wayne barnier

Desert Rose

Hello, I bought a desert rose about 8 months ago.Within the last 3-4 weeks all the leaves have fallen off!I assume its dormant?I have it in a south east window,but lately its been really cloudy!I give it at least a couple hours of artificial light a day,usually after it turns dark!I have been keeping the plant really dry,only watering it every 2-3 weeks!I was told to keep it pretty dry?The tree has a big base with about 7 main branches that come from the base.In the last day I have noticed that one of the branches have started to turn a brownish color from the top of the branch to about the middle of the branch!The tip of the branch also is starting to crack,and looks like its dehydrated!I have looked over the tree,and it seems like this is the only part that is affected!Can someone tell me what I should do with this plant?How should I care for it at this time of year?(Lighting,watering,temp)And also what I should do with this branch?Some people I have talked to say it should not need much light when dormant,is this true?What temp should I maintain?They also said to water a little more often,just getting the soil moist?Also said to possibly use super thrive?If anyone can help that would be great!!!Thanks, Wayne

josh1812@live.com

Desert Rose aka Adeniums have a bad reputation for northern states it probably has gone into dormancy or died. one way to tell is to scratch the trunk and if its yellow just throw it away if its green it has a chance that isnt enough light. Heres a simple rule treat it as a succulent in winter and a tropical in spring and summer. You might only have to water it once a month during winter.

wayne barnier

I scratched the trunk,and the bottom of one of the other limbs,and it was green.So far the only part of the plant that is bad is the one limb!Should I prune the limb down to where it is green,and will it grow back?Or should I let it go until spring?How about the super thrive?How much lighting if it is dormant this time of year does this plant need?Is the light basically for the foliage?Thanks again!!! Wayne

djlen
Green Thumb

wayne barnier wrote:I scratched the trunk,and the bottom of one of the other limbs,and it was green.So far the only part of the plant that is bad is the one limb!Should I prune the limb down to where it is green,and will it grow back?Or should I let it go until spring?How about the super thrive?How much lighting if it is dormant this time of year does this plant need?Is the light basically for the foliage?Thanks again!!! Wayne
Wayne, what kind of potting medium is it in? Does it drain well? I keep my Adenium in pure turface and the water seems to run right through it. So I can water mine whenever it looks a bit dry or starts to shrivel.
If yours is looking wrinkly I would give it some water. It is very susceptible to root rot if left to stand in very wet soil, especially soil that isn't well drained.
I have mine under shop lights which are those 4 foot fluorescents that hang over work benches. If you only have one plant that is light needy you can buy a single fluorescent fixture and a screw-in compact fluorescent bulb to hang over your Adenium. Yes, it likes a lot of light.
Mine gets 16 hours a day, set on a timer. No, mine is not dormant. It's throwing leaves currently. If kept warm and well lit they will grow in winter. Just a bit slower. Yes, the light is for the foliage. The leaves of all plants are what use the light to feed the plant and cause it to grow.
The type of soil/medium you are using is very important. Please reply and tell us what it is. A picture of two would really help.

wayne barnier

Thanks Len, I did let the tree get really dry,I have two moisture meters that I use on all my trees.Last night I did give it a little water,I didn't soak it though because of root rot!The soil was extra soil I bought from the place I bought it from.It has perlite, sand,and not sure what else is in it?After watering the plant the meter still read almost completely dry!Should it be any wetter than this?I also added some super thrive to the water!That won't hurt will it?I maintain the heat inside at about 66-67 is this good enough?Should I leave the bad branch alone,and see what happens?or prun it off?Is it possible it will recover?It is a light brownish color from the tip,to the middle of the branch!Everything else seems really green?Could it be from under watering??Should I be fertilizing the tree now?I really don't fertilize my tree this time of year, I live in Michigan!!Thanks, any info more info and help would be great!!!! Wayne

djlen
Green Thumb

Until the branch browns down close to the trunk (a picture would be of immense help here, both of the plant and the soil) I would leave it alone.
You are giving it pretty much winter conditions between the lighting and the temperature. My plant room varies between 72°F during the night when the lights are off, to 84°F during the 'daylight' hours. I fertilize all my plants at 1/4 strength with each watering. I water my Adenium weekly and it gets fed then. But it's planted in an non-organic medium so it gets no nourishment from the 'soil' and needs supplemental feeding. Also, it's growing at this time. Yours sounds like it's dormant.
I'm wondering if there is *ANY* organic matter in your potting mixture. And how long it's been in that mixture. It appears to be dormant from your replies but a plant needs some nourishment over time to survive.
If it was mine, I would get it under a bright fluorescent light or compact fluorescent light and see how it responds. The light will tend to warm it a bit as well when lighted better and the plant should respond to those improved conditions.

djlen
Green Thumb

Here is some more information that might be of assistance:
https://www.spicewoodspines.com/caresheets/adeniumcare.html

And another:
https://mrbrownthumb.blogspot.com/2007/02/adenium-obesum-care.html

I hope these help you with your plant.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”