Jake L.

Mints in Jars

Could mints be grown in small jars? By jars I mean Honey jars, Apple Sauce Jars, Salsa jars, etc.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, but you would have to be able to provide some kind of drainage holes in the bottom, I think, or figure out some way to keep the roots from being overly wet.

Eventually the plant would outgrow the small container and become root bound, requiring transfer to a larger container or the ground outdoors.

Jake L.

Yes, sorry. I mean to use as a plant pot. I did not think about drainage holes.

Jake L.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Creativity is awesome.

Is it possible that if I have a 2ft x 2ft x 2ft container that I could grow multiple species of mint in the same container?

Such species are
Spearmint
Peppermint
Apple Mint

joshbuchan

try not to grow them from seed, they're really tricky to germinate. try young plants or cuttings, just put them in a largerish clay pots. Don't plant them out in the garden unless you want them to take over the whole place! they grow like weeds and are very hard to get ride of but They're very easy to look after and taste good ^^ good luck.

Jake L.

Yup, I've read and came to a conclusion that they can be very invasive plants. I also read that peppermint should be started by cuttings. Spearmint and other mints are a bit easier to germinate, but I am not sure.

joshbuchan

if I put u of I am very very sorry, just start of with one plant in a pot then carry it on from there. u might not need asmuch as u think and there are somany other herbs out there for us to get stuck into.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I just repotted my mint today and the roots were at least 5 or 6 inches long. What are the minimum depth requirements for adult mint plants?

The best containers I ever made were made from industrial sized pickle buckets you might find at a bar. I drilled holes in the bottom and vwalla
On the side there is a warning label saying not to let your kids drown in them but now they have plants growing out of them hehehe
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/dddd.jpg[/img]
Thats a mint plant far left. I wonder if the roots have enough space

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mint doesn't generally mind being crowded ... or mind much of anything else, as noted it is an aggressive spreader that is not too picky about conditions.

For growing several mints in one container, the trouble is that they will get all intermingled and then you won't know which is what. In case you want to harvest your apple mint separately from peppermint, it will get very difficult. All the mints tend to look a lot alike.

I've started spearmint and pennyroyal from seed with not too much trouble.

Jake L.

So I'm guessing that 2 Spearmints could be in one container then?

Also, for those in the United States, how about having a 2 Liter soda bottle or a Gallon Milk Jug for germinating. I'd put drainage holes and cut off the skinnier parts on the top. Good containers for germinating, or not?

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”