katylaide
Cool Member

Singed vegetables from heatwave

I'm in South Australia and we're at the end of a bad heatwave of several consecutive days above 40 degrees Celcius (104 degrees Farenheit). I was lazy and didn't shade my young vegetables like I have previously, and some are terribly singed from the weather, in particular my Kentucky Wonder climbing bean plants which are about a foot high and my rocket (I managed to save a few ready leaves for a salad but some were lost). The zucchini (leaves only) and broccoli plants are also somewhat damaged. Surprisingly my tomato plants, including a seedling less than 10cm tall and a rocket seedling of a different variety, also very small have barely any damage. All the plants are in raised beds except the tomato and zucchini, which are in large containers.

I was just wondering if there was anything (organic) that you suggest that could help these plants recover? With time I anticipate they'll heal themselves but if there is anything additional you can think of that might help them I'd love to hear it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow!! As I sit here in 25 degrees with snow on the ground, 104 is difficult to imagine.

For your plants to get them through the heat stress, just be sure they are getting enough water (which may be a lot in that heat, but don't drown them) and some shade. Do not feed them (nitrogen fertilizer) while they are stressed, that would be just another stressor right now. Just let them rest and recover. But do keep adding compost to your soil, helps hold the moisture.

Here's a nice little article about heat stress:

https://m.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/aug/14/no-headline---lovejoy_col/

katylaide
Cool Member

Oh wow, thanks, that's really helpful! We had a great rainy day today and I was brave enough to go outside and inspect the damage more thoroughly. The cucumber and bean plants seem to be worst hit. A young tomato plant has its first tiny fruit emerging. Some of the developing fruit on the zucchinis have gone slightly yellow. I'll quit giving them aquarium water and rabbit manure until they recover, and I'll enrich the soil with more compost (they're in need of some anyway). :D Thanks again!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”