let the sprouts grow ? .. I'm from slovakia and we'll have begining of spring here soon. I read that this session is best for cutting bonsai. I don' want him to lost his shape :) ... :oops: I think that if I let it grow .. There'll grow another tree in this old one. :(((( .

And problem of falling leafs .. U told that tree probably doesn't have enough water or light. But I'm growing it just near the window and I water it approximately twice a day ... so I think there's no reason to fall leafs down :((((.

And last one thing ... is it possible that the hole tree had died before the sprouts began growing ??

thx

Joseph

I would take opabinia51's advice and put it outside. These are not indoor plants and even if you think it's getting enough light It may not be able too no matter how large your window is.

Get it outside and give it a season to adjust to it's surroundings.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Just remember that you will have to "Harden your tree off" before moving it completely outside.

Joseph

opabinia51 wrote:Just remember that you will have to "Harden your tree off" before moving it completely outside.
How do you go about doing that?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

When the weather warms a bit, move your tree outside during the day and move it in at night. Do this for about a month. Once then move it outside full time.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No I am recommendiong to REMOVE the water shoots at the base to allow for sap to make the journey to the main trunk and not get sidetracked by these new shoots...

HG

Ligustrum_Sinensis

The Helpful Gardener wrote:No I am recommendiong to REMOVE the water shoots at the base to allow for sap to make the journey to the main trunk and not get sidetracked by these new shoots...

HG
yea .. I think, I agree with you. maybe that's the reason why the new leaves are not growing. That all the sap is flowing :) to the sprouts... So I'll remove them .... I hope that it won't hurt my tree :(. nad after remove them ... can I administer(seed) them . if yes .. how. pls tell me :). thx .

bye

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If you mean root them in soil the answer is yes...

Scott

Ligustrum_Sinensis

yes .. I meant that .. :oops: :oops: :oops: .

And one more question. Don't you know where on the internet I could find out some rules how to cut tree ... I'm not enough couraged to do it without some advice. thanks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sure here's an article I wrote...

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/03/pruning.html[/url]

Scott

Ligustrum_Sinensis

hello ... some time ago I asked about cutting my tree ... and rooting the cuts into the soil. after how long time they will be rooted :roll: how I will know it. I cut one for try .. after approximatelly 2 weeks nothing is happening, tree , I think , has did not die ... but on the other hand .. It is not growing anyway ... is it short period of time or something is wrong with soil .. or something else ... thx for replies. bye :oops:

Joseph

It takes longer than two weeks to root a cutting. Sometimes up to three months.

A simple test you can do is to gentley tug on the cutting you are trying to root, but don't pull it out. If there is some resistance then the cutting is rooted, if not, well then its not.

Ligustrum_Sinensis

okay ... and how long they should be ??? And shall I cut the leaves down from it ?

Joseph

Ligustrum_Sinensis wrote:okay ... and how long they should be ??? And shall I cut the leaves down from it ?

I would just leave it, be patient. Only check it once a month or so.

As for defoliating it to encourage it to root, I have heard that this helps but I am not sure about this particular tree. Someone else will surely know.

This may help a little...
https://www.canadiangardening.com/howto/tech_shrubs.shtml

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The defoliation cuts down on the transpiration so the cutting does not dry out so fast. Using a rooting hormone (or good old willow water) will help out considerably, but expect weeks at least. Dirr says fast and easy so it shouldn't be too long...

Scott

Ligustrum_Sinensis

okey ... I gave bad question ... :) I wanted to know how long the sprouts shold be (I mean in ...´cm´.. legth). but thx for your answers . they helped. :!: bye bye

Joseph

Ligustrum_Sinensis wrote:okey ... I gave bad question ... :) I wanted to know how long the sprouts shold be (I mean in ...´cm´.. legth).
Before you do what? To what end?

I'm sorry I don't understand the question.

Ligustrum_Sinensis

I mean ... If I want to make some cuts from my tree ... what length they shall be ? 10cm ?? 12cm ? ...

Joseph

Cuttings? For propagation?

If so;

It doesn't matter so much what size they are just that they start below where any budding would take place. That is make the cutting below where new growth would or is sprouting from.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Leaving three or four nodes for rooting and a like number for shoots...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”