PowerFlower
Newly Registered

Do Roses Pose a Health Hazard to Cats?

grandpasrose wrote:You are most welcome! Drop back anytime with questions or just to chat, that's why we're here! :wink:

Val
Hello everybody! :D I have a question about cats.
Someone told me that rosebushes are harmfull to cats. I'm planning to plant rosebushes in spring, but I certainly don't want to upset my calico cat, she is already a little nervous about other issues around the house, such as dogs and squirels. :shock:
She is a 8 year old cat and I am afraid she can't handle stressfull situations that well anymore.
Do any of you have any experience with cats and rosebushes? :?:

PS, I'm new here and this is a great place.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I've never read any literature on the topic but, I can say that my Cats haven't had any problems with rose bushes.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Welcome PowerFlower! I have never heard that before. I have two cats, and over 70 rose bushes, and they have never had a problem. In fact, my cats like to lay in amongst the roses when it is hot to get some shade. I don't think your cat should have a problem! :)
Feel free to stop back in anytime! :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Chiming in with my two cents; I'd never heard that about roses and cats, PF...I don't have but one, but that last house was surrounded by them and while they DID keep the boys from killing all the birds they would have liked (certainly a good thing), they never seemed to harm them... :?

Scott
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PowerFlower
Newly Registered

Thank you all for trying to answer my question. :D I believe I should contact my vet, cause I'm not convinced my cat will be safe. :!:
My cat is important to me. There must be a valid reason for people to warn me about cats and rosebushes. I will keep you folks informed. Hopefully I can get an appointment sometime next week. I will also contact my local nursery.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Best of luck! Feel free to drop in any time! :wink:

Val

PowerFlower
Newly Registered

Btw, my cat is a "fixed" female, I'm not sure if that plays a roll in all of this, but I will find out.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

PF, if you do find out anything we were unaware of, please let us know. Other than that I do not have much to add, other than to question your informant and where they got their info. I am VERY dubious...

Scott

PowerFlower
Newly Registered

The Helpful Gardener wrote:PF, if you do find out anything we were unaware of, please let us know. Other than that I do not have much to add, other than to question your informant and where they got their info. I am VERY dubious...

Scott
Some people down the street pointed it out to me. I suppose it could be that they don't like my cat. Are they pulling my leg? I know they have three little ugly loud dogs.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I wouldn't doubt they are pulling your leg! I would be very interested in hearing if you find out contrary to our belief that there is no harm from roses for cats. :wink:

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”