19ashe86

Care for a Dragon Tree? Dracaena or Dracaena marginata

hello, my father passed away recently and I kept one of the plants that was sent as a gift. What I thought was a palm, isn't. Turns out its called a dragon tree (which is funny cuz my dads chinese zodiac is dragon) I was told there are 2 species and was wondering if the TLC for it is different between the two?? here's a picture

[img]https://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k191/19ashe86/100_1734.jpg[/img]

I was told its a great specimen

I was told its either a a Dracaena, or very possibly, Dracaena marginata

whats the difference??

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Dracaena is the name of the genus in which your plant is classified. Marginata is the species name. Every living thing has both a genus name and a species name. Modern humans, for instance, are in the genus 'Homo' and the species 'sapiens'... Homo sapiens.

Your plant is more than likely Dracaena marginata, but there are other members of the genus Dracaena. If you use Google Images to search for dracaena, you will see pics of several. Here are just a couple of them:

[img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/Kisal_photos/dracaena1.jpg[/img]
Dracaena deremensis 'Lemon Lime'

[img]https://www.houseofplants.co.uk/Resources/Pic_dracaena_massanaegea100_close.jpg[/img]
Dracaena fragratissima 'Massangeana'

(The name inside the quote marks is the variety name. :) )

Dracaena marginata likes bright, indirect light, but it will tolerate low light. Allow the soil to dry down to about 1/2 inch before watering, but then water very thoroughly. Dig into the soil with your fingertip to see how dry it is. Don't allow water to collect in the plant's drainage tray/saucer. If the humidity in your house is below 40%, use a spray bottle to lightly mist the plant with water.

HTH! :)

19ashe86

thanks!!!

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Also remember to change the soil yearly. This species doesn't tolerate salt buildup to well.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Kisal, Excellent info as always. I've missed being on the boards. 8)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Happy to see you again, Julie! :)

19ashe86

ok so that dragon tree died but I got a new one and am going to try to keep this one alive lolol

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Don't withhold water. I think that's what killed your first one. Just allow the top of the soil to become dry between waterings. You don't want it to become dry any deeper down than 1/2 to 1 inch. Dig into the soil with your fingers to check for dryness. Then water thoroughly, not just a tiny bit at a time.

Dracaenas aren't cacti or succulents. They need water. But they aren't water plants, either, so they don't want to be soaking wet all the time. The soil must be fast draining, or the roots will rot. Check the soil with your finger to see if it needs to be watered, and when the top 1/2 to 1 inch feels dry, then give the plant a good big drink. Afterward, let all the excess water drain out the bottom of the pot before you replace the pot in the saucer. Your plant should do fine. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”